Non-resident process

Hey guys,

Do you need a CCW permit from another state in order to get a non-resident permit in Florida?

I have a Class B LTC in Massachusetts which does not allow me to carry. If I were to apply for a non-resident permit in Florida would they deny me because of that? I am not sure of the process in Florida, and to be honest I did not really read through the Florida forum (sorry if this is a repeat issue).

Can you guys offer any advice? Thanks and have an awesome day!

Thanks,
Capo

You don't really need to have a license to get a Florida permit, you just need your NRA certificate or other proof of taking a safety course

just apply from the Florida site and your permit will be in your hands in a few weeks.

Actually, the only states I'm aware of that require a nonresident to have a permit from some other state are New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.

What town issued you the Class B?

Danvers gave me the Class B LTC

I am going to apply for the Florida Non-Res permit. I just got all the paper work in the mail so I will fill that out and send it out. I have taken a pistol class here in Massachusetts, as well as a hunter safety course. These will be sufficient right?

Danvers gave me the Class B LTC

I am going to apply for the Florida Non-Res permit. I just got all the paper work in the mail so I will fill that out and send it out. I have taken a pistol class here in Massachusetts, as well as a hunter safety course. These will be sufficient right?

They should.

Just as long as you know it won't be worth jack in MA.

They should.

Just as long as you know it won't be worth jack in MA.

Oh I am aware of this. I just want to be able to actually carry when I go to Florida. I travel there alot actually.

I was just nervous because I didn't want to be denied there. How long is a non-res good for there?

Hey guys,

Do you need a CCW permit from another state in order to get a non-resident permit in Florida?

I have a Class B LTC in Massachusetts which does not allow me to carry. If I were to apply for a non-resident permit in Florida would they deny me because of that? I am not sure of the process in Florida, and to be honest I did not really read through the Florida forum (sorry if this is a repeat issue).

Can you guys offer any advice? Thanks and have an awesome day!

Thanks,
Capo

No.

A copy of your CCW instruction certificate will work. I had nonresident Nevada and Utah permits before I applied for the Florida CWP. I could have used the CCW instruction certificiate, but I decided to use my Hunter Safety Certificate, which I found buried in a drawer. It was faded, but I was able to make a decent copy. It was dated 1978. I can't believe it has been 30 years. Needless to say, it worked.

No.

A copy of your CCW instruction certificate will work. I had nonresident Nevada and Utah permits before I applied for the Florida CWP. I could have used the CCW instruction certificiate, but I decided to use my Hunter Safety Certificate, which I found buried in a drawer. It was faded, but I was able to make a decent copy. It was dated 1978. I can't believe it has been 30 years. Needless to say, it worked.

I've heard and read that Florida has a liberal interpretation of what constitutes firearms training to qualify for a permit. Glad to see that it worked out for you.

I've heard and read that Florida has a liberal interpretation of what constitutes firearms training to qualify for a permit. Glad to see that it worked out for you.

I am very grateful to Florida for the opportunity to obtain their nonresident CWP.

I have taken a hunters education class as well as a pistol class. I will be sending them both of these. I hope that they issue me their CCW permit.

I have taken a hunters education class as well as a pistol class. I will be sending them both of these. I hope that they issue me their CCW permit.

I wouldn't volunteer more than you have to. All you need is the Hunter Safety Certificate. It will work. It did for me.

I wouldn't volunteer more than you have to. All you need is the Hunter Safety Certificate. It will work. It did for me.

I disagree. Some states (like here in PRHI), students are not able to handle firearms. Depending on who reviews your paperwork, if they somehow figure out that the only "firearms safety" class that you had was one in which you were shown a bunch of pictures of firearms and told how to store them etc., and not allowed to HANDLE any firearms, your permit may get denied. As a Certified NRA Instructor, I know of at least one specific case. A lady here in PRHI applied for her FL CCW License. The ONLY training she had was the State of Hawaii Hunter Education course. Someone in the state of FL actually called her to ask if she handled any firearms in the safety class. The lady answered honestly and was told that she will be receiving a letter in the mail in the next week or so. Upon receiving the letter, the lady contacted one of the instructors in her PRHI Hunter Safety class, who in turn contacted me to assist her. I read through the letter and found that other than some minor paperwork issues, the application was denied due to "Inadequate firearms training". One of the suggestions from the FL Dept. of Agriculture (the issuing agency) was to take a NRA Basic Pistol course. The lady took a class from me, I issued her an affidavit that she included with her application and resubmitted it to the FL Dept. of Agriculture. Three weeks later, her CCW License arrived in the mail.

When I applied for my FL CCW License, I applied in person and chatted with the Sheriff Deputy who took my fingerprints. When I mentioned that I lived in PRHI, his face turned blank. He asked if I had any "hands on" experience with handguns. I told him that I was in the military and had years of experience with a variety of firearms. He recommended that I submit as much relevant firearms training information as I could. With that advice, I included a copy of my military ID, affidavit from a Certified NRA Instructor and a copy of my Hawaii Hunter Education Card. Needless to say, I got my FL CCW License.

If you're unsure of what you need to do or what "counts" in satisfying the requirements, don't be afraid to call the issuing agency or contact somebody who processes the permit/license applications.

gf

I disagree. Some states (like here in PRHI), students are not able to handle firearms. Depending on who reviews your paperwork, if they somehow figure out that the only "firearms safety" class that you had was one in which you were shown a bunch of pictures of firearms and told how to store them etc., and not allowed to HANDLE any firearms, your permit may get denied. As a Certified NRA Instructor, I know of at least one specific case. A lady here in PRHI applied for her FL CCW License. The ONLY training she had was the State of Hawaii Hunter Education course. Someone in the state of FL actually called her to ask if she handled any firearms in the safety class. The lady answered honestly and was told that she will be receiving a letter in the mail in the next week or so. Upon receiving the letter, the lady contacted one of the instructors in her PRHI Hunter Safety class, who in turn contacted me to assist her. I read through the letter and found that other than some minor paperwork issues, the application was denied due to "Inadequate firearms training". One of the suggestions from the FL Dept. of Agriculture (the issuing agency) was to take a NRA Basic Pistol course. The lady took a class from me, I issued her an affidavit that she included with her application and resubmitted it to the FL Dept. of Agriculture. Three weeks later, her CCW License arrived in the mail.

When I applied for my FL CCW License, I applied in person and chatted with the Sheriff Deputy who took my fingerprints. When I mentioned that I lived in PRHI, his face turned blank. He asked if I had any "hands on" experience with handguns. I told him that I was in the military and had years of experience with a variety of firearms. He recommended that I submit as much relevant firearms training information as I could. With that advice, I included a copy of my military ID, affidavit from a Certified NRA Instructor and a copy of my Hawaii Hunter Education Card. Needless to say, I got my FL CCW License.

If you're unsure of what you need to do or what "counts" in satisfying the requirements, don't be afraid to call the issuing agency or contact somebody who processes the permit/license applications.

gf

That is why I will submit both certificates. I did handle firearms in the LTC class. I don't think its a NRA class, however it was a Massachusetts Class. I don't think I will have a problem with it. I will submit both and pray for the best. I just hope they don't deny me. I do not want that on me. I want the Floirda permit so I can eventually apply for my NH non-res.

If Florida has a problem with your firearms training documents, they will contact you and allow you to send them something else. A friend of mine had submitted an application, and there was a problem with his training certificate (I forget what it was). He wasn't denied; he was only delayed.

Your training does not have to be NRA related; NRA courses are just the most commonly recognized. Any course training certificate where you handled firearms under a certified instructor should be sufficient. You can always contact them by phone or email to ask them if it's a concern.

gf

Well, I am sorry to hear that, but that didn't happen to me. I got mine with the Hunter Safety Certificate only. Obviously, there's something wrong. A hunter safety certificate is a hunter safety certificate, regardless of what state it comes from. The course material is very similar. According to DOACS docmentation, the hunter safety certificate is acceptable.

The DOACS application handbook states:

"Completion of ANY hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish And Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state"

I don't see where it says "except Hawaii" anywhere or where you have to handle firearms. I don't know of any hunter safety courses that has a live fire or firearm handling requirement. Instructors do go over the types of firearms, the different actions and safety rules. I know people all over and they did not have to handle any firearms in their hunter safety classes. All we had to do was pass the written test and it did include firearms and firearm safety.

It sounds like the DOACS employee(s) that handled your apps could be is in violation of Florida statute, not to mention discrimination against a group of people, those who live in Hawaii. They must think that there is no hunting or shooting in Hawaii. That is illegal and subject to legal action.

Agree 100%

Never contribute whats nots required,
never volunteer what's not requested
for later it will become mandatory.

At the same time, I would argue that if you believe that sending in more than what's required will help you, then by all means do it. What's the harm in that if it helps you get the permit?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back