NFA Searches

warthog97

I'm kicking around the idea of a sound suppressor. A buddy of mine insists that when you sign the paperwork for a suppressor, you agree to allow LEOs to search your property at any time. What say you, is this an urban myth?

The tax stamp says you will provide them with a change of address, change of description, notification of interstate movement (suppressor is not on that line item) notification if you become a restricted person. The final line says, "The approved application is the registrants proof of registration and it shall be made available too any atf officer upon request."

No where did I sign anything that said they could search my house.

It could be a law that I'm not familiar with, but it isn't on the paperwork.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nope. The ATF can show up at any time and demand to "inspect" the NFA item just like they do surprise inspections for gun dealers. They cannot however carry out a warrantless search of your house. The ATF however doesn't have the manpower to conduct almost any of these inspections unless you come up on their radar for something else. The only thing the tax stamp application says it the the approved registration paperwork must be presented to any LEO upon demand.

I'm kicking around the idea of a sound suppressor. A buddy of mine insists that when you sign the paperwork for a suppressor, you agree to allow LEOs to search your property at any time. What say you, is this an urban myth?

You're friend like so many NFA internet wannabees is wrong. Been a collector for 20 plus years..

well, if they show up and do want to search, what you gonna do about it? The search will will be long over by the time your lawyer can do anything, and that's IF they let you make any calls. they'll probably cuff you "for their safety", actually.

well, if they show up and do want to search, what you gonna do about it? The search will will be long over by the time your lawyer can do anything, and that's IF they let you make any calls. they'll probably cuff you "for their safety", actually.

What you do is...deny entry and exercise your constitutional right under the IV Amendment. They cannot legally cuff you for their protection, because they are not investigating a crime or have made contact with you pursuant to an investigation of breaking the law.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back