New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property

Thanks for that tidbit of info. I knew some screwy stuff had happened but not who or how. It is amazing how much power certain Senators can have with so little sense.

I am afraid that S.593 may be killed at least for this year. A last minute amendment to the bill now has it so confusing that I am not sure what it says. From what I can tell we are back to the conflicting code between 16-23-420 and 16-23-430 that was the point of the original objections and sent back to the Senate that way. I am not sure if those offering the amendment in were trying to help or keep the bill from passage. It sure looks like it was an attempt to keep it from becoming law and another delay tactic. With this latest last minute BS I don't see it passing this year. Maybe some of you closer to the inside can help.

The SC Senate failed to concur with the House version of S.593. Now this means that either the House accepts the Senate version that was passed or it could possibly go before a joint committee to work out the differences or it could just die. Some Senators actually read the law and started realizing how screwed up the present law is and tried to change that. Others tried to grandstand and say the amendment permitted drug dealers to carry on school campuses. Our only hope is for the House to pass the Senate version or hope for next year.

The House receded their amendments so S.593 passed as the Senate version and is being sent to the Govenor to sign. It means that if you have a CWP you can have your gun on school grounds as long as you keep it in the glove box , console etc. which is dumb as you have to fiddle with it before going on school grounds to take it out of you holster and place it in the glove box. However it no means that I can carry mine to work with me and park in the school parking lot and be legal. A very small victory but a start. There were some comments brought up during the debate by some Senators who were surprised that the existing laws made criminals out of current citizens for carrying plumbing pipe or electrical conduit on trucks to pick up kids was illegal. There is a good possibility that this may be addressed again next year.

Great, thank you for the info. I'm sure my kids are wondering why I won't take them to school anymore. Now I can! Nothing back in the works on the restaurant side though?

Great, thank you for the info. I'm sure my kids are wondering why I won't take them to school anymore. Now I can! Nothing back in the works on the restaurant side though?

The restaurant deal is going to be tough but I did watch part of the last debate and a few eyes were opened. They ran out of time this session and risked losing it all to get it through. There is some hope for next year but keep breathing rather than holding it in.

This bill has been ratified in the House and Senate. I believe we have to wait until Tuesday to see if the governor decides to veto. Anybody hear differently? I sure hope this passes. Maybe then people will allow CWP in restaurants that serve alcohol... I can't go into Moe's with my weapon.

This bill has been ratified in the House and Senate. I believe we have to wait until Tuesday to see if the governor decides to veto. Anybody hear differently? I sure hope this passes. Maybe then people will allow CWP in restaurants that serve alcohol... I can't go into Moe's with my weapon.

Sorry but the restaurant version did not pass. S.593 passed, not S.347. S.593 only provides for carry on school grounds.

Link Removed :mad:

Link Removed :biggrin:

Sorry, I guess my statement came out wrong. What I meant was, now that the school grounds bill passed, maybe they'll lighten up and let the restaurant carry be allowed the next time it comes up. Thanks for clarifying though.

Sorry, I guess my statement came out wrong. What I meant was, now that the school grounds bill passed, maybe they'll lighten up and let the restaurant carry be allowed the next time it comes up. Thanks for clarifying though.

You may be correct. I certainly hope so. There were some eyes opened during debate but we still have a few idiots in the legislature.

You may be correct. I certainly hope so. There were some eyes opened during debate but we still have a few idiots in the legislature.

The bill passed the house 110 to 2 (2009-2010 Bill 593: Weapons - South Carolina Legislature Online) not sure why they'd be more worried about carrying around alcohol vs. kids. If found an interesting verse while reading my bible the other night:

I Timothy 1:8 says "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious..."

I wish our legislators would realize that amending the law is not going to thwart the actions of the "lawless" but only the lawful, as stated in the verse above. Oh well. Just thought it was a cool application.

Sanford has until tonight to sign the bill or it automatically becomes law.

This bill has been signed by the Gov. and is now law. If you have a CWP you can have your weapon on the school grounds as long as you keep it in the glove box, console or in a case in the luggage compartment.

This not only covers handguns but rifles and shotguns. For instance you can drop off your children with your shotgun in the rear of your truck as long as it is in a case. This is a good excuse for hunters that never really plan to carry a pistol to get their CWP.

It does cover some other weapons but it is a step in the right direction, although a small step.

2009-2010 Bill 593: Weapons - South Carolina Legislature Online

Thanks FN. I checked the scstatehouse.gov site early this morning, but it had not been updated.

I figured he would let it expire, becoming law, rather than signing it. Good for him.... er, good for us.

It is my understanding that in SC, anyone without a CWP can still carry a loaded handgun in the glovebox or console of their vehicle. Will this bill change anything for them? Or for that matter, is the current law not allowing guns on school property only applicable to CWP holders?

It is my understanding that in SC, anyone without a CWP can still carry a loaded handgun in the glovebox or console of their vehicle. Will this bill change anything for them? Or for that matter, is the current law not allowing guns on school property only applicable to CWP holders?

Anyone in SC who is over 18 and not a "criminal" for lack of a beter term can carry a handgun in their glove box, or console. You do not need a CWP to do that.

Previously it was illegal for anyone to carry a gun on school grounds. For instance you could not pick up your child from school if you went on school property with a gun in your car no matter if you has a CWP or not. This applied to all schools and colleges.

What this law does is allow a CWP holder to pick up their child without having to leave their gun at home or where ever. It also allows someone such as me to now legally carry my gun with me to and from work (I work at a college) and leave it in my car during the day. Previously I could not have it in the parking lot so I had to leave it at home. :mad::no::sarcastic: I had no place to store it while at work.

It covers all guns so hunters would be included as long as they have a CWP.

The new law only applies to CWP holders.

This bill has been signed by the Gov. and is now law. If you have a CWP you can have your weapon on the school grounds as long as you keep it in the glove box, console or in a case in the luggage compartment.

This not only covers handguns but rifles and shotguns. For instance you can drop off your children with your shotgun in the rear of your truck as long as it is in a case. This is a good excuse for hunters that never really plan to carry a pistol to get their CWP.

It does cover some other weapons but it is a step in the right direction, although a small step.

2009-2010 Bill 593: Weapons - South Carolina Legislature Online

I got my email today on this. I agree it's a small step and I'm furious that our reps didn't push the restaurant carry that was on this bill originally. All permit holders in SC should start a telephone campaign and burn up their lines demanding a bill for restaurant carry be introduced and passed. We should also call and tell them how disgusted we are that it was taken out of this bill. ok...so much for venting!

I'm assuming because this amendment calls Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 (Concealed Weapons) which includes section 23-31-235 (sign requirements) that any school or private college (I have one in mind that I visit quite often) would be required to post a legal "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" sign at all their entrances if they wish to continue banning all firearms? And that if said private college had a sign simply stating "firearms prohibited on campus" that would not legally stop a CWP holder from coming on-campus with a gun in the glove box?

I'm assuming because this amendment calls Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 (Concealed Weapons) which includes section 23-31-235 (sign requirements) that any school or private college (I have one in mind that I visit quite often) would be required to post a legal "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" sign at all their entrances if they wish to continue banning all firearms? And that if said private college had a sign simply stating "firearms prohibited on campus" that would not legally stop a CWP holder from coming on-campus with a gun in the glove box?

Good question but to prohibit you from bringing it on the property they must 1) be a private school or college and 2) meet the sign requirements as listed in SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

This covers only private property and public equipment. A state agency can prohibit you from carrying while you are driving a state vehicle but not from state property with signs.

Sooo I go to USC Sumter and it is not a private college but they do have a no concealed weapons sign posted before you drive into the parking lot....I am not sure that it meets the legal sign requirements...But even if it does will i still be able to carry onto the school property....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back