New to the forum w/ a state of FL question

Celeste

Hello. I'm new to this site, but not to CC (CCing since 2004). I currently live in CT, but I'm moving to FL on June 27th. I've begun the process of acquiring my CC permit there.

My question is in regards to my weapon & FL state law. From what I've read & if I am understanding things correctly, I may have my pistol in my house, "secured" in my vehicle, but NOT on my person as a concealed carry weapon. Is this correct?

If not, what the heck does anyone recommend doing with my weapon until the state of FL gets around to processing my application? I hear "backlog" isn't a strong enough word.:wacko:

Thanks!

Celeste

I'm not up to date on FL law, but here in TN while my permit was "in limbo" I carried a Kabar TDI defensive knife. It wasn't much, but it gave me an ounce of protection. Its also under 4 inches so its legal to carry. I also carry it when I go into bars or places that do not allow firearms. So overall I think it was a pretty good investment.

I'm moving to FL on June 27th. I've begun the process of acquiring my CC permit there.
I may have my pistol in my house, "secured" in my vehicle, but NOT on my person as a concealed carry weapon. Is this correct?
If not, what the heck does anyone recommend doing with my weapon until the state of FL gets around to processing my application? I hear "backlog" isn't a strong enough word.:wacko:

OK..
1st, Welcome to the site
2nd, Welcome to Floriduh

I'm not positive what you are asking, as it's kind of all mushed together.. But here is what I think you need to know..

1) Florida does not recognize your CCW.
2) You may have your pistol in your house
3) You may carry your pistol in your vehicle in your car, loaded - There are two basic stipulations
  • The Pistol has to be Securely Encased
    This is not as scary as it sounds. Here are some examples of "SE"
    weapon is in a holster, bag, enclosed box, container with a clasp, zipper, strap, snap, flap, etc. The idea is that in order to fire the weapon, the device msut 1st be "opened, removed, or undone. It does NOT require a lock. This includes a closed glove compartment, or console or purse, so long as the gun can not be fired without removing it from the container.​
    [*]Not readily accessible for immediate use
    You can have a firearm in a vehicle securly encased, not readily accessible for immediate use, or both. Any combination is legal. This sounds like "SE" , but this means: that the firearm or weapon cannot be use without some type of difficulty that significantly hinders it's immediate use.so a trigger lock, or an empty firearm without any ammunition in "close Proximity"​

If you do not have a carry Permit, you can not have the weapon on your person in the car, and Florida is NOT a Open Carry State, so the weapon should be out of site.

If you are moving to Floriduh, I would highly recommend you pick up the book " Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership" by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq.
The book is written by a lawyer and covers about every scenario in plain English (the above is excerpts from the book) Make sure you get the sixth edition.. (2009)

I don't know what Ct. is like, but Compared to most of the North East, Floriduh is an easy gun state.. I have a friend from New York that has been down here for 6 years and I still have to tell him to relax..

I hope it helps..

I'm still awaiting my permit.. April 1st and counting..​

Thank you for welcoming me. :)

I knew that my CT pistol permit didn't reciprocate in FL. I don't think that CT reciprocates with any state. Bummer.

Where can I pick up your recommended book?

Did I read & understand you correctly when you say that having my pistol in my purse is legal *before* I get my permit? I would have assumed that in my purse constituted on my person. It does in CT, as far as I know. Yes, I think CT is probably a lot more strict in that regard.

Thanks again,
Celeste

Thank you for welcoming me. :)
Where can I pick up your recommended book?

Did I read & understand you correctly when you say that having my pistol in my purse is legal *before* I get my permit? I would have assumed that in my purse constituted on my person. It does in CT, as far as I know. Yes, I think CT is probably a lot more strict in that regard.

Thanks again,
Celeste

Many of the gun stores in Floriduh sell the book (It's about $27!)
Somebody is selling them on Amazon but they want $49 for a $27 list price book.. WTF?
Here is the author's Link Removed.. You might be able to look stuff up or order the book..

Purse.. (we are back to the mash up thing)
I was speaking specifically about "in a car" - So if your gun is in your purse and the purse is sitting on the passenger seat - You're good, as the gun is securely enclosed (so long as you have the purse clasped in some fashion.
In your purse, walking around, is a whole other matter!!! I would agree, it would be deemed "on your person"..

What part of Floriduh are you moving to??

It's funny... I don't see this "mashing" you're talking about :) I'm glad!

I'm moving to central FL, Sumter county.

Celeste

I don't see the mashing either but it does not matter ... what does is that you seem to have a very clear understanding of Florida law already.

You are 100% correct. Without you permit you may have your weapon at your home or place of employment (subject to your employers permission) or you may have it within a "secured" area of your vehicle and other than that you may not carry it.

Apply for the permit as soon as possible and hope the wait goes quickly. The normal in Florida is about 90 days but I guess that may not be accurate at the moment.

The good news is the permit is good for seven years now so you don't have to renew as often and once you get it, the carry rules are really pretty liberal (including OK in restaurants that serve alcohol except in the immediate bar area, and OK to consume alcohol while carrying with limits similar to driving).

I find the restaurant carry restriction in most states the same as saying no carry at all because how can you go out anywhere if you have to be certain that you do not enter any area that sells drinks? This rule usually means the weapon has to stay in the car? How does that make sense ... at least Florida allows you a bit more latitude.

I find the restaurant carry restriction in most states the same as saying no carry at all because how can you go out anywhere if you have to be certain that you do not enter any area that sells drinks? This rule usually means the weapon has to stay in the car? How does that make sense ... at least Florida allows you a bit more latitude.

You must be "served" your drinks and don't sit at tall tables with tall stools near the bar area, as they can be considered "Bar height" thus part of the bar area.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back