non dominate shooting hand...

Samurai

Someone recently asked me what would I do if my right arm/hand got seriously injured. How would I shoot?
Sooo, I goes to the range and point at the target with my Kimber in my left hand. In answer to his question, "Huh, not very well."
Did anyone out there surfing the electronic waves, know that a .45 kicks significantly more in one's left hand than in his/hers right hand? Has anyone else practiced shooting with your non-dominant hand?
Methinks I need a lot more practice with my left hand...:icon_sick:
Later- Sam

I ALWAYS practice with my left hand. When I was first taught to shoot a handgun, it was the Navy's M-9 qualification course. The test involved switching hands and shooting with your left hand extended fully out. It taught me quite a bit....mainly, LEARN TO SHOOT WITH YOUR OFF-HAND. Now, I'm fairly proficient.

I have done a little off hand shooting. I carry a nine so the recoil is not as big a problem as with your 45. Not a great shot with it but I can hit a target at the distance most defensive shootings would require. Being able to rack the slide, insert a magazine etc is another story so that is where having another gun is for sure better than a reload. On that note SWAT magazine and or American Handgunner have had some articles over the last few months on that very subject. Something one probably should practice.

I always throw some support hand training in. It's just a matter of training and muscle memory. Front Sight recently had a student make Distinguished Graduate, which is very difficult, with their support side hand dominate, which I didn't think possible. This student had previously made Distinguished Grad with their firing side hand dominate. The student just began practicing, and dry practicing a lot, with their support side prior to taking the course. I'm thinking about trying it next time.:rolleyesb:

Someone recently asked me what would I do if my right arm/hand got seriously injured. How would I shoot?
Sooo, I goes to the range and point at the target with my Kimber in my left hand. In answer to his question, "Huh, not very well."
Did anyone out there surfing the electronic waves, know that a .45 kicks significantly more in one's left hand than in his/hers right hand? Has anyone else practiced shooting with your non-dominant hand?
Methinks I need a lot more practice with my left hand...:icon_sick:
Later- Sam

That's why one hand is called the Strongarm, Strongside, Primary or other various names.

Do what I do, shoot equally with both hands, or more with your weakhand to improve. I also carry two guns, soon to be three, off duty. I practice with all of them. I like having a gun accessable to either hand as I've had my strongarm busy deflecting a blade. It was my right hand drawing my BUG that saved the day. My Primary is carried left handed.

Can't never get too much "good" practice.

Biker

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back