NM Collector Software Simplified User Interface - request feedback

nmCollector

Hi,

I am the author of NM Collector Software and I am looking for feedback on a simpler user interface for those who do not want to have to confirm each data change. I have a beta version available to anybody who currently has NM Collector Software and wishes to provide feedback on my Link Removed. If you don't already have NM Collector Software you can get your copy here: NM Collector Software - USA Carry Edition.

The old interface is still available for those who prefer to be sure of what they are changing. To activate it simply deselect the "Automatically Apply Changes" check box in the Options Menu.

In order to get a wider variety of opinions, please post your feedback (positive and negative) back to this forum. Hopefully that will generate a public discussion that will lead to an even better result than private discussions.

Thanks!
Clay Pryor
nmCollector.net LLC

Yep but you can get Openoffice for FREE. I know several collectors and all use Excel or OO. Why spend 30 bucks to have a limited format. With OO you can add what you want where you want how you want. Plus it is very easy to update the insurance company by sending them a copy as every company has Excel to readily read it as do police if you have a theft.

NM Collector Software v. Excel

Yep but you can get Openoffice for FREE. I know several collectors and all use Excel or OO. Why spend 30 bucks to have a limited format. With OO you can add what you want where you want how you want. Plus it is very easy to update the insurance company by sending them a copy as every company has Excel to readily read it as do police if you have a theft.

I am not faulting Excel / Open Office - they are great for what they are. In fact, they can be made to do wonderful things - especially if you know how to "program" them. Here are thoughts regarding NM Collector v. Excel / Open Office. I'm sure I can think of more ... this is just off of the top of my head.

1. I do offer a free version of NM Collector Software.
  2. $10.00 is donated to usacarry.com for every purchase of my USA Carry Edition of NM Collector Software.
  3. NM Collector offers several Insurance reports that can be saved in Excel / Open Office format. You can also export most of your data from NM Collector to Excel to create your own custom insurance Excel spreadsheet if that is how you wish to report to you insurance company.
  4. NM Collector is very customizable. You can change the field names or even create entire new collection templates to meet your needs.
  5. Not all features of NM Collector can be easily implemented in Excel / Open Office. For example, how do you implement the following in Excel / Open Office? I'm not saying it is impossible (one of the things I do at work is build custom Excel applications for scientists and engineers) but I am saying it might take some advanced skills to do:
    • Run on any computer without installation - when run directly from a USB Flash drive NM Collector never has to be installed on any computer to use it AND no data remains on the computer. I designed it to be run directly from a USB flash drive but I do provide "installation" options for those who do not want to limit themselves to the USB flash drive.
    • Multiple drop down lists for each item.
    • Automatically update drop down lists so that new values entered for any one item are automatically available for use with other items - no need to retype for each item.
    • Tie an unlimited number of pictures to each item in a way that is easily understood.
    • Tie receipt, disposition, maintenance, event and data sheet data to each item in a way that is easy to understand.
    • Print ATF formatted bound book reports.
    • Easily capture summary statistics (total cost, total current value, total appraised value, total realized value, etc.) for a changing number of items.
    • Easily export and import to and from an Android app that allows you to see and update your data (including pictures) on any Android device.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head but it may be enough to make it a worthwhile purchase over using Open Office.

:)

Thanks,

Clay

Last edited:
More features now in Beta 3

One of the cool new features is the "Links Tab" where you can store links to anything. When you click the "Open Link" button the selected link is opened with the most appropriate application.

Please see Link Removed for more information and to download your beta now.

Link Removed

Thanks,

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back