Non-Permit use as primary in different state of residence

thebrez1

I have read all the posts on non-resident permits and understand that there are different states with different reciprocity agreements. I understand the map but my question is a little different.

I live in Oklahoma. I am waiting for my fla Non-resident permit. Can I count on the Fla permit being honored in OK since OK is my legal residence? I have not seen anything in OK law stating that residents must have an OK permit. I know Fla has reciprocity with OK and vice versa, but my question deals with using an out of state non-residence permit in lieu of my resident state's permit. I fully intend to get an OK permit as soon as a change in the law takes place, hopefully by this comming November.

Does anyone else do this? Help!

Where were you when you applied for FL?

I have read all the posts on non-resident permits and understand that there are different states with different reciprocity agreements. I understand the map but my question is a little different.

I live in Oklahoma. I am waiting for my fla Non-resident permit. Can I count on the Fla permit being honored in OK since OK is my legal residence? I have not seen anything in OK law stating that residents must have an OK permit. I know Fla has reciprocity with OK and vice versa, but my question deals with using an out of state non-residence permit in lieu of my resident state's permit. I fully intend to get an OK permit as soon as a change in the law takes place, hopefully by this comming November.

It is my understanding that most states require you to have a permit in your home state as a condition for granting a non-resident permit. If you applied for your permit as a resident of Oklahoma, but do not have an Oklahoma permit, then it is doubtful that FL will approve your application.

Incidentally, what is it about OK permit law that you are waiting to see changed?

Having non violent misdemeanors more than 10 years old from precluding issue of license (in my case, a little weed in 1978:wacko:). It will be HB2538. Almost made it last year but ran out of time due to a wording change that sent it back to committee. I got started late in the session so I only had a week but it went through to the Senate with 54 Yeas and no Nays. It is good to go this year and has already been filed. House begins Feb 1st. The NRA State Rep called me a month ago to request my verbiage and to make sure the bill got in on time this year so it has time to pass. The Gov. has sent me a letter stating that "He would be inclined to sign such a Bill." The Representative sponsoring the Bill is a retired State Trooper.

Right now the law reads that residents of OK MAY apply for a resident license, but a change which would have changed the word MAY to the word SHALL was not passed, so to me that means I CAN apply for on OK residence permit, but that I don't have to.

Also, Fla. has said that I do qualify and I should be getting it any day now. Of course I do not have it in my hand yet so........

When this Bill hits the House and Senate floors, I will post an e-mail link if anyone would be interested in helping :pleasantry:

It is my understanding that most states require you to have a permit in your home state as a condition for granting a non-resident permit. If you applied for your permit as a resident of Oklahoma, but do not have an Oklahoma permit, then it is doubtful that FL will approve your application.

Incidentally, what is it about OK permit law that you are waiting to see changed?

UT doesn't. UT performs their own background check and doesn't care if you have a res permit in your own state. I'm pretty sure that FL does their own background check also. You are right though, many states, like PA, do not perform background checks for non-res permits and therefore use your res permit as proof. It's state by state, but not all states require you to have a res permit in your own state.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if your state honors a FL non-res permit, it shouldn't matter that you're a resident of that state. If a FL non-res permit is good in OK, yours is as good as anyone else's.

UT doesn't. UT performs their own background check and doesn't care if you have a res permit in your own state. I'm pretty sure that FL does their own background check also. You are right though, many states, like PA, do not perform background checks for non-res permits and therefore use your res permit as proof. It's state by state, but not all states require you to have a res permit in your own state.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if your state honors a FL non-res permit, it shouldn't matter that you're a resident of that state. If a FL non-res permit is good in OK, yours is as good as anyone else's.

Florida does do a background check they just don't care if non felony violations are more than 3 or 5 years past. I told them about the charges and "Fla said no problem. There is reciprocity between Fla and OK. Fla called saying my CCW class was not NRA approved and I told them mine was CLEET and satisfied OK and they said " Ok, thats no big deal, we have reciprocity, so I will just put this through." I sent in a DD214 to prove I was exmilitary and she said that she would add it to my folder but it was really not a big deal. Fla. has been soooo easy to work with and very professional.

I thought the non res permit would be a way to be legal until the law is changed. Kind of a back door so to speak, now I'm not so sure....

Last June I was back in Illinois for my sister's funeral [lung cancer, don't smoke]
I met several Illinois residents with Florida CCW, which is useless in Illinosi, but good for most places they travel to.
Illinois is in the midst of getting shall issue CCW... lots of Illinois groups are in support including sheriffs and the Farm Bureau. Wisconsin is probably much the same.

Kansas law specifically says that a Kansas resident must have a Kansas CCH.

Please note that you *do not* have to have a permit from your home state to get a Florida permit.

I don't know about OK but SC does not honor non-resident permits so if you are an SC resident with a FL permit it wouldn't be good even if SC has reciprocity with FL. Just pointing out that you will need to check your local laws because they vary widly from state to state and we can't assume anything. As pointed out PA and NH just require you have a permit from another state where FL and some others do their own background check and whether you have one already or not doesn't matter to them.

There seems to be a lot of people here that don't know or understand CCW Reciprocity and where they can carry .

I have carried a concealed firearm for many years and hane found a couple items to be very helpful.

The Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. Gunlaws for the 50 States

Look up the laws on the web at Link Removed

I do not see anywhere in the OK statutes that requires an OK resident to have an OK license. As stated as an example above KS requires this and it is in the law Link Removed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back