Nonresident purchases?

sdismukes

Odd, but searching the various websites, I don't always see it clearly stated if a non-resident is allowed to purchase a handgun in another state. I know most states do not allow this, but wondered if there were some that did? For example, does Arizona allow non-resident purchases from (a) any other state or (b) CHL holders form other states or (c) where they have some form of reciprocity, or (d) not at all, anywhere. I don't want to get on the Fast and Furious thing, just curious why I don't see it spelled out - seems pretty fundamental...

You can't purchase AND take the gun in another state. You can however PURCHASE the gun in another state and have it shipped to a FFL in YOUR state and fill out the paperwork etc in your home state. There is generally around a $30-$50 transfer fee....

KCD is correct. FFL is the only way, from any state, you can legally buy from our of state.
Prices for a FFL are from $25-$100 in NY. Greed is the motivation.

KCD is correct. FFL is the only way, from any state, you can legally buy from our of state.
Prices for a FFL are from $25-$100 in NY. Greed is the motivation.

Exactly how is greed the motivation? It is a Federal law. The Federal government gets nothing from it (except a little bit in capital gains taxes). In fact, it costs the Federal government money because they have to do the NICS checks.

The motivation behind the law is the anti-gun groups.

Odd, but searching the various websites, I don't always see it clearly stated if a non-resident is allowed to purchase a handgun in another state. I know most states do not allow this, but wondered if there were some that did? For example, does Arizona allow non-resident purchases from (a) any other state or (b) CHL holders form other states or (c) where they have some form of reciprocity, or (d) not at all, anywhere. I don't want to get on the Fast and Furious thing, just curious why I don't see it spelled out - seems pretty fundamental...

Federal law 18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5), and (b)(3) are the applicable statutes. Face to Face transactions (no FFL involved) of any firearm, handgun, rifle or shotgun are only legal between residents of the same state and are subject to the state laws of their residency.

Rifles and shotguns may be purchased and received through an FFL in any state so long as the state laws of both the purchaser and the FFL are followed.

Other than rifles and shotguns may be purchased in any state, but must be received by the purchaser from an FFL in their own state of residence, complying with their own state laws.

Navy is right. I happen to like North American Arms mini-revolvers. I had a chance to buy one from a person in Arizona for a real good price. BUT it had to be shipped to a FFL here in Washington State and after paying the FFL fees and sales tax (yes the gun store says they have to collect a sales tax based on the fair market value) it was NOT a good deal any longer. So no little gun. How do these FEDERAL laws make us safer? THEY DO NOT!

Exactly how is greed the motivation? It is a Federal law. The Federal government gets nothing from it (except a little bit in capital gains taxes). In fact, it costs the Federal government money because they have to do the NICS checks.

The motivation behind the law is the anti-gun groups.

Federal law 18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5), and (b)(3) are the applicable statutes. Face to Face transactions (no FFL involved) of any firearm, handgun, rifle or shotgun are only legal between residents of the same state and are subject to the state laws of their residency.

Rifles and shotguns may be purchased and received through an FFL in any state so long as the state laws of both the purchaser and the FFL are followed.

Other than rifles and shotguns may be purchased in any state, but must be received by the purchaser from an FFL in their own state of residence, complying with their own state laws.
I think he was meaning the higher pricing.

$25 for the transfer plus $5 for the Form 4473 call in is what we charge. I have a copy of the shop's license in my bag for this trip north. So whatever I buy will cost me shipping and the call in fee when I get back here. If you get a Type 03 C&R FFL, you can buy C&R guns and take them with you. But not non-C&R guns.

I think he was meaning the higher pricing.

$25 for the transfer plus $5 for the Form 4473 call in is what we charge. I have a copy of the shop's license in my bag for this trip north. So whatever I buy will cost me shipping and the call in fee when I get back here. If you get a Type 03 C&R FFL, you can buy C&R guns and take them with you. But not non-C&R guns.

Call in fee? It's an 800 #, no?

Call in fee? It's an 800 #, no?

No. A firearm purchased out of state, such as from Gunbroker or an out of state dealer must be shipped to a FFL in your area. That FFL will then charge you a fee to perform the background check so he can turn the gun over to you. Only an FFL can call in for the background check to NICS. The FFL must receive the firearm when it is shipped to him, log it in on his book, have you fill out the 4473, verify it is complete, either call in or enter the data into the system on the computer and then log the firearm out of his books to you.

A $25 fee is very reasonable for performing that work. I charge $25. I think the $100 fee is pretty high. If someone wants to charge you $100, fine someone else to handle the transaction.

No. A firearm purchased out of state, such as from Gunbroker or an out of state dealer must be shipped to a FFL in your area. That FFL will then charge you a fee to perform the background check so he can turn the gun over to you. Only an FFL can call in for the background check to NICS. The FFL must receive the firearm when it is shipped to him, log it in on his book, have you fill out the 4473, verify it is complete, either call in or enter the data into the system on the computer and then log the firearm out of his books to you.

A $25 fee is very reasonable for performing that work. I charge $25. I think the $100 fee is pretty high. If someone wants to charge you $100, fine someone else to handle the transaction.

Yes, that I get. But S&W645 was saying $25 transfer fee AND $5 "call in fee"....which to me sounds like he charges two different fees.

Wow, $100 for 5 minutes of paperwork and a 1 minute phone call? I need to rent some commercial space and get serious about my FFL.. although I wouldn't charge over $20. I haven't seen any shops that charge that much, but I have seen a couple in the Albany area that charge $50 - and talk about greed, if I purchased the already overpriced handgun with tax, they were going to charge me their $50 transfer fee plus shipping to get it to 30 miles over into VT, and then I would have had to pay my FFL's $25 fee.

To sdismukes - as said before it's federal law that you can not purchase and obtain a handgun in another state, even in a private sale. It must be sent to one of your home-state's FFL. Rifles and shotguns are legal for purchase through a dealer (not private out of state), but obviously make sure if you have any restrictions they follow them. The law about private purchases really doesn't do much good for those of us in free states, but I'd assume it's in place because of places that make it very hard for their residents to own handguns, such as NY\NYC, CA, Chicago, and Washington DC.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back