North Carolina bound...help with the laws?

newarcher

Hi all, new here (literally and figuratively).

I will be making a trip to NC on Friday to raft the Nantahala river with my wife and a bunch of friends. I live in Georgia and I have a valid CCW/CHL license and have verified that Georgia is on the NCDOJ website as a reciprocity State. I also printed out the State Attorney General's summary of the laws.

My primary questions revolve around transportation of the firearm and notification. We will be visiting the hotel, Cherokee, and possibly driving over to the welcome center to see if the Elk are out. Going in none of the prohibited places.

Let me see if I correctly understand:

First, since I have a valid CCW/CHL permit from Georgia, I am allowed to carry the gun in my center console or on my person in my vehicle, correct? I probably will not carry on person but I don't like being in hotels without a firearm.

Second, if I encounter a law enforcement officer of any kind in an official capacity, I am required by law to notify him/her.

Third, what are some of your experiences once you notify? Felony stop procedure or 'no problem'.

We checked into the hotel last year and I left the gun there as I wasn't sure where we would be going for the evening. We drove over to the welcome center to see if the Elk were out and got caught in a sobriety checkpoint. I didn't notify since I wasn't carrying but with a wife and my son in the car while unsure how the cops in NC are, I was happy to have avoided the situation.

Thanks all!

New

Come on up and enjoy North Carolina. I have not been stopped since Ibtained my CHL, however, I was a passenger in my son's truck when he was stopped for speeding. The Highway Patrolman (State) was very professional. My son did not have a CHL at that time but was carrying a holstered pistol that was lying on the center console, which is a legal "open type carry" for NC. He stoppe the truck, turned off the motor and placed the keys on the dashboard, put his hands on the steering wheel and when the officer came to the window he informed him that he had a gun in the truck. The officer asked hom if he had a CHL, he said no but thepistol is lying in open view on the console. The officer looked in the truck. He saw the pistol and simply said, "please do not touch it while I am here". He proceeded to explain how fast my son was running (neither he nor I was aware that he was speeding). He took my son's driving liscense back to his car, I guess he checked for warrants etc. and came back with a nice speeding ticket for my son. He then said we were "free to go, please be careful and hold the speed down". There was no bullying or rude behavior. That is my only experience but I believe it was very positive and speaks well for law enforcement in NC.

Elk in NC? I missed them or may have just thought they were deer. Be careful if you go into the National Park, guns are still prohibited there.

Yep! If you go to the welcome center at the base of the mountain in Cherokee NC, you will see a big open field in front of it and the elk come out there and graze.

We almost slid off the top of the mountain thanks to ice (who knew 50's base of the mountain and ice on top). I darn near went over the edge (ever heard of guard rails up there? :D). I got to the base in Cherokee and there stood about 10 elk. I thought I was hallucinating! :D

That was a sight though....there were people who were able to walk up to within 100 yards of them before the Elk just slowly distanced themselves.

Thanks all,

New

Elk in NC? I missed them or may have just thought they were deer. Be careful if you go into the National Park, guns are still prohibited there.

Thanks!

Are you saying that I cannot conceal carry my gun into the National Park in my VEHICLE or just on my person? Surely they can't restrict me from carrying it in my car, right?

I believe some of the NC rafting areas may be in Natl forest.

New

The last post was in June so this may be a little late for the starter of the thread but I'll just add some info just in case someone else reads the thread.

I believe it's federal law that dictates that carry in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges are not allowed. All firearms must be unloaded and unaccessible to driver and passenger while in the car and the firearm cannot leave the car.

In the national park you cannot carry period. Open, concealed, permit or not.
Otherwise you can carry open or concealed with your permit.
All of my LEO contacts have been positive. I got stopped in Raleigh by a RPD officer awhile back going a few miles over the speed limit. I had a .45, a .40, and a 9mm lying in the passenger seat. He asked me if they were all mine and I said yep. Then he gave me a ticket and went on his way. I figured he might at least check the serial numbers, but he didn't. Guess he didn't want me touching them.

Codes of Federal Regulations, Title 36, Volume 1, Parts 1 to 199/Section 2.4 Weapons, Traps, and Nets: covers your situation:
You can transport your firearm if it is in a case, unloaded, or dismantled. If you have a summer home in a National Park, you are allowed to keep a loaded firearm in the dwelling, but you cannot travel with the firearm loaded outside of this dwelling.

In the national park you cannot carry period. Open, concealed, permit or not.
Otherwise you can carry open or concealed with your permit.
All of my LEO contacts have been positive. I got stopped in Raleigh by a RPD officer awhile back going a few miles over the speed limit. I had a .45, a .40, and a 9mm lying in the passenger seat. He asked me if they were all mine and I said yep. Then he gave me a ticket and went on his way. I figured he might at least check the serial numbers, but he didn't. Guess he didn't want me touching them.

Codes of Federal Regulations, Title 36, Volume 1, Parts 1 to 199/Section 2.4 Weapons, Traps, and Nets: covers your situation:
You can transport your firearm if it is in a case, unloaded, or dismantled. If you have a summer home in a National Park, you are allowed to keep a loaded firearm in the dwelling, but you cannot travel with the firearm loaded outside of this dwelling.

The Federal prohibitin against carrying in Natinal parks has been lifted. You are subject to state laws. So If you have an NC CC permit, or a permit from a reciprocal state, you can carry concealed in a National park in NC. And there is no law agains open carry in NC, so you can OC in a National park in NC.

That was a rider attached to one of the recently enacted credit card reform bills.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30832809/

bill

The Federal prohibitin against carrying in Natinal parks has been lifted. You are subject to state laws. So If you have an NC CC permit, or a permit from a reciprocal state, you can concealed in a National park in NC. And there is no law agains open carry in NC, so you can OC in a National park in NC.

That was a rider attached to one of the recently enacted stimulus bills.

bill

Exactly, Bill...

The Federal prohibitin against carrying in Natinal parks has been lifted. You are subject to state laws. So If you have an NC CC permit, or a permit from a reciprocal state, you can carry concealed in a National park in NC. And there is no law agains open carry in NC, so you can OC in a National park in NC.

That was a rider attached to one of the recently enacted credit card reform bills.

Congress votes to allow guns in national parks - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

bill

Thats great news. It shoulda been that way from the start.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back