Newbie CC BabyStep - one in the chamber

joesmo

OK, sometimes we take baby steps, maybe it is a comfort level, maybe just knowledge.

I have been doing CC less than a year, 6 months to be exact, so I am truly a newbie. When I first started to CC my G30, I did so withn nothing in the chamber. My rationale was, better to have it inside my waistband than at home in the safe - even if it means I have to rack the slide. There was also a comfort level, "Do I want to be carrying something that all it takes is a trigger pull" I would often ask myself.

Well, after many months of training at the range and subsequent cleanings, feild stripping, and complete disassemblies, my comfort level is far greater. TODAY IS MY FIRST DAY CCing WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER.

I guess it boils down to..."Do I want to be carrying something that takes MORE than just a trigger pull" if needed. You know the answer.

I haven't received my CWP yet, however, I know where you're coming from. I have a Springfield XD (no positive safety) and have a 5 yr old that loves her daddy and likes to climb on and hug and love on me, so it's extra nerve racking.

In preparing to carry "condition one" as it's called, I rack the slide so the firing pin is cocked BUT NO ROUND IN THE CHAMBER and practice carrying at home. The firing pin was never released, of course. This helped me overcome the fear of an AD when the gun is properly stowed in a covered-trigger holster. Practice drawing and comfort with your weapon is critical to CC.

I guess holster is critical, ey? I have a Kramer IWB, and a CrossBreed Supertuck. I tend to use my Kramer with my dress wool slacks and suits, my CB with jeans.

OK, sometimes we take baby steps, maybe it is a comfort level, maybe just knowledge.

I have been doing CC less than a year, 6 months to be exact, so I am truly a newbie. When I first started to CC my G30, I did so withn nothing in the chamber. My rationale was, better to have it inside my waistband than at home in the safe - even if it means I have to rack the slide. There was also a comfort level, "Do I want to be carrying something that all it takes is a trigger pull" I would often ask myself.

Well, after many months of training at the range and subsequent cleanings, feild stripping, and complete disassemblies, my comfort level is far greater. TODAY IS MY FIRST DAY CCing WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER.

I guess it boils down to..."Do I want to be carrying something that takes MORE than just a trigger pull" if needed. You know the answer.

Glad to hear you've "stepped up!" I applaud your dedication, and your not wanting to be another statistic of irresponsible gun handling, which might've led to a self inflicted injury - and then...who knows...you might have just ended up marching alongside Rosie O'Donell and Sarah Brady yelling "Ban all guns!":sarcastic:

generalsumter,
your XD has a grip safety,
for gun to go off, the grip safety and trigger has to be activated

generalsumter,
your XD has a grip safety,
for gun to go off, the grip safety and trigger has to be activated

I know, but I was just trying to relate it to joesmo and his glock, which only has the trigger safety. I feel totally safe with the XD. The grip safety (and $100 less price not to mention the gear) were the main reasons I chose the XD over the Glock.

A gun carried with no round chambered is referred to as a "dead man's gun" for good reason...should you ever have to present your weapon, it should be ready to fire. If you are in a situation where you actually need your weapon, the time that it takes to unholster, chamber a round and acquire your target could be all the time it takes for the BG to get a shot off. Just my .2$...Glock advertises a 5.5lb trigger pull with .5" of travel in the trigger - that combined with the trigger safety and some responsible practice on your part make your G30 as safe as a weapon with an external safety. Again, just my .2$, but time is your friend in a gunfight.

I installed a Siderlock on my G26 which is my carry gun. It's simple to use and gives me peace of mind. The thing I like best about it is that it gives me a choice. I can just flick the safety and leave it on when I throw it in a bag or pack and not have to worry about AD with one in the chamber. When I carry it on my person in a holster I can just flick the safety off and it's ready to go. I always have on in the chamber and even if I forgot to disengage the safety it only takes a millisecond to disengage. I also like the trigger that comes with it. All in all it's a very nice addition to the Glock. I could live without it if I had to and in fact, I do so with my M&P which has no external safeties of any kind but the Glock is my preferred carry piece.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back