New South Carolina Bill Would Allow Guns On School Property

Sooo I go to USC Sumter and it is not a private college but they do have a no concealed weapons sign posted before you drive into the parking lot....I am not sure that it meets the legal sign requirements...But even if it does will i still be able to carry onto the school property....

The sign did/does not need to meet the requirements as they are not covered by the sign law to start with. They were/are covered by a different law. You can have it in your glove box etc. on campus as prescribed by law.

SECTION 23-31-220 (Sign Law) Only covers private property.

I support this bill 100%....my only question is what about people who DON'T have a CWP, but can still legally carry in the glove box due to the SC law? It's legal without a permit....so are they excluded and would have to be inconvienenced if they needed to pick their child up from school??

I really like the part about the restaurant thing....rarely do I drink and I think it sucks that just because they serve it to others, I cannot carry!

keep0njeepin0n, this bill only applies to CWP holders. If you don't have a CWP then you can't have a firearm on school grounds. At a private school you can have one in your vehicle if you don't have a CWP only if you get written permission from the school. School carry is now law.

Restaurant carry that serves alcohol was removed from the bill. We need to contact our reps and make it known that we want that right.

Ok cool, so now what about the second part of the bill that was to allow carrying inside a restaurant where alcohol is served for consumption???

Restaurant carry that serves alcohol was removed from the bill. We need to contact our reps and make it known that we want that right.

Like I said above it was removed and there is nothing in the works for it as of today.

keep0njeepin0n, this bill only applies to CWP holders. If you don't have a CWP then you can't have a firearm on school grounds. At a private school you can have one in your vehicle if you don't have a CWP only if you get written permission from the school. School carry is now law.

Ok, so I go to Clemson, and I normally carry my gun in my truck when I get out of school, and make sure I take it out on school nights (in other words, I always have it in my truck except when I'm going to school). I do not have a CWP, but I had my first night of the class last night, and my final night is tonight. I asked the guy (who is currently with the Anderson County Sheriff's Dept.) about this law and when I mentioned "...for CWP holders", he corrected me and said that it applied to everyone. Now I tried reading the bill for myself, but let's face it, I don't have a law degree, so understanding that thing is dang near impossible. I need clarification on how the law is actually interpreted. I mean no disrespect to cops, but he fit the normal stereotype (he loved to talk). So did he not know what he was talking about and just trying to act like he knew one more thing that I didn't, or can I carry in my truck without a CWP on school grounds? The reason I ask is because even though I'm taking the class now, I'm not eligible to apply until November.

Rule #1 Never ask a LEO about a law! You'll get 15 different answers from 15 different LEO's. :no:

He's wrong! If you read the law it states that it's illegal for anyone to have a firearm on school grounds. If you read further it states that people with a CWP are exempt from this law.

(A32, R74, S593)

AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-430, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE PROHIBITION ON THE CARRYING OF WEAPONS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY, SO AS TO PROVIDE AN EXCEPTION FOR PERSONS WHO ARE AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE A MOTOR VEHICLE AND SECURED; AND TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-420, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE PROHIBITION ON THE CARRYING OR DISPLAYING OF FIREARMS IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS AND ADJACENT AREAS, SO AS TO PROVIDE AN EXCEPTION ON SCHOOL PROPERTY FOR PERSONS WHO ARE AUTHORIZED TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE A MOTOR VEHICLE AND SECURED.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

Concealed weapons, school property exception

SECTION 1. Section 16-23-430 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:

"Section 16-23-430. (A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms, or any other type of weapon, device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

(B) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.

(C) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. Any weapon or object used in violation of this section may be confiscated by the law enforcement division making the arrest."

Concealed weapons, school property exception

SECTION 2. Section 16-23-420(A) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 294 of 2004, is further amended to read:

"Section 16-23-420. (A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post-secondary institution, or in any publicly owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property. The provisions of this subsection related to any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, or other post-secondary institution, do not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle."

The guy that I took my CWP class from told us that it normally takes about 90 days, but they have to legally get it to you within 180 days. He also said that lately it's been taking almost all of that 180 days. I called SLED to ask them about this and they said that was true last year but now they've actually cut it down to a little less than 90 days.

So I have a question...

If I am dropping off my kid at school, and I have my gun in my holster, but I don't exit the vehicle, am I being legal here? The law states that I can have it "when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle"

Danno said:
So I have a question...

If I am dropping off my kid at school, and I have my gun in my holster, but I don't exit the vehicle, am I being legal here? The law states that I can have it "when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle"
Here's how you need to think about it: even though the law applies only to CWP holders, the privileges of a CWP don't apply. When on public school grounds, your CWP is just your ticket to have your normal SC gun rights. You get what I'm saying or did I make it even more confusing?

G50AE said:
If you are on the property of the school, the sidearm needs to be stowed to be in compliance. This is not a perfect reform to the previous law, but it's a start. We will need to try this one again untill the legislature gets it right.
And the entire US needs to get it right. When I turn 21 and get my CWP, I'd like to be able to carry to class. If you look at the Constitution, it says nothing about a permit under the 2nd Amendment (or an age but let's face it, that would be crazy to have kids carrying). So in my opinion, the fact that I have to get a permit to carry, and then putting stipulations on where I can carry even then is a huge slap in the face by our gov't. I mean if you think about it, that should mean that we need a free speech permit and there's still stipulations on what you can say then. I guess I shouldn't say that though, it might give the Obama administration some ideas.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back