New York Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

I assume that there is no reciprocity between NY and VA when you have a VA concealed permit. Am I correct?

Yes you are correct, the state of NY does not have reciprocity with any state!

If you have a New York permit.You may obtain a Utah ,Florida,Virginia non resident permits.Personal Defense Solutions located in the Philadelpia Pa area offers a class that includes everything you need, photo,notary,fingerprinting.Also these other states are mail in New Hampshire,Maine and Connecticut.Massachusetts you have to appear in person but they do allow non resident issue.I believe Maine has reciprocity with Delaware.It's always a good thing to have as many permits as possible if you travel.

A slight correction: one does not need to have a New York State Pistol Permit to obtain a Utah non-resident pistol permit. Utah licenses the person, not the firearm.

A slight correction: one does not need to have a New York State Pistol Permit to obtain a Utah non-resident pistol permit. Utah licenses the person, not the firearm.
An important selling point with a Utah Non resident permit is that it costs only $10 USD to renew.If you don't have a NY permit yet you may take the Utah class and wait until it arrives than apply for your NY permit.You have to go through a FBI backround check with Utah.NY also does the same backround check,so if you are ever denied by the county licensing officer you have some leverage to appeal since you have a Utah Non Resident permit.

The Utah Non-Resident Pistol permit is currently $65.25, is good for 5 years, and is currently renewable for $15.

If one is a resident of New York State and takes the Florida Non-resident pistol permit class in New York State, one must have a New York State Pistol Permit because handling a pistol in New York State without a permit is illegal.
Therefore, having either a Utah or a Florida non-resident pistol permit will do a person who resides in NYS no good if s/he doesn't have a NYS pistol permit. Also, if one is a resident of NYS and purchases a pistol in another state, the likelyhood that s/he will be able to take possession of it is nearly zero. FFL holders in other states know they must ship any pistol purchased by a NYS resident to an FFL holder in NYS for processing before the purchaser may take possession of it.

The Utah Non-Resident Pistol permit is currently $65.25, is good for 5 years, and is currently renewable for $15.

If one is a resident of New York State and takes the Florida Non-resident pistol permit class in New York State, one must have a New York State Pistol Permit because handling a pistol in New York State without a permit is illegal.
Therefore, having either a Utah or a Florida non-resident pistol permit will do a person who resides in NYS no good if s/he doesn't have a NYS pistol permit. Also, if one is a resident of NYS and purchases a pistol in another state, the likelyhood that s/he will be able to take possession of it is nearly zero. FFL holders in other states know they must ship any pistol purchased by a NYS resident to an FFL holder in NYS for processing before the purchaser may take possession of it.
This is a big problem for many people interested in becoming armed security guards.They have to wait for a permit and go back to finish the class because of the law.When did Utah tack on the extra $5?

I suppose I saved someone an extra $5.......

Quite the contrary. Since renewals are not pre-paid, I believe the individual would have discovered the difference when s/he received the renewal notice from Utah. AND, I think we have beat this dead horse long enough.

im almost sure in newyork you carry on your side not covered up for hunting and recreational stuff. does any one know for sure?

At the risk of digging up that horse and re-beating it:

If you are in the process of hunting and have a HUNTING handgun, then you may carry it open or unconcealed. If you are carrying a personal protection handgun for hunting, you may carry that unconcealed -as long as you are actually hunting.

NOT going to or coming from. NOT eating breakfast or lunch near your tree stand....You must be actually in the field, hunting.

Once you leave the field, you must case up or conceal the handgun in some fashion, no matter the type of handgun.

The above was obtained by direct conversation with multiple DEC State Troopers.

At the risk of digging up that horse and re-beating it:

If you are in the process of hunting and have a HUNTING handgun, then you may carry it open or unconcealed. If you are carrying a personal protection handgun for hunting, you may carry that unconcealed -as long as you are actually hunting.

NOT going to or coming from. NOT eating breakfast or lunch near your tree stand....You must be actually in the field, hunting.

Once you leave the field, you must case up or conceal the handgun in some fashion, no matter the type of handgun.

The above was obtained by direct conversation with multiple DEC State Troopers.

"DEC state troopers"? whatever.

The problem is that the NYS law is inane. Technically, a permit is only for concealed carry. No exception for hunting or even self-defense. so logically we assume there must be an assumed exception for displaying a weapon while in the course of self defense or hunting, otherwise a permit would be useless.

But then there is the matter of target practice. If i can display my firearm while hunting can't I also do so while engaged in target practice? So I'm in a state forest and carrying unconcealed. I'm engaged in target practice. I 'm shooting at leaves when the wind moves them.

And what about hunting without displaying my backtag in the southern zone? Does that mean i wasn't hunting and therefore carrying my weapon unconcealed is a violation of the firearm laws? or does it simply mean I was hunting without properly displaying my backtag and it is a mere violation of the hunting regulations?

For those of us that did not understand, All of the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) officers are State Police.

As for the rest. I answered a question posed by a member.

Take care everyone.

Later. I'm out

Let's get this thread back on topic. It should only be for items that need to be updated on the state pages.

NYS seal and flag

give us a AVATAR...FROM MY FILES...USE AT WILL TO MODERATOR OF THIS GROUP!:man_in_love:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back