Non-resident permit

The only requirement by law is that references not be related to you. They can live anywhere in the US...although there are some sheriffs that like to add their own illegal "requirements". I see where Chester sheriff says they "should be" Chester residents...but they cant require that.

Also note where Chester sheriff states:

The License to Carry a Firearm issued in Chester County is valid throughout Pennsylvania, including state parks and the City of Philadelphia. Please keep in mind that there are some areas where it is prohibited to carry a firearm: schools, courts (both county and district), and county properties (parks, and anywhere it may be posted).

Bolded...PA has State pre-emption meaning Counties can not create their own ordinances regarding carry...therefore, carry in a county park is perfectly legal despite what the "rules" on the sign says.

New PA Licensee!!

Well, guess what came in the mail today???? My new PA Carry License!! I sent the paperwork to the Centre County Sheriff's Office on 12/1/09. Got it back today 3 days after they sent it back to me. That means if it took 3 days to originally get there and 3 days to get it back, that left 4 days to process. And, since there was a weekend involved, it really only took 2 DAYS to process!!! WOW!!!! How can you beat that?????!!!!:yu::biggrin:

Thank you to everyone who helped my through this process of obtaining a Carry License for PA.

Congrats.

thumbsup1.gif

Ten days my friend had his permit from Centre County PA.Just a plain paper with no photo required.Easy everthing done by mail plus his refrences were never contacted.The other county my friend applied for denied his permit because his permit in his state issued a target & hunting permit only.

Centre County. Ten day turnaround mailbox to mailbox. My home state permit was target only and I received the normal permit back. It even says Self-Defense on it. :dance3:

Florida non-resident and Virginia non-resident CCW license is the way to go. Thirty six state reciprocity including PA. Getting mine this Saturday and I am a PA licensed holder.

Ten days my friend had his permit from Centre County PA.Just a plain paper with no photo required.Easy everthing done by mail plus his refrences were never contacted.The other county my friend applied for denied his permit because his permit in his state issued a target & hunting permit only.

Just curious what county denied because of restrictions. I have also heard of a few that will not even issue non-resident permits.

Just curious what county denied because of restrictions. I have also heard of a few that will not even issue non-resident permits.
Wayne & Pike County does not issue to a restricted permit like target from your home state, full carry only.Centrecounty is simple all done by mail.Pike county issues a photo ID card,Centre county is paper with no photo.The permit is good in all of PA.

The yare very good about it. Sent it out just efore christmas and received it back in one weeks time. Good to know about shrinking it down and laminating it. thanks:biggrin:

The yare very good about it. Sent it out just efore christmas and received it back in one weeks time. Good to know about shrinking it down and laminating it. thanks:biggrin:
I would make a few copies because they are rather large.I believe they do shrink and laminate for the residents.Pike county is a plastic credit card size with your photo.I would call or email first to make sure your county allows it.

I am trying to put together a list of counties in PA that issue to non-residents with restricted permits. So far, I have only heard of Centre County. If anybody knows any counties that will issues, let me know. I would like to pass this information along to my students in my training classes.

I am trying to put together a list of counties in PA that issue to non-residents with restricted permits. So far, I have only heard of Centre County. If anybody knows any counties that will issues, let me know. I would like to pass this information along to my students in my training classes.
Just Centre county from what I know.This info was passed on at a PBA meeting two years ago.Everyone I know has unrestricted that was issued a LTC from Pike or Wayne.The one person that applied was denied because his permit was for business purposes only with target & hunting.This is a very valid point to address your students who may apply for a LTC from Centre county when they are carrying a pistol from there restricted permit .If you get involved in a incident that is in PA with your pistol that is registered on a restricted permit from that county.You may get your permit suspended or revoked because you violated the restrictions unless it was for target or hunting.PA said that your home permit must be a carry permit from your home state.This info is very accurate,I know a person who had a restricted permit,he tried to get a full carry with no luck .He spent the best $800 dollars, he appealed the attorney showed that his client has taken courses in hunter safety along with an NRA pistol class in order to apply for a LTC a firearm out of state and the restricted permit would place his client in a dangerous position since his pistol was restricted from his home state.The judge agreed that his restricted permit may cause a suspension if his pistol was used in another manor.This is good to know,if your hunting or target shooting it's ok out of state,if used for any other purpose you risk being suspended/revoked.

Just Centre county from what I know.This info was passed on at a PBA meeting two years ago.Everyone I know has unrestricted that was issued a LTC from Pike or Wayne.The one person that applied was denied because his permit was for business purposes only with target & hunting.This is a very valid point to address your students who may apply for a LTC from Centre county when they are carrying a pistol from there restricted permit .If you get involved in a incident that is in PA with your pistol that is registered on a restricted permit from that county.You may get your permit suspended or revoked because you violated the restrictions unless it was for target or hunting.PA said that your home permit must be a carry permit from your home state.This info is very accurate,I know a person who had a restricted permit,he tried to get a full carry with no luck .He spent the best $800 dollars, he appealed the attorney showed that his client has taken courses in hunter safety along with an NRA pistol class in order to apply for a LTC a firearm out of state and the restricted permit would place his client in a dangerous position since his pistol was restricted from his home state.The judge agreed that his restricted permit may cause a suspension if his pistol was used in another manor.This is good to know,if your hunting or target shooting it's ok out of state,if used for any other purpose you risk being suspended/revoked.

The problem with that...is that having a "restricted" home license is NOT a valid reason for denial in PA. The law doesnt say your home license must be unrestricted, just that you have to have one.

If you get denied...and the sheriff specifically puts "restricted home license" as the reason, you can fight that one in the courts.

The problem with that...is that having a "restricted" home license is NOT a valid reason for denial in PA. The law doesnt say your home license must be unrestricted, just that you have to have one.

If you get denied...and the sheriff specifically puts "restricted home license" as the reason, you can fight that one in the courts.
Only Centre county issues to restricted permits .On the application instructions your permit from your home state must be a carry license.Pike county underlines in bold letters that your permit must be unrestricted from your home state to carry a firearm.I think the other counties won't even entertain an out of state application.Some counties require an interview with character refrences from that county.Pike county is on the border with NY so they have many people trying to apply.The Sheriff is pro gun,AS LONG AS YOUR PERMIT IS A CARRY PERMIT WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS HE WOULD ISSUE WITHOUT HESITATION.

Only Centre county issues to restricted permits .On the application instructions your permit from your home state must be a carry license.Pike county underlines in bold letters that your permit must be unrestricted from your home state to carry a firearm.I think the other counties won't even entertain an out of state application.Some counties require an interview with character refrences from that county.Pike county is on the border with NY so they have many people trying to apply.The Sheriff is pro gun,AS LONG AS YOUR PERMIT IS A CARRY PERMIT WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS HE WOULD ISSUE WITHOUT HESITATION.

and yet he's adding his own illegal restrictions...just like those that require references to be from the same county...

and yet he's adding his own illegal restrictions...just like those that require references to be from the same county...
I believe the Sheriff is going by what the state want's,PA application clearly read's you must have a carry license from your home state.When you show your permit it must say Full carry or No Restrictions.Like a drivers license they have them also,some states are restricted and require training in order to have a CCW.There are many people with target only permits that were denied a LTC from PA.I know someone who had his restrictions lifted in NY because he traveled to PA on business.Every county does what they want.Centre county Sheriff is simple,just photo copy send the check and your good to go in about 10 days.

I believe the Sheriff is going by what the state want's,PA application clearly read's you must have a carry license from your home state.

Agreed...you must have a carry license from your home state in order to receive a non-resident PA LTCF.

18 6109e(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

When you show your permit it must say Full carry or No Restrictions.

Thats where I disagree. There is NOTHING in PA state law above that says anything about No Restrictions on that home license.

Every county does what they want.

And there is another point of contention. The process is supposed to be UNIFORM throughout the state. The sheriff does not have the authority to add anything to the process.

Agreed...you must have a carry license from your home state in order to receive a non-resident PA LTCF.

Thats where I disagree. There is NOTHING in PA state law above that says anything about No Restrictions on that home license.

And there is another point of contention. The process is supposed to be UNIFORM throughout the state. The sheriff does not have the authority to add anything to the process.
It must be a carry license,Every Sheriff looks at it that way.When you go in person for the interview the very first question they ask you is if you have a carry license from your home state and check your permit and it goes from there.What sucks is many of the permits in New York are printed with the type-sportsman which in PA is not a LTC so they may look at it the same way.You agreed that it must be a carry permit from your home state.This is what I know,the sheriff from Pike county would honor a out of state permit and looks at the law which goes by every county.In New York every county is allowed to place restriction's.If you vioate the the restriction you lose your permit. Centre county allows it.The sheriff realized that the process is difficult in New York to obtain a permit for a gun to carry and grants a LTC which is what every county should do.

I am a NY resident with a NY permit to carry and am applying for my PA permit. My question is what boxes should I check in the reason to carry box. I am told not to check self-defense. Anyone got some advice and is there really a difference?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back