Non resident open carry in MI

1st you should never get legal advice from police.
2nd what MSP posted there is their opinion.
3rd What you read is our Concealed Pistol Law, we are talking OC here.
I just think that MSP web page is a joke. :sarcastic:
Don't rely on any advice you get from here, either. You're going to read a mix of answers, and trying to figure out the right one, could cost you your pistol.

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
Sec. 2. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.
(2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within 30 days after his or her arrival in this state.

(7) This section does not apply to the purchase of pistols from wholesalers by dealers regularly engaged in the business of selling pistols at retail, or to the sale, barter, or exchange of pistols kept as relics or curios not made for modern ammunition or permanently deactivated. This section does not prevent the transfer of ownership of pistols that are inherited if the license to purchase is approved by the commissioner or chief of police, sheriff, or their authorized deputies, and signed by the personal representative of the estate or by the next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol.

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:
(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.
(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).
(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.
(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.
Note, it says that ALL the conditions under Sec. 2 paragraph 8 must be met. Note to, it says in the beginning you must have a license to "purchase, carry, or transport" from their home state. I guess this is why Illinois' FOID card is recognized here, for that purpose.

So, unless Wisconsin issues a license to carry, purchase or transport firearms, better not bring any pistols to this state.

ya, I knew that lol.

I knew that what they would charge you with is having a non-registered pistol. What i do know know is the penalty, civil fine (and loss of the weapon) or misdemeanor with possible jail time and fine (and loss of the weapon).

either way, I'm pretty sure it would ruin your vacation.

In addition, not sure on this, you need to check it out on your own. The immunity statues in Michigan possibly would not apply, meaning that you could possibly be sued much easier. Of course as said earlier, don't trust me (or anybody on the web), check it out on your own.

you possible have another issue besides the illegal pistol. I am not sure on this, but i would suggest you check it out on your own. The Michigan DNR hunting laws are fairly restrictive for open carry in game areas, and where you snowmobile is likely to be a game area. You can concealed carry in game areas without restrictions from the DNR, but can not open carry without a hunting license in some cases (especially out of season). you may need to buy a hunting license to open carry where you are going to be snowmobiling. I think Varmints are open year round (its always fun to try to convince a DNR officer that you were squirrel hunting with a .45 lol and just as difficult as trying to convince him you were not poaching deer with that .45). Don't forget to check magazine restrictions. i am not sure on this, but i think you better check on it before your vacation is ruined. just saying.

lastly, I am not sure of the exact details, but i think i have heard somewhere that not all state laws apply to Indian reservations. if you head over to Mt. Pleasant (or any other Indian reservation), you really need to check this out. They have their own police force, and what you read about Michigan law may or may not apply. again, i am just saying, check it out.

As for not depending on the Michigan state police for what the law is, for the most part, they set the standard of what the officer on the street is taught, and thats the guy who is going to ruin your day. Seems to me IMHO, its a good idea to know what he has been trained to do. I agree that they are not the final arbitrator, but it costs lots of money and is a high risk task to get to the final arbitrator IMHO. If you have the money and are willing to take all the risks go for it.

good luck and have fun on your vacation.

Note, it says that ALL the conditions under Sec. 2 paragraph 8 must be met. Note to, it says in the beginning you must have a license to "purchase, carry, or transport" from their home state. I guess this is why Illinois' FOID card is recognized here, for that purpose.

So, unless Wisconsin issues a license to carry, purchase or transport firearms, better not bring any pistols to this state.

Good find Big Gay Al the gun its self can't be here. All the all the discussions on ocdo and research I've done I've never seen that one. But you should have posted it a week ago now hyrczyk is in the woods and the Mich Leo's will now know to arrest anyone from WI, yeah its all your fault Al !

Be aware, The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995 makes it a federal felony for you to possess a loaded gun within 1000 feet of the property line of any K-12 school, unless you have a carry permit physically issued by the State in which the school is located. This makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for you to legally carry in developed areas. The law does not recognize State reciprocity agreements.

Good find Big Gay Al the gun its self can't be here. All the all the discussions on ocdo and research I've done I've never seen that one. But you should have posted it a week ago now hyrczyk is in the woods and the Mich Leo's will now know to arrest anyone from WI, yeah its all your fault Al !
Let's hope the LEOs in the area of hyrczyk are as ignorant of that part of the law as they are about the rest. :wink:

Be aware, The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995 makes it a federal felony for you to possess a loaded gun within 1000 feet of the property line of any K-12 school, unless you have a carry permit physically issued by the State in which the school is located. This makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for you to legally carry in developed areas. The law does not recognize State reciprocity agreements.
Personally, I think the Federal GFSZ act is unconstitutional.

Personally, I think the Federal GFSZ act is unconstitutional.

The United States Appellate Courts for the First, Third, Sixth, Eight, Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Circuits disagree with you.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

The United States Appellate Courts for the First, Third, Sixth, Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Circuits disagree with you.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed
It's not my fault that they're wrong. :biggrin:

my question is can a non-resident of NC open carry? or does he need a ccw from his own state and then NC will acknowledge

Back to OP

Hi I am new here and after some searching around still haven't found the answer to this. Can some one from out of state(WI) open carry in MI? More specifically to camp grounds/while hiking up in Lake of The Clouds area and places like that.

I haven't stopped thinking about this, If you get an out of state carry license like I suggest on page 1 and have a good Michigan friend who owns a pistol you would be legal to oc it. Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back