No longer having to get your gun on your permit

Guy

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the forum but not new to guns and I have carried for a while now. I have a quick question. Have any of you guys heard when they are going to make it so you no longer have to shot with your gun and have it put on your permit in order to carry? I know they tried last year. But, for some reason reciprocity was accepted but not that. I cannot wait to be able to update when I want to and not worry about the BS. Also, I have never carried a BUG before. Are we allowed to if its listed on you permit?? Thanks in advance!:icon_cheesygrin:
Guy

Last edited:
You must qualify with each semi-auto you want listed on your permit.
Permits are for revolvers, or revolvers and semi-automatics, or semi-automatics.
You need to qualify with only one revolver and you may carry any revolver you own. Individual revolvers are not listed, but each semi-auto must be listed on the permit.

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the forum but not new to guns and I have carried for a while now. I have a quick question. Have any of you guys heard when they are going to make it so you no longer have to shot with your gun and have it put on your permit in order to carry? I know they tried last year. But, for some reason reciprocity was accepted but not that. I cannot wait to be able to update when I want to and not worry about the BS. Also, I have never carried a BUG before. Are we allowed to if its listed on you permit?? Thanks in advance!:icon_cheesygrin:
Guy

Actually, in the last legislative session no one sought to remove all shooting quals.

We did seek an "any revolver" and "any semi auto" law.

Virtually 100% due to Assemblyman Bernie Anderson (D - Washoe #31)
747 Glen Meadow Drive
Sparks, NV 89434-1536
Link Removed
we were forced to settle for "any revolver" (which, by the way, includes derringers) and we had to keep the requirement to qualify with semi autos by make, model, & caliber. (Let us hope the good folks in Bernie's district will oust him in the next election!)

Apparently, it varies among Nevada's county sheriffs, but the process of adding a firearm to your existing permit should be very easy. In my county, you simply demonstrate competence by firing a minimum of 10 rounds in the presence of an authorized CCW instructor who signs the qual form, then take the qual form to the sheriff. Since there is not room on the reverse of your permit to list an infinite number of qualified firearms, the sheriff simply files your qual form and you go on your merry way, thereafter qualified to legally carry that firearm.

I understand some sheriffs charge a fee for adding a firearm to an existing permit. I do not understand how they get away with it.

Lastly, yes, you can carry a back up firearm. NRS Ch 202 (CCW law) does NOT prohibit it. See http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653

And, of course, the usual disclaimer: I am not an attorney. Nor have I recently stayed in a Holiday Inn. I am merely a guy that has studied the issue to the best of my ability.

Requires another bill

The NSCA has stated they do not want to keep track of the firearms on your permit down to the make, model and caliber. It's now specific semi-auto or any revolver which includes one or two round derringers.

The three legislators that need to go next election are the following;
  • Bernie Anderson for being a chronic pain in the backside for firearm owners, particulary CCW holders
  • Marilyn Kirkpatrick for sponsoring the child care prohibition amendment to SB354
  • Debbie Smith working with Kirkpatrick to add the child care facility prohibition
We were broadsided by the alleged bounty hunter issue during SB354 testimony. I sent an e-mail to Assemblypersons Kirkpatrick and Smith asking for the details of the alledged bounty hunter event; the LVMPD event number and why there was no publicity pertaining to the bounty hunter incident. The press would be all over this. I have yet to get a reply. If such an incident existed, where's the press and the LVMPD event number?

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. I am well aware of the fact that I must shoot to qualify. I have my Nevada CCW. What I was asking was if the new law they were trying for was going to go through so I could buy a BUG and carry that without going down and paying a CCW instructor about $20-$50 to just watch me shoot, then going down to the police station and paying $25dollars for them to open up my record to add info. So the answer is no. Thanks again for all the info,
Guy

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. I am well aware of the fact that I must shoot to qualify. I have my Nevada CCW. What I was asking was if the new law they were trying for was going to go through so I could buy a BUG and carry that without going down and paying a CCW instructor about $20-$50 to just watch me shoot, then going down to the police station and paying $25dollars for them to open up my record to add info. So the answer is no. Thanks again for all the info,
Guy

It is a possibility. But even IF it were to be enacted, it will NOT be until the 2009 legislative session.

P. S. $20 to $50 for qual with an instructor??? Wow! Subsequent quals (add-a-gun) is free to our associaiton members and only $10 per session (add all ya want) for non members. And our sheriff does NOT charge a dime when ya drop off an "add-a-gun" qual form.

Last edited:
If I remember right, the Gun Store on Tropicana, right there in Las Vegas, charges $20 to qualify with a gun and they provide the ammo.

Wnen I decide to purchase revolvers in the future, I still plan on qualifying with them. I won't have them added to my permit, but the paper will at least show that I'm competent with the gun should any legal matters ever arise.

I qualified last saturday and went today and had it added on to my permit. Washoe county charges $15 to do an add on, but does it right then and there and issues you a new permit. I guess they want all the money they can get.
Always carry and never tell.

I qualified last saturday and went today and had it added on to my permit. Washoe county charges $15 to do an add on, but does it right then and there and issues you a new permit. I guess they want all the money they can get.
Always carry and never tell.

I took my CCW class a couple of weeks ago. The instructor told us that it's a $15 charge to add handguns to your permit, but you can do more than one. It's still $15.

I am amazed that some Sheriffs apparently charge/collect a fee from a CCW permittee to simply add a gun to an existing permit.

NRS 202 is quite clear on what fees are allowed.

But some will say, "They must issue a new permit, adding the new/recently qualified handguns." NOT true.

A permittee can qualify with, and have an unlimited number of semi auto handguns on his/her permit. Obviously, there is NOT room on the reverse side of the permit to list a large number of semi auto handguns by make/model/caliber.

In the county where I reside, our sheriff simply accepts the added handgun qualification form(s) and places in the permittee's file. No new permit is issued.

You might ask, "But what if I get stopped and my current carry gun is not listed on my permit?" Well, that can happen, and if the LEO is concerned, he/she can simply contact your sheriff's office to confirm your make/model/caliber handgun is authorized to be carried.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back