Non-Resident Carry/Transport in Rhode Island

JAG

I'm looking for some advise. I live in Massachusetts and have a LTC Class A. I live close to the border with Rhode Island. I carry whenever possible, but I don't carry outside Massachusetts. Often, however, my wife likes to go to Providence, RI, for shopping or dining. If I'm home, it's not an issue, I leave my carry handgun in my safe and off we go. But, if we are out and about in Massachusetts, and my wife wants to go to Providence, I face a conundrum. I either go home and leave my carry handgun in my safe and go to Providence, or try to convince her to do whatever she wants in Massachusetts. Either way, I end up with a not-so-happy wife. I've looked into the requirements for obtaining a non-resident carry permit in RI, but they are not too clear and it appears they would only issue non-resident permits for people with a residence or a business in RI. I'll appreciate any advise on options I may have (e.g. transport unloaded, or clarification on non-resident permits in RI).

Rhode Island prohibits the possession of a handgun in any vehicle or conveyance, or on or about the person, whether visible or concealed, except on his or her own land.

This prohibition does not apply to:

•A concealed handgun license holder;
•The regular transportation of handguns as merchandise;
•Any person while carrying a handgun unloaded from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business, moving goods from one place of abode or business to another; or
•Any person who holds a valid license or permit issued in another state that allows the individual to carry a handgun in any vehicle or conveyance, or on or about his or her person, whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through Rhode Island without any intent on the part of the person to detain himself or herself or remain within the state.

As to applying for a RI non-resident license: not going to happen unless you can prove a need that satisfies the AG. When you get turned down, you are stuck writing letters every time you apply for new licenses or renewals in other states when their form asks whether you have ever been denied in any other state.

The only person I could refer you to for more advice is Attorney Keith Langer in Wrentham, MA. His practice includes firearms law, and he is admitted to the bar in RI.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back