Non-resident permit

I am a NY resident with a NY permit to carry and am applying for my PA permit. My question is what boxes should I check in the reason to carry box. I am told not to check self-defense. Anyone got some advice and is there really a difference?

Who told you not to check self defense?

My son-in-law who just got his NY permit. Someone told him that when he was applying for the NY permit. I want to carry my pistol in PA for more than hunting, I want to carry it when I travel camping in and through PA so I want to check the box for personal defense but he thought I should check for hunting and collecting only. I am curious what others have checked who have received a PA permit.

My PA permit is from McKean Co. where most of my family resides and have for about 150+ years, mine is similar to a drivers license with photo, and in block 6. Reason To Carrry states; Self Defense. Now I go to the Sherrifs office to renew mine, it takes all of about 10 minutes. It has my NYS address but nothing else to indicate it is Non-Resident and is identical to my previous "Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms"

For your PA License check Self Defense. I've heard of people who have checked ALL of the boxes and on the license will be printed "Self Defense". Self defense option is just fine.

Centre County is a paper slip with no photo.Many people I know put down hunting & self defense and get the "Self-Defense" which is fine.Just have a valid PA hunting license and carry a revolver no semi-automatics allowed while hunting in PA.

Matt
I just got off the phone with the CC PA sheriff's office. It is perfectly ok to shrink down the license to 60% and laminate it. This is what they do for resident licenses.

Cheers
Joe

Thanks, that saves a phone call :biggrin:

Interesting. Chester County's Sheriff's page says the following:

License to carry a firearm will be issued to Chester County residents only, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF: out of state sworn police officers with proper identification.

Link Removed

Is that legal?

Interesting. Chester County's Sheriff's page says the following:

License to carry a firearm will be issued to Chester County residents only, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF: out of state sworn police officers with proper identification.

Link Removed

Is that legal?

No it is not. By statute she must accept applications from and SHALL ISSUE to Chester County residents AND any non-PA resident that has a home state license if such state issues such license.

(b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

Sheriff Welsh...being President of the PA Sheriff's Assoc...should know this.

I was in Lancaster today. I went to the Sheriff's office and had my permit in twenty minutes. Came on a plastic card.

Milford county only issues to non residents with a carry license with no restrictions.Too bad Centre county is no longer going to issue through the mail because a new law requires you to appear in person to sign the permit.Centre county by the way was the easiest one to get.Some counties in PA are easy for residents,Philadelphia PD gives a hard time to applicant's who live in the city that many obtain the Utah non resident permit that doesn't require a permit from your home state.Just hope that PA won't do away with out of state permits like FL & UT.

FYI. Based on what I read in these forums i applied for an out of state PA (Center Country) license. I just received the license. It took 10 calendar days from when I mailed it to when I received it (including the Christmas holiday!). Total cost was $26 plus self addressed stamped envelope.

FYI. Based on what I read in these forums i applied for an out of state PA (Center Country) license. I just received the license. It took 10 calendar days from when I mailed it to when I received it (including the Christmas holiday!). Total cost was $26 plus self addressed stamped envelope.

Sorry to hear you had to wait so long and still be overcharged $1.

Berks county last year charged me $25 and I had to wait almost 15 minutes (there were two people in line in front of me) and they didn't have a waiting room, gun magazines or free coffee! :)

Sorry to hear you had to wait so long and still be overcharged $1.

Berks county last year charged me $25 and I had to wait almost 15 minutes (there were two people in line in front of me) and they didn't have a waiting room, gun magazines or free coffee! :)

gotta be fair....he was dealing with the USPS as a middleman. :rolleyes:

mjsull you got lucky, I mailed my app to Center Country on Jan 2nd and called on Jan 18th to verify it arrived (P/O Said it Should have taken 5-7 days to get there) they said they have a large stack of applications and could not tell me if it arrived or not? They checked the system I was not in the system.

Postal line was out the door so I just used a stamp :wacko: I should have used delivery confirm. Now will just have check my bank every few days to see when the check clears.

Just hope it arrived you know USPS!

Wow, it is the 30th and the check still has not cleared the bank I called again on the 25th to see if it even arrived well Centre County said not in the stack in front of her and they have a large stack and are a few days behind call back in another week? Seems like they are a bit disorganized I know its my fault for not sending with a delivery confirm but I would hate to have a check and the info on the application floating some place.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back