newbie at reloading any tips....

fourmula766

I'm gonna dive into the world of reloading as I really am just sickened by the price of ammo... I'm an intelligent person that's good with numbers. Im looking at the Lee 1000 for $155 I've read this is a good press for the money... I mainly would like to reload .40 Cal .380 .223 & 7.62x39 any tips and advice are appreciated and maybe suggestions on the best place to find my supplies

READ, READ, READ! Read until you think you have read it all...... Then read some more. That's my advice.

Sorry my mistake I was looking for a reloading thread on this site but the app on my phone is a Lil hard to navigate sometimes and I didn't see one thanks..

I have been also looking into reloading as I could save quite a bit of money. I found Link Removed to be helpful on what is needed for a beginner.

Don't waste time and effort reloading 7.62x39. If you shop around, you'll find a variety of ammo out there that would cost you a lot less than reloads. I don't see too many precision applications for that particular round, so other than cost considerations, I can't figure out why anyone would spend time reloading that caliber.

As others have stated, check out the reloading forum. If you're able to take a reloading course, that would help out a lot as well.

Good luck!

The Lee Anniversary Press is what I have. I started about 2 years ago. It works fine, albeit slow. Do ONE step at a time. Go SLOW! Additional items you might need.... BOOK "ABCs" of Reloading.
Tumbler and media - I bought a sonic washer for about $50 and it has saved a ton of media.
I like the "imperial wax" for resizing rifle cases. I don't like rolling cartridges on the pad.
Calipers, digital scale.
Case trimmers for your rifle cases and possibly pistol cases.
At least 4 (Case holders to rotate as you do steps.)

Do NOT go to max loads. Stay in the range of the guidelines.

There is a bunch of stuff, and it seems expensive. However, I more than paid for my press and supplies over the first year.

Handloaders Bench .com is a good place also.

Sorry my mistake I was looking for a reloading thread on this site but the app on my phone is a Lil hard to navigate sometimes and I didn't see one thanks..

+1 on the app problems. Can't access groups either. Also wanted to mention that primers are around $3.99 per 100 nowadays. At Magnus Bullet Co. you can get 1000 bullets for around $50.00(thats if you don't mind shooting lead). You may have to experiment with several different powders to figure out which one you like because the charge thrower reacts differently to different types of powder. I actually had a new yolk sent to me by RCBS. They were kind enough not to chaege me for it. These are just some tid-bits the books don't tell you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back