NM Resident w/ VA non-resident CCW License?

Spartan

Does anybody here know how New Mexico law stands on NM residents who carry in NM with a CCW license issued by another state?

If you are a NM resident carrying concealed in NM is it required that you have a NM CCW license or is it OK if that license is issued by another state which NM has reciprocity with?

AND

If this is OK by the law - does anybody know how local LEO's treat this issue?

I would appreciate any informed replies and discussion on this subject.

As an instructor who has researched this type of question often, I have never ran across a state that would recognize a non-resident permit from another state for one of it's own residents. That doesn't mean it's not possible, but logic leads me to believe that a state would prefer you have a permit from your home state. If you are unable to get one from New Mexico, it doesn't follow that they would let you get one from another state to use in NM. They probably want you to have the training they require, know all pertinent info about you, and just maybe.......want your money. Again, this is just a somewhat educated guess.

NM law states:

29-19-12. Rules; department to administer; reciprocal agreements with other states.

E. provision of discretionary state authority for the transfer, recognition or reciprocity of
a concealed handgun license issued by another state if the issuing authority for the other state
:
(1) includes provisions at least as stringent as or substantially similar to the
Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978];
(2) issues a license or permit with an expiration date printed on the license or
permit;
(3) is available to verify the license or permit status for law enforcement
purposes within three business days of a request for verification;
(4) has disqualification, suspension and revocation requirements for a
concealed handgun license or permit; and
(5) requires that an applicant for a concealed handgun license or permit:
(a) submit to a national criminal history record check;
(b) not be prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to federal or
state law; and
(c) satisfactorily complete a firearms safety program that covers
deadly force issues, weapons care and maintenance, safe handling and
storage of firearms and marksmanship.

It does not say reciprocity of
a concealed handgun license issued by another state to a person not a resident of this state if the issuing authority for the other state

I am an Ohio resident and have a Florida non-res permit.... Ohio accepts it without issues, and does not require me to have an Ohio CHL.

I highly appreciate all the good and rapid responses. This helps me a lot.

I am a New Mexico resident but I don't get home often enough or for long enough to spend an entire weekend for the required course. However, VA will issue a non-resident CHL to me through the mail with my honorable discharge in lieu of a training certificate.

I have been trying to keep up on the particulars of the NM CHL like where I can and cannot carry, what I can carry, etc so I feel OK about not doing anything wrong. I just couldn't find a definitive answer on this one question.

I do still have a question about how LEO's look on this point and whether I should expect them to understand it well. I might ask one next time I am home just to see what a sample of one would say.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back