NICS denial even after Indiana expungement

Th3coolestkid

Added a nice shiny felony to my record shortly after turning 18 for burglarizing a flea market. I know I know....been walking around with that shame over my head like a black cloud for a long time. Been in absolutely no trouble after that. I’m 32 now so that makes it 14 years since then. Last year I got my record expunged. After waiting for months and jumping through hoops, Indiana state police finally approved my conceal carry permit. So naturally I assume I’m finally a legal citizen and able to legally carry. Go to a local ffl gun shop and attempt to purchase a sig p320 m17 for my first handgun. NICS denied me. After about a month I get a warning letter from the ATF telling me not to attempt to gain access to a firearm again. I call the agent that sent the letter and spoke with him about the details of my expungement. He confirms the ATF recognizes Indiana’s expungement law as being restorative to gun rights and basically tells me to give it some time and try again. I wait another 45 days and try again only to be denied a second time. Anyone else have issues getting NICS to honor an expungement? They’re over 2 years behind processing appeals and I’ve already waited 14 years to do this right.

Update: since this was posted. About a month after I posted this, and an argument with the Indiana state police, I finally was granted my Indiana license to carry. After being denied through NICS for a firearm purchase I appealed it. IÂ’m not totally sure that I used a conventional appeal route though. I appealed it through the federal DOJ. It was pretty simple. I gathered my expungement court order paperwork, wrote a letter explaining my situation, had an FBI finger card done at my local police station, with copies of identity documents, and provided a typed transaction number from my attempted purchase, and then sent it all in to the address I found on the DOJÂ’s website. Usually people use the VAF route which is extremely backlogged. This only took about a month and I received an official letter with a DOJ certificate. The letter confirmed that they reviewed my information and found that I am legally permitted to own and receive a firearm. The certificate had the transaction number on it, an approval number, and served as a golden ticket of approval. I took this certificate in to the FFL and they called nics, provided the numbers on the certificate and I walked out with a firearm. Here I am a year later and wanted to by a nice conceal weapon. After running my info, I was placed on a delay and that alone is annoying since my status should not have changed since the approval letter, but I guess itÂ’s better than a denial. Tomorrow is the end of the 3 day hold on the firearm and IÂ’ll be able to hopefully pick it up, assuming that the delay status was not changed to a denial.

What was the DOJ office you appealed through? Thanks in advance.

Update: since this was posted. About a month after I posted this, and an argument with the Indiana state police, I finally was granted my Indiana license to carry. After being denied through NICS for a firearm purchase I appealed it. IÂ’m not totally sure that I used a conventional appeal route though. I appealed it through the federal DOJ. It was pretty simple. I gathered my expungement court order paperwork, wrote a letter explaining my situation, had an FBI finger card done at my local police station, with copies of identity documents, and provided a typed transaction number from my attempted purchase, and then sent it all in to the address I found on the DOJÂ’s website. Usually people use the VAF route which is extremely backlogged. This only took about a month and I received an official letter with a DOJ certificate. The letter confirmed that they reviewed my information and found that I am legally permitted to own and receive a firearm. The certificate had the transaction number on it, an approval number, and served as a golden ticket of approval. I took this certificate in to the FFL and they called nics, provided the numbers on the certificate and I walked out with a firearm. Here I am a year later and wanted to by a nice conceal weapon. After running my info, I was placed on a delay and that alone is annoying since my status should not have changed since the approval letter, but I guess itÂ’s better than a denial. Tomorrow is the end of the 3 day hold on the firearm and IÂ’ll be able to hopefully pick it up, assuming that the delay status was not changed to a denial.
I think that I am going to be dealing with the same thing, can you give me any advice on how to start the process that you followed? I had an expungement a few years ago from misdemeanors 15 years ago. Got all of those taken care of and applied for and got my concealed carry permit for Indiana. I thought after that I was good, but got delayed when trying to purchase my first firearm.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back