New Workplace Policy

PascalFleischman

Apparently, they're about to require everyone to sign a consent form to search for drugs, alcohol, & firearms anywhere on company property. Our company is small, and my boss is a very reasonable and gun-friendly kind of guy. Hayeva, this thing stinks of our parent company & their dufus policies....I'm permitted by the state, so I carry at work mainly because one of my employees carries & I don't trust him as far as I can throw him, but also because we have the potential for some "baby momma drama" around here. Plus, I drive through the hood to get here. Banning guns on the premises would mean that I couldn't carry until I got home. Sooooooo, would you:

1) Sign it & continue carrying? (this is what I'm leaning towards)...I doubt I'd get fired at all

2) Talk to my boss about it to see if we could compromise (hopefully to keep allowing me to carry)

3) Or relent & hope that our newly established "Gun Free Zone" (Criminal Safe Zone) stays that way?

I feel ya! The company that I work for was bought out by a bank. So the policy went from no illegal weapons to no weapons of any kind EVEN IF THAT PERSON IS LICENSED TO CARRY IT. Like you its not against state law and the high ups here are very gun friendly. So I signed the handbook and continue as before (If you know what I mean).

It is a tough call. Risk being fired or risk being in a bad situation traveling to/from work or at lunch time unarmed.

I think that's the route I'm going to take. What they don't know (about me, anyway) can't hurt them. It's just the higher-ups that I'd be concerned about if they came to visit.

I think that's the route I'm going to take. What they don't know (about me, anyway) can't hurt them. It's just the higher-ups that I'd be concerned about if they came to visit.

Exactly. I've been at my current job for almost 3 years and its never been an issue.

A perfect example of why I decided to take my chances with being fired was about a month ago there was a shooting in a plaza we eat lunch at often. That could have been the day we decided to go and would have need to defend myself.

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Better to be fired by 1 than carried by 6.

As was said, what is more important your life or your job? I would never knowingly break the law, but company policy is a little different. I do understand. I have been there too. Fortunately I have a new job. Just be sure you are very familiar with the concept of concealed.

Last edited:
+1 and if you refuse to sign just what are the repercussion's, if they threaten with dismissal then I would wounder if the lawyers would like to sue for unjust termination.
Any lockers or desks are theirs they can search them any time with out your consent, your vehicle on the other hand is a different matter and would require a search warrant to be executed by the police.

If you don't sign the new policy/consent form they can absolutely hold you to it, insubordination is perfectly legal grounds for termination. If you park on company property, which I'm assuming most people do, the company does not need a warrant to search your car, especially if the consent form specifies vehicles, which it probably does.

If management is "gun friendly," I say carry away. The purpose of such consent forms is purely for insurance/liability legal garbage anyway. It's not like you'll be tried by a jury and hanged if you're made, they'll probably just pull you into an office for a quiet conversation.

And, quite frankly, no job is worth your life.

Last edited:
Faced the same issue at my employer. I chose not to carry due to my unwillingness to give up what 30 years has gotten me. Termination would be a very costly lesson, (as would losing my life). Only YOU can decide if the consequences outweigh the risk.

To me that's a very personal decision that only you can answer.

My company has a "no weapons" policy and says that they have the right to search our company locations and even our personal vehicles if they are parked on company property.

I don't want to be the legal test case so I use a Center of Mass Gun Safe to store my weapon and park off company property.

I get pissed about that policy EVERY single morning too! :angry2:

Here in Texas a law was passed that basically an employer can not restrict the carrying of firearms in your car unless the parking lot is fenced and has a controled access.

If you don't sign the new policy/consent form they can absolutely hold you to it, insubordination is perfectly legal grounds for termination. If you park on company property, which I'm assuming most people do, the company does not need a warrant to search your car, especially if the consent form specifies vehicles, which it probably does.

If management is "gun friendly," I say carry away. The purpose of such consent forms is purely for insurance/liability legal garbage anyway. It's not like you'll be tried by a jury and hanged if you're made, they'll probably just pull you into an office for a quiet conversation.

And, quite frankly, no job is worth your life.

In Michigan they do further if you refuse and they want to look they have to call the police and request a john doe, on the other hand they cannot hold you against your will and simply driving away is a viable option as long as you are not on the clock, like at shift change they are required by law to pay you if they want you for anything period.
You can also state "Signed under Duress" and that will invalidate it in court.

Last edited:
Gee, this is a tough one. I work two jobs, one of which requires that I carry (security guard), but the other at which I am not allowed to carry. The other job is at the local university, which has a no gun policy. There used to be weapon storage at the university police department for students and employees who didn't have cars (myself included), but when that was discontinued last year, I had to take my chances and just keep my weapon on my person at all times while there. Upgrading to a bigger weapon (a Glock 22) made this even more difficult, but so far, so good.

All I can tell you is that you must weigh the costs of not carrying your weapon at work versus any benefits you expect and determine if the risks outweigh the benefits or vice versa. That's what I did, and fortunately, I still have my job and my safety.

Gee, this is a tough one. I work two jobs, one of which requires that I carry (security guard), but the other at which I am not allowed to carry. The other job is at the local university, which has a no gun policy. There used to be weapon storage at the university police department for students and employees who didn't have cars (myself included), but when that was discontinued last year, I had to take my chances and just keep my weapon on my person at all times while there. Upgrading to a bigger weapon (a Glock 22) made this even more difficult, but so far, so good.

All I can tell you is that you must weigh the costs of not carrying your weapon at work versus any benefits you expect and determine if the risks outweigh the benefits or vice versa. That's what I did, and fortunately, I still have my job and my safety.

Unless one works at a place that has metal detectors the chances of getting caught with a gun on your person,if your have it concealed well, is slim. That is of course unless you have to use it. If the time arises that you need it your job is going to be the least of your concerns

What is the job worth? When you read the fine print of the company official literature you will find that should they decide to close your shop,store,plant, etc at the most they will only obligate themselves for 2 weeks worth of pay or benefits. However, change the focus from the employer to yourself. Can you comment to full time carry in deep cover? Is it really worth the trouble? Do you have the extreme attention to detail and commentment of resources for the long term deep cover? Attention to weapon type, carry equipment and dress options (restrictions). Also look at the risk benefit equations. And of course you should also be an expert in the use of deadly force. Focus on yourself, not the employer. After all, you are the one that would pay the price.

We were just issued a new employee handbook a few weeks ago. One of the policies is that "Weapons of any kind" are not allowed. Nowhere in the handbook is a definition of a "weapon". Pretty vague. I carry a small Gerber knife that has a blade length of a little over 3". While small, it is still pretty nasty and I have no doubts that it could get the job done if called upon. But is it a weapon? I have a bag of golf clubs in my closet. I could take out a 3 iron and literally beat someones brains out with it if I was so inclined. Is that a weapon?

Another policy in the book is that alcohol is not permitted on company grounds. Our marketing department has a kegarator that is fully operational. On many Fridays if things are slow, some departments will go pick up a couple of 12 packs and kick back while sipping a few suds. Everyone is cool with that. From my perspective, this completely invalidates any and all of the policies outlined in the handbook. If a blind eye is turned to one policy, how can they think that they can enforce all of the others? I am considering open carrying just to get them to understand they they are opening themselves up to unlawful termination lawsuits in the future. I like this job, and would hate to have to look for another because they were sued into the ground.

That said, if I was told that I had to sign a consent form to allow searches, I would walk right then.

Sign it, and who cares??? What I mean is the worse that would happen is that you would lose your job if you used your gun. Okay... I would rather have my life than my job.

Make sure you have the smallest gun you feel comfortable with and make sure that it is COMPLETELY concealed. Make sure that you tell NO ONE, not even a single person that you carry ever at any time!!! NEVER TELL ANYONE! I mean that more than anything.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back