new want to learn

Hi Mtdineen-- you seem in the know-- can you tell me if cheap FMJ 9mm luger is available at close to the .22lr price? I may NOT get that .22lr if it can be done

so far the least expensive 9mm fmj I have seen is about 35 cents a round and .22lr rimfired can be had for 15-17 cents a round(priced for 500-1000 rounds on th e net)

If the 9mm could be had @ a lower price, I would just buy 9mm handguns and practice with them instead of a 22lr

Getting 9mm less than $0.35/ea is nearly impossible. But just finding .22lr is also nearly impossible. I did score a 500 box of Rem. Thunderbolt from Cabela's a couple weeks ago for $22 - that = $0.044/ea. So yes, .22lr can still be had for 4-5 cents a round.

These folks have given you great advice. Find a range that rents and has classes to teach you about the different guns and bullet calibers. Try any gun that interests you. See if you can shoot it well, see if it meets your needs of conceal-ability, power, etc. The more powerful the caliber the better it will be in a shooting situation, but, if it's too hard for you to shoot or to big to conceal, or too heavy or bulky for you to carry concealed you won't carry it. The gun you have with you, no matter what caliber it is is MUCH more useful than a big powerful one you left at home.

I would invest the time and get to a real gun store.Or go for a visit to someone who lives near one and enjoy looking with them. I had the same experience and found that nothing was as nice as holding several and finding that one pistol that fit my hand so well, I felt comfortable with it. Have fun and enjoy the search.

boatdoc173, take a look at the website "Gunbot." It will show you the best ammo deals available online. And it is usually updated moment by moment. You can compare the .22 offers at cost per round. And you can compare .22 and 9mm in the same way.

I am new to handguns. I am looking to buy my first handgun soon. I have experience with shotguns and rifles. I am a middle aged woman of medium build. I have hunted dove and quail since I was about 9 or 10. Pawnshops are the closest gun sales to me. The closest actual gun store is over 100 miles away. The pawnshop does have new weapons. I want to learn all I can so I am an informed consumer. I made a trip to the local pawn shop to look at weapons. The clerk was pushing a .380, I am interested in a 9mm. Now I'm more confused than ever because to someone who is uneducated they are very similar. Help I have looked online. Since I have nowhere close to try the different weapons I need honest advice. Help

You didn't say what state you are in as many of the people on this form could be living in your state and give you a better perspective. All have given great advice. Look for a womens group that shoots in your state. I know in that one exsists in Dade Co. Fl. and that my Lady is going there. They meet once a month. My Lady likes my Colt Gov't. .380 similar to the Sig p238. Good luck!

If there's are gun clubs in your area, I bet you can find a bunch of people who would be willing to let you try their personal firearms. I would start with did compacts Glock G26, M&P Shield , Springfield XDS in 9mm, and Ruger SR9C. Then work your way up in size.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

thanks to all above-experienced shooters for the great advice--now I just need a permit and some cheap ammo and I should be all set

have a great s pring all

I just purchased my first handgun. I knew I wanted a 9mm, so I went to the gun shop and held several different 9mms to see what felt best. I ended up going with the Ruger SR9c. My husband and I went out shooting the day after I got it and it is a great gun! Several safety features as well as a very smooth trigger, very minimal recoil as well. My husband loved shooting it too, now he's jealous :)

Bmbrtz

I'm in MO I have managed to find a couple of 9mm at the pawn shop but haven't found any that i really like yet. Getting ready to go to another town that has gun and pawn maybe the have more. Been checking and there are no ranges anywhere near me.

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Get some basic training FIRST. At this point you need fundamentals, not run and gun, or force on force. Reputable instructors will provide a host of handguns and holsters for you to experience in class. That will give you some idea of where your preferences might lead you in handgun selection. Then.....

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion... again....get some training......proper shooting techniques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right. Most gun shops have a box of used holsters that you can experiment with after you've chosen what gun works best for you. There are many options for concealed/open carry.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can consistently hit your target.

If you're buying a handgun for home protection, and you choose to NOT have it on your person, you should consider where in your home you might be if someone kicks the door in. I don't see a person in a position to be able to ask an intruder to "hang on a sec, while I get my gun"

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil...I've known more than a few gents who didn't care for the recoil of what's often called a "ladies gun"... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

Hey Mtdineen

thanks for the response. I suggest you use the gun-bot.com ammo site and use the alert system--I have found rounds of 9mm @ 30 cents orless---decent quality--but I live in a nazi state(CT) that makes me get a ammo or pistol permit before I can buy(6weeks and counting)--so for now I have to pay 20-35 dollars/50 rounds @ local gun ranges--it is better than not being able to shoot at all--but expensive---even 22lr are 8 bucks for 50 at the range

hope this helps you

rob

no matter how far you drive,get to a range or club(if allowed)--the firearms community is very friendly--many wil help you by letting you try their weapons--most ranges also rent--it is better to spend more time and $$$ befor e you buy than regret a purchase and have to start again- IMHO-happy shooting stay safe

rob

wow just found out there is going to be a conceal carry course at my church in May definitely not where I would have thought I would find any information.

When I was younger I found pawn shops fascinating, lots of guns cameras and other cool stuff. When compared to a store that specializes in that "stuff" I found that pawn shops work on a MUCH higher profit margin. Just sayin....

The Church group sounds very promising. I have no doubt that you will be able to persuade some of the others with weapons in your congregation to allow you to try their "favorite flavor".

I was visiting my kids down in southern Utah for Easter and I was invited by my son in law to join their Church group for a shooting outing Thursday evening. Gotta love being out west. There were several without weapons and all got to shoot different weapons. Shotguns, rifles, handguns. Lots of fun. Lots of helpful people. You tend to know them quite well so I'm sure many will be jumping all over themselves to help you out.

The really good news is that if your congregation is sponsoring a class that indicates you have some "gunnies" in leadership positions. You can get some direction from them regarding training and different weapons.

The only advice I have to add (given that others have already given you excellent advice) is to move slow in making a purchase. The reason most of us have holster drawers is that we moved too fast to purchase a new holster only to find with some experience that is wasn't quite what we wanted. Guns are more expensive so more time should be taken to get "just the right fit".

I can't resist one final point. I like a consistent trigger pull. Not the long stiff first pull from D/A then a short light S/A pull thereafter through the rest of the magazine so I use Glocks (wife uses Glock 26). Same trigger pull each and every time. Look seriously at that issue along with the question about is it a carry gun or a home defender. Those are 2 huge issues.

Last edited:
You can find an NRA class near you by using the search function here: Link Removed

A good start would probably be the "NRA FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation" class and then follow it up with "NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course" if those can be found in your area.

boatdoc173,
thanks for the link/tip. I follow the CT crisis and we in MI are pulling for all you CT folks to retake your rights.
Mike

I did it I bought my handgun. Now I just need to find a place locally that I can shoot all public ranges are at least 90 miles or more away from my location.

I did it I bought my handgun. Now I just need to find a place locally that I can shoot all public ranges are at least 90 miles or more away from my location.

Congrats!! What did you finally decide on? We generally like to see pictures of people's new guns if you are willing. :smile:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back