Non-Resident CCW

henny8

Can anyone give me some insight on how to obtain a CCW in SC as a non-resident? I know it says you can have one if you own land, so does that mean I can buy a scrap acre in the middle of nowhere and thus be technically considered a "land-owner"? Does anyone have any tips on what counties would be the best, easiest, and fastest to apply in?

Can anyone give me some insight on how to obtain a CCW in SC as a non-resident? I know it says you can have one if you own land, so does that mean I can buy a scrap acre in the middle of nowhere and thus be technically considered a "land-owner"? Does anyone have any tips on what counties would be the best, easiest, and fastest to apply in?
ARTICLE 4.

CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS​

SECTION 23-31-205. Name.
This article may be cited as the "Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1996".
SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.
As used in this article:
(1) "Resident" means an individual who is present in South Carolina with the intention of making a permanent home in South Carolina or military personnel on permanent change of station orders.
(2) "Qualified nonresident" means an individual who owns real property in South Carolina, but who resides in another state.
(3) "Picture identification" means:
(a) a valid South Carolina driver's license, or if the applicant is a qualified nonresident, a valid driver's license issued by the state in which the applicant resides; or
(b) an official photographic identification card issued by the Department of Revenue, a federal or state law enforcement agency, an agency of the United States Department of Defense, or the United States Department of State.
(4) "Proof of residence" means a person's current address on the original or certified copy of:
(a) a valid South Carolina driver's license;
(b) an official identification card issued by the Department of Revenue, a federal or state law enforcement agency, an agency of the United States Department of Defense, or the United States Department of State;
(c) a voter registration card; or
(d) another document that SLED may determine that fulfills this requirement.
(5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:
(a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must be a minimum of eight hours and must include, but is not limited to:
(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force;
(ii) information on handgun use and safety;
(iii) information on the proper storage practice for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that reduces the possibility of accidental injury to a child; and
(iv) the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor;
(b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED-approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;
(c) a person who can demonstrate to the Director of SLED or his designee that he has a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns;
(d) an active duty police handgun instructor;
(e) a person who has a SLED-certified or approved competitive handgun shooting classification; or
(f) a member of the active or reserve military, or a member of the National Guard who has had handgun training in the previous three years.
SLED shall promulgate regulations containing general guidelines for courses and qualifications for instructors which would satisfy the requirements of this item. For purposes of subitems (a) and (b), "proof of training" is not satisfied unless the organization and its instructors meet or exceed the guidelines and qualifications contained in the regulations promulgated by SLED pursuant to this item.
(6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property. (7) "Proof of ownership of real property" means a certified current document from the county assessor of the county in which the property is located verifying ownership of the real property. SLED must determine the appropriate document that fulfills this requirement.

Link Removed

It doesn't really matter what county you do this in since the South Carolina CWP is a statewide shall issue permit. Everyone applies to SLED, not their county. As for where to find cheap land, well, cheap is a relative thing. But definitely stay away from the coast and bigger cities.

Rather than buying a scrap acre of land which is legal and meets the requirement go down to the beach and buy one of the condos at bargain prices in this economy. Rent it out for enough to make the payments and possibly a little extra. That is except for two week a year when you use it. From the prices now it will probably appreciate if we ever get BHO out of office then you have the best of everything. :)

Just got my curiosity going.
Is SC the only state with this provision?
Live in Peoples Republic of Illinois, last holdout against CCW, but have land in Missouri.

Would "(2) "Qualified nonresident" means an individual who owns real property in South Carolina, but who resides in another state. " include a long-term lease of any real-estate interest?

Suppose I sign a lease on a parcel of SC real estate. Under the terms of the lease - say 4 years - I undertake to pay the real-estate tax plus $1.00 per year. I pay the real-estate tax and get a receipt. Does that count?

There are also partial real-estate interests. E.g., I might buy the air-rights over a parcel; or, mineral rights under a parcel. Would these count?

Thanks
MarkPA

Would "(2) "Qualified nonresident" means an individual who owns real property in South Carolina, but who resides in another state. " include a long-term lease of any real-estate interest?

Suppose I sign a lease on a parcel of SC real estate. Under the terms of the lease - say 4 years - I undertake to pay the real-estate tax plus $1.00 per year. I pay the real-estate tax and get a receipt. Does that count?

There are also partial real-estate interests. E.g., I might buy the air-rights over a parcel; or, mineral rights under a parcel. Would these count?

Thanks
MarkPA
I'm not a lawyer nor have I ever played one on TV, but I don't think long term leasing is the same as owning. I'd be interested to hear someone explain how it would be considered the same thing. Anyone?

Hmmm...I am wondering -- does one owning a time share qualify as "ownership"? You pay property tax and association fees on it. The payments you make to the company you are buying the time share from is reported on your credit reports as a "mortgage".

I don't encourage anyone to break the law or look for ways to bend or get around the laws, since the ramifications can be significant. But it is a question for a lawyer specializing in firearms laws.

I've known of guys to chip in to buy a small piece of land so they could all get a SC permit (or license or whatever SC's nomenclature is for the privilege of exercising a right).

How can a non-resident easily comply with this training requirement:

". . . has successfully completed a . . . course . . . includ[ing], . . . :
(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force; . . . "

A non-resident is apt to have completed a course in some OTHER State including the gun and deadly force laws of the State where the training was held.

One obvious answer would be to go to SC and re-take the Basic Pistol NRA course just to get the 1-hour segment of legal training; but that's an expensive solution.

Would they take a letter from a suitably qualified trainer stating that he had given you the legal training over the phone? Then, one would submit 2 documents:
- NRA course certificate from some State other than SC; plus,
- letter from a SC trainer attesting to his having given the training for SC law

The kink I see is that the SC legal training plus the other parts of the course would not constitute a common course; the sum-of-the-parts might not constitute a coherent whole that satisfies "includes".
Thanks
MarkPA

I'm having a bit of a problem with this stuff too. My wife and I live in Georgia and most of her family is in S.C. I have a valid Georgia concealed carry license and a Florida nonresident carry permit (even though it doesn't say nonresident). The law now says that my Florida permit is good in S.C. if I'm a resident of Florida. How can I carry in S.C.? I'm always going there for family trips, or passing through to visit family in Virginia. It stinks that my 2 license combo is valid everywhere I normally vist, except for S.C. Anyone confused yet? Any advice or comment would be greatly appreciated.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back