New Shotgun: Mossberg 590A1 or Benelli SuperNova Tactical

442js

I am looking into getting a home defense shotgun in the next few months (plus shooting at the range), and I am looking into one of these two shotguns. I know the Mossberg is 8+1 and a 20" barrel while the Benelli is 3+1 and a 18.5" barrel. I am sure they are both good shotguns. Which one would you guys recommend and why?

Thank you.

I recently got the Mossberg 500 Persuader. Has an 18.5 inch barrel, comes with a full stock and a pistol grip in the box if you want to put that on instead. Its 5+1 and very good looking.

Have the Mossberg 5901A MilSpec with 5+1 18.5" barrel - LOVE the ghost ring sights. Same set up used by the Coast Guard for boarding parties. Use for both home defense and range. For home defense, First two out are game loads, next two 00 Buck, followed by two slugs....escalation of force for any situation. NO regrets at all with this purchase!

My Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical with 18.5 barrel is 8+1. I put a new stock with a butt stock AND a pistol grip.

Remington 870. Many, many, many, many years in production. A history of reliability. Most used by law enforcement. Oh, not a choice given in original post, sorry!

Have the Mossberg 5901A MilSpec with 5+1 18.5" barrel - LOVE the ghost ring sights. Same set up used by the Coast Guard for boarding parties. Use for both home defense and range. For home defense, First two out are game loads, next two 00 Buck, followed by two slugs....escalation of force for any situation. NO regrets at all with this purchase!

The 590A1 I am looking at is a 20" barrel, and it also has ghost ring sights. I heard good things about those sights. I was planning on just using 00 Buck.

My Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical with 18.5 barrel is 8+1. I put a new stock with a butt stock AND a pistol grip.

The M1 is nice, but out of my price range. The SuperNova Tactical is the only Benelli in my price range which is a pity because the M4 looks great.

Since Benelli sold out Italian citizens by supporting the making illegal the sale of military look alike rifles, along with Pedersoli and two other Italian gun companies (Guns that they do not make)but are made by their American competitors, I would buy the Mossberg 590A1, a fine weapon in its own right.

I am going to get the Mossberg 590A1 though I reconsidering which model. Do I want the 20" barrel that holds more rounds or the 18" barrel that holds fewer rounds. Decisions, decisions.

More rounds are good, BUT if your first concern is for home defense, the shorter barrel in confined quarters is a big plus. I have a side saddle on the stock with an additional 6 rounds for immediate reload. If the fight's still on after 12 rounds, I've made a whole lot of mistakes and will have to rely on my XD 45.

I bought a Benelli Nova many years ago and I use to shoot Trap and Skeet with it, until I got an O/U shotgun for clay shoot, so it has been retired to home defense. I love the look of the Nova, but I have no experience with the SuperNova or the Mossberg.

In regards to your question, it depends on what you can afford and which one has the features you are looking for. Also, which one can you customize more?

Even though I have a Benelli, I'm leaning towards the Mossberg. You can customize it pretty easy.

A few others have mentioned it, even though you didn't ask about it, but I would go with the Remington 870 over the two you mentioned. Just my personal pick.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back