Non-Res Transporting handgun through MA

Cerick

Somone recently told me that you would go to jail if you transport a hangun through MA. Period. No matter what. I think he said for non-res though. Sounds obsurd to me. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Under federal law, a person is allowed to transport a firearm across state lines from one place where it is legal to possess firearms to another place where it is legal to possess firearms. The firearm must be unloaded and in the trunk of a vehicle. If the vehicle has no trunk the firearm must be unloaded and in a locked container (not the glove compartment or console). This federal law overrides state or local laws. As soon as I find the name of the statute, I'll post it.

Under federal law, a person is allowed to transport a firearm across state lines from one place where it is legal to possess firearms to another place where it is legal to possess firearms. The firearm must be unloaded and in the trunk of a vehicle. If the vehicle has no trunk the firearm must be unloaded and in a locked container (not the glove compartment or console). This federal law overrides state or local laws. As soon as I find the name of the statute, I'll post it.
Try Link Removed.

It is important to note that this law only applies for Interstate travel, it does not apply to intrastate travel.

Non-Res transporting handguns in MA

I understand there is the federal law mentioned above regarding transporting handguns from legal location to legal location. However, the NRA-ILA website says, "Travelers should be aware that New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts do not follow the regulations established for interstate transport." Has MA or NY ever accepted the federal regulations? What sort of trouble can you get into in these states?

Also, interested in taking some training classes in MA, however, the provision below does not appear to apply to training classes, even if those classes are offered by very recognized centers like the one at Smith and Wesson. Any insight would be appreciated. I am legal in CT and NH and live in CT.

Thanks.

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

I understand there is the federal law mentioned above regarding transporting handguns from legal location to legal location. However, the NRA-ILA website says, "Travelers should be aware that New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts do not follow the regulations established for interstate transport." Has MA or NY ever accepted the federal regulations? What sort of trouble can you get into in these states?

Also, interested in taking some training classes in MA, however, the provision below does not appear to apply to training classes, even if those classes are offered by very recognized centers like the one at Smith and Wesson. Any insight would be appreciated. I am legal in CT and NH and live in CT.

Thanks.

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

MA, NJ and NY will arrest you if caught transporting a handgun through their states even if you are in full compliance with the Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) of 1986. They will make you use FOPA as a defense in court.
If you are transporting through these states make sure the firearm is locked in the trunk (not readily available to you) and not loaded.
If pulled over and for some reason you let a LEO find your handgun, VIDEO EVERYTHING! The idea is to show that you were in full compliance with FOPA, no question about it. That ought to get your case dropped a bit faster.

I know it's an old thread but never ever ever let the cops search your car.

Sent from my SM-N900V using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back