new to colorado

hi all, ------- my hubby is military and we recently moved to colorado springs. I was wondering if we are allowed to carry with our pa (resident) permit? I have seen some sites that say YES, but if you could provide a link from maybe the courthouse or something like that, it would be benificial, since we like to carry the paper work with us as well as our handguns. Thanks

As I understand it, if you are a resident of PA and visiting CO, then CO will recognize your permit (due to reciprocity agreement between PA and CO).

However, if you say you have moved to CO, then you may ONLY carry with a CO permit, which you must apply through the sheriff's office. CO passed a law back in May that out of state permits will only be recognized if the permit holder is a resident of the state that issued it. For me, it means that my FL permit is useless in CO, because I'm a resident of NJ; a resident of FL will have their permit recognized. One of the reasons for that legislation was to prevent CO residents from using permits from other states.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion. You can also check out www.cssa.org.

Not quite, there's a grace period...

There's a 90 day statutory grace period for a new CO resident to carry under any CCW that's on the CO list per Link Removed.

Before you file any paperwork you may want to check with the local sheriff there. You are living in Colorado, but since you are military you can maintain your state of residence with PA, you should not need to get a CO CCW permit. I think as long as your records reflect PA, and that you maintain a PA driver's license and license plates you should be fine, but like I said earlier, you should do some checking.

Before you file any paperwork you may want to check with the local sheriff there. You are living in Colorado, but since you are military you can maintain your state of residence with PA, you should not need to get a CO CCW permit. I think as long as your records reflect PA, and that you maintain a PA driver's license and license plates you should be fine, but like I said earlier, you should do some checking.

You may want to consider talking to the base legal rep. I know in my case I am considered to be a legal resident of my home state as long as I am an active duty military member, however my wife is not. So in this matter the base legal office should be able to give you proper guidence. If not a call to the local police office or city or county courts office should clear the matter up.

Dual or multiple residency...

Your husband will be ok as long as he maintains his home of record being in PA.

However, the sticky legal issue is you. If you are keeping the home listed on your PA DL, vehicle and voter registration then you're fine. If not, then you as a civilian, must change your DL, vehicle and voter registration from PA to CO and thus must get a CO CCW within 90 days of getting the CO DL.

Only active duty military and persons with a bonefide brick and mortar residence are exempt from establishing residency in the State they are currently domiciled in. For example, if I had a seasonal home in Florida and one in Nevada, I am not required to maintain a Florida CCW as long as my declared State of residency is Nevada as Nevada is on the Florida reciprocity list and I maintain a Nevada DL. Your declared State of residency being the State that issues your DL or ID.

If you have a relative in PA, you feasibly could change your PA address on your PA DL, vehicle and voter registration to their address and have them receive your crucial mail then send it to you on as needed basis in CO. The legal argument for you keeping your PA residency is that your spouse is active duty military and his home of record is PA. The issue with that would be if you change counties when your PA LTC is up you have to go through that county sheriff's application process. Not all PA Sheriffs are equal when it comes to being shall issue or as pro 2A as Sheriff Denny Nau of Centre County.

Here's another twist

With you being a civilian, if you maintain a residence on base (i.e. live in base housing) then you should be able to maintain your state of residence as PA. As others have said, it would be good to contact base legal as well as the county sheriff

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back