No Progress On New Concealed Handgun Reciprocity Agreements - Contact Attorney Genera

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Since October 1, 2007, Attorney General Darrell McGraw has not signed a new concealed handgun license reciprocity agreement. West Virginia presently has reciprocity agreements with 11 states, allowing residents of those states who have licenses issued by those states to legally carry concealed handguns in West Virginia and allowing West Virginia residents with West Virginia licenses to carry in those states. Many of these agreements were the product of our efforts—making the phone calls and sending the e-mails that prompted AG McGraw and the appropriate agencies in other states to act.

According to our research, there are 11 states that are currently eligible under our existing reciprocity law to establish reciprocity with us. If agreements were signed with all these states, this would double the number of reciprocity agreements to 22.

Although the 2008 legislative session is around the corner and one of our top priorities will be replacing the current reciprocity law with a “universal recognition” law that generally recognizes all other states’ licenses/permits without the requirement of a formal agreement, which will in turn result in many more states recognizing West Virginia licenses, we cannot forget about the need to make the existing law work better now. More information about the upcoming legislative session is below.

Action Item:

Call Attorney General Darrell McGraw’s office between 8:30 A.M. and 5 P.M. at 304-558-2021 and leave your name, phone number, and a message that you want AG McGraw to finish the process of implementing the new reciprocity law by signing agreements with the 11 states that are presently eligible for reciprocity but which are waiting for him to act. Some of these states have universal recognition laws that already recognize West Virginia licenses despite our failure to recognize theirs.
Source: WVCDL

Thanks for the info Luke,

I called the office up , and they gave me an email address of [email protected], Please email this attorney at this email address. I have sent a few so far, this agreement is very important to me since im a next door neighbor in Maryland. I do alot of work in WV and need to conceal. I can carry exposed but people look at you wierd.

Create.

:triniti:

I called the office up , and they gave me an email address of [email protected], Please email this attorney at this email address. I have sent a few so far, this agreement is very important to me since im a next door neighbor in Maryland. I do alot of work in WV and need to conceal. I can carry exposed but people look at you wierd.
It's highly unlikely that you'll see any State that will reciprocate with MD. They're almost as bad as NJ from what I have heard. You'll see WV doing non-resident reciprocity or recognition long before you see MD becoming shall issue.

Last edited:
It's highly unlikely that you'll see any State that will reciprocate with MD. They're almost as bad as NJ from what I have heard. You'll see WV doing non-resident reciprocity or recognition long before you see MD becoming shall issue.

I know, But wishful thinking is always good. Also, I do hold a VA, and FL non-resi liscense. I would just like to see the va non-resi allow me to conceal as it did a year ago.

:meeting:

Fortunately, West Virginia allows unlicensed open carry, either on foot or in a vehicle, by both residents and nonresidents. Open carry is better than no carry at all.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back