No Carry on South Whidbey Parks & Recreation Property?

KenS

I just came from a Whidbey Parks & Recreation trail site where I was surprised by a posting. One of the rules listed said in effect (I don't remember the exact verbiage)) that only law enforcement officers were allowed to carry firearms on the trails. Does this sound off to anyone else?

Thanks for you comments.
Ken

Doesn't surprise me. Recently our church (not in WA state) tried to enact a similar rule in our building and use policy. Me and another shooter on our board suggested that we get rid of this rule, in part because if our church was going to benefit from the protections of the first amendment, we probably should not infringe upon the rights guaranteed by the 2nd. But I guess local municipalities like Whidbey Island can make any rule they want, though there is some argument that they should not get in the way of your right to self-protection.

There have been arguments about that sort of thing. Local government trying to supersede state law. I thought it had been resolved that they could not do that.

There have been arguments about that sort of thing. Local government trying to supersede state law. I thought it had been resolved that they could not do that.

Ignore the signs. They violate state law:

RCW 9.41.290: State preemption.
RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

That is just an excerpt from RCW 9.41.300. I would suggest you read 9.41 in it's entirety, but especially 9.41.300 where it lists the actual prohibited places.

Thanks for the links to pertaining RCW's. You've answered my question fully.
Best regards, Ken

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back