New RUGER LCR .357

ALUCARD

brand new to the scene, anyone here plan on getting one ? i wonder if it will be difficult to shoot like the LCP

brand new to the scene, anyone here plan on getting one ? i wonder if it will be difficult to shoot like the LCP

I haven't found the LCP to be difficult to shoot. I'd be interested in the new .357. Might be a good jacket pocket gun.

I will stick to my SP101 in .357. At 25 oz, that is light enough. The LCR is only 17 oz, better than the really light weights of 13 oz, but still, that is a whole lot of bang handled by your hand with very little weight to mitigate it..

I will stick to my SP101 in .357. At 25 oz, that is light enough. The LCR is only 17 oz, better than the really light weights of 13 oz, but still, that is a whole lot of bang handled by your hand with very little weight to mitigate it..

And I thought Alaskans were supposed to be tough!:sarcastic:

And I thought Alaskans were supposed to be tough!:sarcastic:

Only when we are young and dumb. What do you have left to prove after you are 50? I did get my simply rugged holster yesterday for my SP101, so perhaps there remains a little. No thanks to the LCR .357.

I found the LCP to be a challenge to shoot the first time, fine after a day at the range.

Would like to try the .357 LCR!

Its tough to hit anything with the LCR 38, and it gives you a pretty good hit, a 357? had a light 357 smith snubby that dam little gun hurt, I would rather shoot my 454, but to be honest, if these little guns are kept and used for there intended purpose, self defence, they will be fine, what pisses people off is they buy these little guns and go to the range, and don't do well, or the guns gives them more of a wack than they were expecting, they don't want it no more

Its tough to hit anything with the LCR 38, and it gives you a pretty good hit, a 357? had a light 357 smith snubby that dam little gun hurt, I would rather shoot my 454, but to be honest, if these little guns are kept and used for there intended purpose, self defence, they will be fine, what pisses people off is they buy these little guns and go to the range, and don't do well, or the guns gives them more of a wack than they were expecting, they don't want it no more
+1. If used in a self defense situation by a novice, they probably will fire that .357 once and drop it.

That sounds good. Maybe I can pick one slightly used for cheap.:pleasantry:

I understand it is double action only just like the .38 which is ok for self defense, but I wouldn't want to spend any time at the range practicing with it...:fie:

As one who owns and regularly carries one of the 357 Mag Smith and Wesson Airlight Titanium revolvers, I can say that shooting 357's in this gun is not a fun and happy activity. It hurts like hell. There is a joke with several instructors I hang out with, about pulling the gun and having to decide which is worse; being attacked or shooting the gun. :biggrin:

Understand, I will probably not even feel the gun go off in a shooting situation, but when I want to shoot at the range for practice I drop back to 38 specials. And that is what I end up carrying. The Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, 38 Spec +p's. You can really tell the difference when you pull the trigger. I guess having it in 357 mag does give you more options and if nothing but 357 is available, you at least have ammo. But it ain't no fun to shoot. It's a gun you carry alot and shoot very little.

I got to play around with both the LCP and the LCR (.38 spl) at the range.

I didn't like the LCP at all; nothing to hold on to and it kicks way too hard. It was especially rough on my trigger finger, which kept getting smacked by the trigger guard.

I like the LCR. It definitely kicks harder than my SP101, but it weighs half as much and the recoil is easily manageable. I wouldn't want to shoot it in .357 though.

One advantage I can see to a .357 version would be reliability. They will obviously have to beef up the gun somewhat to handle .357 loads. This would result in a longer life expectancy shooting .38 Specials. As long as it doesn't add too much weight to the gun, which would defeat the purpose.

So I find the LCP painful (and I'm a guy who loves to spend an afternoon at the range with my S&W 629 .44 Magnum w/4" barrel) but I'm planning on buying a LCR.

I was trying to find the SP101 .357 w/ 3" bbl but got tired of waiting for 4 months and bought the LCR .38. Sweet shooting gun - made a 2 inch group at 50 ft a couple of times. Cheap to reload for as well.

I think what may piss people off more (it did me) is buying the LCR 38 and then 3 months later they state a .357 is available. I'm still kicking myself for that. But my LCR 38 has always been a good gun.

I was trying to find the SP101 .357 w/ 3" bbl but got tired of waiting for 4 months and bought the LCR .38. Sweet shooting gun - made a 2 inch group at 50 ft a couple of times. Cheap to reload for as well.

I think what may piss people off more (it did me) is buying the LCR 38 and then 3 months later they state a .357 is available. I'm still kicking myself for that. But my LCR 38 has always been a good gun.

I wouldn't kick yourself too hard. As one who owns a couple of titanium lightweight 357 mags, it HURTS to shoot. Actually, I load mine with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Loads as the 357 kick just too darn bad. After all, it's a gun you shoot very little and carry alot. But my accuracy and speed increase with the 38's. I also have a set of checkered Eagle Secret Service Rosewood Grips on mine. It keeps the grip a little more concealable in the pocket holster, but it sure doesn't take any sting out of the recoil, that's for sure.

Having a few hundred rounds through my LCR now, I think it is fair to say that 357LCR would not be fun to shoot.

The LCR is tame with wadcutters for practice. The 135 Gold-Dots are stiff but manageable.

THis is with the "Tamer" grips. The CT grips are slightly softer than a bowling ball and are very unpleasant to shoot with.

This gun in 357 brings the thought of "PAIN" to mind.

I did fire the LCP. It definitely HURT! Certainly less than being murdured, but who would practice with it any meaningful amount.

My $0.02

-Doc

My wife and I have decided to buy the LCR .357 whenever it becomes available. We plan on practicing with .38 SPL and carrying it with .38 SPL +P. We have no intention of using it with .357 but the extra 4 ounces should make .38's more enjoyable.

With respect to the LCR.........................

I recently purchased an LCR-CT .38spl. for on person concealed carry. I still carry my Mil Spec 45 as a truck gun. I bought the LCR because of the weight.

We recently went to Oklahoma, traveling through AZ, NM, TX and into OK. I carried the LCR in my right front pants pocket. (Except while in NM, where I put it in the console). I can tell you that I hardly realized I was carrying a weapon. It was so comfortable I actually felt the outside of my pocket 'just to be sure'!

I have shot the LCR several times, having about 100 rounds fired so far. With the CT sights out of the box accuracy was about 1" low, on center, at 40'. Groups ran in the 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" circle.

In my opinion the LCR with CT sights is an ideal conceal carry weapon. I used to carry a Glock 30SF, but the weight made me think about taking it along. Not so with the LCR.

I do not think I would want to shoot .357's through a weapon so small. .38 self defense ammo will do the trick should I ever have the need to use it.

Ruger LCR 357 available soon....

I just called Ruger customer service and spoke to a helpful and friendly rep. He told me that the LCR 357's were going to distributors now. From the distributors they go to 6000 dealers across the country. He didn't give me a time frame, but it should be soon now I assume. Just FYI for anyone interested.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back