None Resident permit question

GottaBeAh.40

Crazy old Bird
Does anyone know what state will allow a none resident, who does not own property in that state to apply for a CCP/CCL that is hononed by the state of South Carolina?

Thanks

Check the recprocity map. e.g. I have a FL CWL and live in AR. Many states will honor my permit. Only a few do not recognize it, and a few more will only accept a permit if it is a resident permit.

Skip

South Carolina only accepts permits from residents of the issuing state. They do not accept non-resident permits from any state.

South Carolina only accepts permits from residents of the issuing state. They do not accept non-resident permits from any state.
Not quite true. South Carolina will issue a permit if you own property in that state. Therefore you do not have to be a resident of that state. Just own property. It is true that they do not recognize non-resident permits of other states. S Carolina does not recognize my Pa. resident permit. They will also not recognize my Florida non-resident permit which I hope to receive soon. They are a bit backlogged.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what state will allow a none resident, who does not own property in that state to apply for a CCP/CCL that is hononed by the state of South Carolina?

Thanks
Pennsylvania gives carry permits to non residents. So do some other states. The qualifier is that you must have a carry permit from the state you reside in. S Carolina does not recognize non resident permits except their own >>> see above post

Not quite true. South Carolina will issue a permit if you own property in that state. Therefore you do not have to be a resident of that state. Just own property. It is true that they do not recognize non-resident permits of other states. S Carolina does not recognize my Pa. resident permit. They will also not recognize my Florida non-resident permit which I hope to receive soon. They are a bit backlogged.

Wasn't talking about a South Carolina permit. My statement was that they would not accept non-resident permits from other states. The only permits they accept (other than theirs) are those issued to residents of the issuing state that has reciprocity.

Kinda nice here in Vermont as we do not need a permit.As long as you can legally own/obtain a firearm,you can carry.Just have to follow fed guidelines(NO carry in schools,gov buildings/post office,etc.)The downfall is no other states will recognize that,except Alaska

On a positive note, in SC one may keep a loaded handgun in the glovebox or console box of his vehicle even without a CC permit of any sort.

Kinda nice here in Vermont as we do not need a permit.As long as you can legally own/obtain a firearm,you can carry.Just have to follow fed guidelines(NO carry in schools,gov buildings/post office,etc.)The downfall is no other states will recognize that,except Alaska

You can't carry within 1000 feet of school zone. Is there a school zone map for Vermont? I spend a lot of time in the high peaks area of the Adirondacks and have thought of wondering over to Vermont.

At this time in Louisiana a Florida non-resident CCW permit is allowed but there is a BIG push by the State Legislation to no longer honor any non-resident CCW permits.

I started to take issue with you on that statement, but then I remembered my own mantra...if the state has only ONE place on it's list, the list is too long! LOL!!

Don't take my word on how Louisiana is trying to change it's laws on non-resident CCW Permits. Check out this link at Bayou Shooter's website: FL Non-resident - BayouShooter.com Forums - So far it's not a done deal but from all I've read it looks as if it's heading that way. The primary target so far seems to be the Florida non-resident permits.

The primary issues of concern in LA is the lack of firearms training necessary to get a FL non-resident CCW Permit, as well as LA not really knowing how many of it's citizens are carrying FL non-resident permits.

Last edited:
I wish they would just, honestly and fairly, make a national carry permit system. I would not have to worry about this state-to-state business anymore!:fie:

Don't take my word on how Louisiana is trying to change it's laws on non-resident CCW Permits. Check out this link at Bayou Shooter's website: FL Non-resident - BayouShooter.com Forums - So far it's not a done deal but from all I've read it looks as if it's heading that way. The primary target so far seems to be the Florida non-resident permits.

Off topic, but I just wanted to thank you for your service in Viet Nam. An older brother of mine was KIA there in 1967. Con Thien province.

The primary issues of concern in LA is the lack of firearms training necessary to get a FL non-resident CCW Permit, as well as LA not really knowing how many of it's citizens are carrying FL non-resident permits.

That doesn't make much sense. With the exception of FL having the additional option of using Hunter Safety...the training standards seem to be the same.

FL Training

Acceptable Training Documentation

1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate because it cannot be returned.
2. A copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
* Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
* Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
* Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
* Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
* Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card; discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
* Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
* Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.

The photocopy of your training certificate must be clear and legible and include your name, the instructor's name, signature, and certification number. Please do not send the original certificate; it cannot be returned.

Link Removed

D.(1) In addition to the requirements of Subsection C of this Section, an applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(a) Completion of any National Rifle Association handguns safety or training course conducted by a National Rifle Association certified instructor.

(b) Completion of any Department of Public Safety and Corrections approved firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school.

(c) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections and offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.

(d) Possession of a current valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued by a parish law enforcement officer.

(e) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.

(f) Completion of a law enforcement training academy program certified by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training. However, any person retired from full-time service as a Louisiana peace officer need only demonstrate that he was properly certified by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training at the time of retirement.

(g) Completion of small arms training while serving with the Armed Forces of the United States of America as evidenced by any of the following:

(i) For personnel released or retired from active duty, possession of an "Honorable Discharge" or "General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions" as evidenced by a Department of Defense Form 214 (DD-214).

(ii) For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the National Guard or reserve components of the Armed Forces, possession of certification of completion of basic training with service record evidence of having successfully completed small arms training and qualification.

(h) The National Rifle Association's personal protection course.

(2) Instructors for any class, training, or course of instruction authorized by this Subsection, except for small arms training in military service as provided in Subparagraph (1)(g) of this Subsection, shall be certified as an instructor by the National Rifle Association as an instructor for civilians or law enforcement or by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training as a firearms instructor. Any safety or training course or class as described in this Subsection, except for basic handgun training in military service provided in Subparagraph (1)(g) of this Subsection, shall include instruction in child access prevention.

E.(1) A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes, or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant, or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or confirms participation in firearms competition or honorable discharge shall constitute evidence of qualification pursuant to Subsection D of this Section.

I didn't enter into this conversation to argue with anyone. The information I posted here comes from Bayou Shooters website where the forum about non-resident CCW Permits is a hot topic, and especially Florida's non-resident CCW Permits. I am just passing on information about the bill before the Louisiana Legislature and the almost overwhelming support found at Bayou Shooters site. Many of the posters to that web site are current or former LEO's who know what they are talking about. Do not take your refusal to acknowledge the information I post here out on me. Another issue posted at Bayou Shooter is that all one has to do is submit their DD Form 214, regardless of how old it is. Mine was from back in 1972 and Florida accepted it. I have taken several very involved firearms courses over the years so I am current on Louisiana laws dealing with carrying a concealed handgun and have been carrying a concealed handgun for years. Go to Bayou Shooters website and read for yourself if you take issue with what I've posted here. A couple of months ago the top cop in Louisiana issued a mandate stating that affectively immediately Louisiana would no be honoring Florida non-resident CCW Permits. One or two days later he retracted the document. Now this issue is up for debate and we should find out soon what the verdict will be.

Thank you....

Off topic, but I just wanted to thank you for your service in Viet Nam. An older brother of mine was KIA there in 1967. Con Thien province.

I appreciate your acknowledging my military service. You have my heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your brother.

I didn't enter into this conversation to argue with anyone. The information I posted here comes from Bayou Shooters website where the forum about non-resident CCW Permits is a hot topic, and especially Florida's non-resident CCW Permits. I am just passing on information about the bill before the Louisiana Legislature and the almost overwhelming support found at Bayou Shooters site. Many of the posters to that web site are current or former LEO's who know what they are talking about. Do not take your refusal to acknowledge the information I post here out on me. Another issue posted at Bayou Shooter is that all one has to do is submit their DD Form 214, regardless of how old it is. Mine was from back in 1972 and Florida accepted it. I have taken several very involved firearms courses over the years so I am current on Louisiana laws dealing with carrying a concealed handgun and have been carrying a concealed handgun for years. Go to Bayou Shooters website and read for yourself if you take issue with what I've posted here. A couple of months ago the top cop in Louisiana issued a mandate stating that affectively immediately Louisiana would no be honoring Florida non-resident CCW Permits. One or two days later he retracted the document. Now this issue is up for debate and we should find out soon what the verdict will be.

Sir. If you were referring to my post....I am not looking to argue either. It was not meant to sound that way.

I was merely pointing out that the training standards seem to be the same between FL and LA so I don't see how LA can say FL's standards are lacking. LA will also accept a DD214...no specified date range.

I am neither a LA nor a FL resident, so I don't know all of the "ins and outs" of the respective laws...just what is posted on their websites.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back