New Walther PPS

cruzthepug

I had been kinda in the market for a small single stack 9mm and the PPS was on my short list. I got my taxes done and sent off yesterday and I thought I would do some shopping today. I noticed that on Walther's website the MSRP is now over $700 so I though I should strike before all the price increases hit the stores. I went to my local shop and I knew they had one a few weeks ago for $599 but didn't think it would still be there. Not only was it still there but it was marked down to $549. After a quick inspection......SOLD.

3260868887_2ca1abaa51.jpg

I'll be heading to the range in the morning to put it through the paces.

I have shot a few Walthers and enjoyed all of them. Most recently, I put 100 rounds of 9mm through one, although not the same one you have. I am usually more accurate with a Walther 9mm than I am with a Glock 9mm. Not sure why, but I have a Walther on my purchase list for the near future.

Well, I must say that after my day at the range, this is one of the best shooters I've had my hands around lately. Very, very accurate at 7 yds. Short, crisp trigger, surprised everyone that shot it, including me. A pleasure to shoot. This gun will compete with my Kimber Ultra Carry for holster time :cool:

I have a few Walthers as well, PPS .40 being the newest. I was originally thinking that I wanted a 9mm in such a tight frame, but went with the .40 because I have had such great results with my P99 .40- that and the fact that Walther has made exclusively 9mm sidearms since before WW2. I simply figured a modern cartridge for a modern Walther made sense. Not to denounce 9mm in any way, I just prefer to shoot that round through a P38 or P5 when it comes to the Walther platform.
As for the new PPS in .40 I am shooting ridiculously tight groups at 15yds with cheap Winchester 180 grain. The weapon has preformed flawlessly in its initial 200 rounds with one FTF early on. Not to worry, like I said this is a 'tight' gun and in my experience new Walthers will statistically experience 1-3 failures somewhere within the first 300-500 rounds or so. My P99 had two FTE on its first day out and never gave me any trouble after that. If you experience failures beyond this rate you might want to check your mags or have them replaced by Smith and Wesson, or perhaps make sure you are properly firing the weapon (hey, it happens). Ammo could be the problem as well, but is less likely as the PPS is designed to eat it regardless. All-in-all I love the new PPS and remember, if you're experiencing multiple failures (which apparently some folks are) check those mags and trust in the German engineering that you paid several hundred dollars for!

I've had one I carry for several months now. I've put about 1000 rnds through it with no problems.

Mine is a .40. As you know the .40 smith is notorious for having a very abrupt "snap" recoil. However Carl Walther's venerable company has done a magnificent job of minimizing this. The PPS .40 has been very accurate for a compact. I have no problem placing "eye poppers" in a silhouette at 25 feet. And I absolutely love the way this weapon conceals. It is uber slim and fits my IWB Kirkpatrick holster like a glove...it is literally a part of me.

If you don't think you need "20 rounds" in your magazine for concealed carry...and you want the "BMW" of weapons I highly reccomend the PPS. Lastly...I have put several brands of ammo...even reloads through this weapon and it ate it ALL. Unlike my finnicky XD45 that only likes a specific diet.

PPSkirk.jpg

I agree, one of the more remarkable features of the PPS is that recoil is extremely minimal. In comparison to my Walther P99 and HK USP in .40 the PPS has much less felt recoil. How the heck did they do it?!

I had been kinda in the market for a small single stack 9mm and the PPS was on my short list. I got my taxes done and sent off yesterday and I thought I would do some shopping today. I noticed that on Walther's website the MSRP is now over $700 so I though I should strike before all the price increases hit the stores. I went to my local shop and I knew they had one a few weeks ago for $599 but didn't think it would still be there. Not only was it still there but it was marked down to $549. After a quick inspection......SOLD.

3260868887_2ca1abaa51.jpg

I'll be heading to the range in the morning to put it through the paces.

I would have bought it for that price too!! You got a good deal on that one. Congrats!

I've been looking into something smaller and easier to conceal in hot weather then my PX4 and pretty much decided on getting the PPS. Have you had any problems with it? How many rounds have you feed it so far? We are due to PCS out to Florida next and in the hot weather I will need something small as I hear that if you are not totally concealed you can be picked up for brandishing.

I've been looking into something smaller and easier to conceal in hot weather then my PX4 and pretty much decided on getting the PPS. Have you had any problems with it? How many rounds have you feed it so far? We are due to PCS out to Florida next and in the hot weather I will need something small as I hear that if you are not totally concealed you can be picked up for brandishing.

I've got about 500 rounds through it without a single burp. I plan to use it for my CCW this summer although it's really not that much smaller than my Kimber Ultra Carry with slim grips, just a little lighter. I guess with the 6 round mag the grip is shorter, so it would be easier to conceal.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back