New York

wj2615

Hello has anyone from Nassau or Suffolk flown with there firearm to another state and how did it go ?

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Look up Title 18 USC 926A. Everything there explained.
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Look up Title 18 USC 926A. Everything there explained.
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

It's more complicated than that. People have been prosecuted for flying out of NY state with a firearm. The OP doesn't mention the deciding circumstances to make a determination of legality. The OP was simply asking for experience reports.

Yes I have a NY permit and a concealed carry in other states as well

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

It's more complicated than that. People have been prosecuted for flying out of NY state with a firearm. The OP doesn't mention the deciding circumstances to make a determination of legality. The OP was simply asking for experience reports.
I travel at least twice a month through NY, an on top of that cross the border at Buffalo to either compete in NYS or travel through to another. I have a pretty good idea how it's done after forty years.

Yes I have a NY permit and a concealed carry in other states as well

You may want to read this older thread and see if you can get any usable information out of it: Traveling from NY (LGA) to Savannah (SAV), best way to transport firearms?. As far as I know, you should be OK with NY state laws if flying out of JFK, but then I am not a lawyer.

You need to check that you can legally posses said firearm at your destination. Also, it is a good idea not to have a connection in any state where you can not posses said firearm. This is just in case you get stranded, for example due to winter weather. Since you are coming from one of the most restrictive states, you should understand what that means.

There are already other threads in this forum on the procedures of flying with a firearm. It is always recommended to check with the airline Web site for specifics and to call up the airline counter of the airports (plural, if you are flying back) you fly out of.

WeaponsMan | Flying With a Gun

I travel at least twice a month through NY, an on top of that cross the border at Buffalo to either compete in NYS or travel through to another. I have a pretty good idea how it's done after forty years.

Title 18 USC 926A is supposed to protect one while traveling though states in a car. It has nothing to do with flying. It has nothing to do with driving to/from the airport in your state of residence or from/to the airport in your destination state. There is a reason why 18 USC 926A is called the "safe passage" provision of the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. Your post was irrelevant.

Title 18 USC 926A is supposed to protect one while traveling though states in a car. It has nothing to do with flying. It has nothing to do with driving to/from the airport in your state of residence or from/to the airport in your destination state. There is a reason why 18 USC 926A is called the "safe passage" provision of the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. Your post was irrelevant.

Correct. 49 CFR 1544.203 is what you want for flying with a firearm:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1544.203

(f)Firearms in checked baggage. No aircraft operator may knowingly permit any person to transport in checked baggage:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless -
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing before checking the baggage that any firearm carried in the baggage is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container;
(iii) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the individual checking the baggage retains the key or combination; and
(iv) The checked baggage containing the firearm is carried in an area that is inaccessible to passengers, and is not carried in the flightcrew compartment,.
(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
(g)Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

49 CFR 175.10 covers ammunition:
(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.

The reason 18 USC 926A largely does not apply when flying is because the airport where you leave from is your state of origin, the airport where you arrive is your destination state. 18 USC 926A does not cover you in either your state of origin or your destination state, it only covers you in the states in between those two.

When you check a handgun in checked luggage for a flight out of any of the NYC airports, LGA, EWR or JFK, the Airline Agent at check-in will call the Port Authority PD over to "check you out". If you do not have the proper permit to possess that handgun in that jurisdiction (NY City Permit?? not sure) then you will almost assuredly miss your flight and be spending a night in the Gray Bar Hotel. Yeah, I know, it shouldn't be that way......... but it is.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back