NJ self defense?

PistolPony

As a small not very strong woman, im looking for options for self defense. living in new jersey makes it difficult to know what exactly I can and cannot carry legally. I would love to have a firearm, or atleast a taser, but that is obviously not an option. a knife would probably be my next choice but im unsure as to what exactly is legal. any suggestion or information would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

First suggestion is move away from commie NJ and if ya can't do that then take up Krav Maga or some other highly aggressive personal defense system. Hit first, hit often and hit hard. Their are many types of self defense tools out there too that can be used as deadly weapons if used correctly. Special strike pens for example. Fixed blade knives are good too but ya gotta be careful on blade length. Do some research on personal defense weapons and NJ laws regarding SD. Ultimately though, imo, it's the firearm and your noggin that are the best deterrent from an attack.

Watch the TV show "Mob Wives." Dress and act like them. If someone thinks you are connected, they won't bother you in NJ. Increase the effect by wearing a T-shirt from a trash hauling company! :laugh:

Seriously, A woman is most likely to encounter one of two scenarios: 1) A simple robbery, for which a "throw-away wallet" with cash and expired credit cards and ID will likely get you out unscathed. 2) A sexual assault. Keep in mind pepper spray and other "keychain" devices may not be useful there because you will likely not see the attack coming. You will be on the ground or getting pulled into a car or trapped in your own home before you know it's coming. But sexual assault requires the assailant to get close and let down his guard (so to speak) at some point. You want something you can pull out of nowhere and take him out when he's in range and vulnerable. A small, but substantial tactical knife, concealed on your person in an accessible place would be the way I would go, but you would have to have the grim determination to overcome understandably paralyzing fear to use with surprise and timing. You can do it, but as one of my shooting instructors says, "The body can't go where the mind has never been." You have to think those situations through and determine your actions before they happen for real.

I think hand-to-hand combat training should be the basis for all self-defense plans. The best quick self defense course for women is Model Mugging (I have no connection with them). There is a chapter in Manhattan (link below). I know you're in NJ, but it would be worth trips to take their courses. My wife has been through it and I have been through a weekend resident men's course. I learned as much practical stuff in that weekend as I did in 25 years of martial arts training. They have a simple system and it works. They train your brain as well as your body. They work on "taking your mind where your body needs to go." If you want to move on to something like Krav Maga after taking all the MM courses, that would help also, but there you are getting into some serious, athletic training over a period of time.

New York City Self Defense | Model Mugging

As a small not very strong woman, im looking for options for self defense. living in new jersey makes it difficult to know what exactly I can and cannot carry legally. I would love to have a firearm, or atleast a taser, but that is obviously not an option. a knife would probably be my next choice but im unsure as to what exactly is legal. any suggestion or information would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

in NJ there is NOTHING (excepting maybe mace) that you can legally carry to defend yourself, in fact if you do defend yourself you are at risk yourself because the state could prosecute you and your attacker will sue you if you injure him.
the best advise is to get out of NJ

just another moronic comment from NY's appalachia
You need to stop right now.
Folks, this is the man who called me demented because I had a child murdered. He never walked-it back. He never apologized. He believes this is normal behavior. Sick. You don't like someone? Fine. But if you think you can harass someone with comments about dead kids and then follow them around harassing their every post, you're dead wrong. I've never asked for help from a moderator to deal with a problem poster. But what do you think any decent moderator would do to someone harassing another poster with comments about their dead kids. Especially when multiple people complain. Think hard. Please don't respond to my posts. Put me on ignore, take a pill, stroke your ego... whatever it takes. Be a man and knock-it off. I don't believe I'll ask you again.
Forum Rules: You are prohibited to do the following acts, to wit: (b) posting of an items, messages, and or contents that are inappropriate and fails to observe decency. By participating in this forum site, you understand and agree not to post or transmit any material that, in our judgment, is defamatory, abusive, obscene, threatening or unlawful in any way. We reserve the right to deny access to anyone who we believe, in our sole discretion, has in any way breached these Terms.

You need to stop right now.
Folks, this is the man who called me demented because I had a child murdered.

I did nothing of the sort, that is what your twisted mind saw.
It is time for you stop using the tragedy that you had to endure as a crutch.
you should seek out professional assistance to deal with the problems you seem to be unable to deal with.
I feel bad for you, GET HELP

you should seek out professional assistance to deal with the problems you seem to be unable to deal with.
A crutch? You no good SOB. Now we'll deal with it for sure. This won't continue.

Originally Posted by BC1 -
You need to stop right now. Folks, this is the man who called me demented because I had a child murdered.
Here's your post saying it.
Posted by apvbguy - is this some sort of passive/aggressive form of intimidation? should I be shaking in my boots awaiting a knock on the door from the FBI? will some CNN reporter be trying to get a comment from me? get a life, you are a very sick man who has apparently suffered a deep loss and you have demented tendencies that need treatment from professionals
Hang tight. We'll find a solution to this problem.

Ahhh, no. Sorry. Wrong.
Lighten Up "Francis "... it was a joke.... meant to remove some of the ugliness of this
thread.

bill_murray-stripes1981-1330.jpg

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back