Non Resident requirements for having firearm in Texas

akNeo

Hi,

I'm a H1B Visa holder and legal alien in US , currently living in Texas (waiting for my greencard). Couple of years back I got my first firearm and the document I read at that time specified that I need to own a hunting license for that. I did get a hunting license few years back to obtain the firearm for sporting. I don't have a CHL and not interested in it. Now the question is, do I need to renew my hunting license year after year to keep the firearm or is it not required ?

ATF says:

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32]

So, yes, you need to maintain a valid hunting license or permit, or you are in illegal possession of a firearm. This is not required anymore once you get your Green Card, i.e., become a Lawful Permanent Resident.

Just heard yesterday that Texas just went over the 1MILLION permits issued mark. Let's hear it for Texas!!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back