New resident, Old permit / New Permit questions

Shadablade

Hello all,

I just moved to Dallas / Ft. Worth area for a new job position after growing up / living in North Carolina for the last 30 years. ( Irony is I was born in San Antonio!)

Anyhow, I have a North Carolina CCL which I see that Texas is reciprocal with, though its own expiration date comes due in March / '14. One of my main questions I guess is where is a good start for getting the ball rolling on my Tx CCL? Ive been to a few different local shops and stores and they all say call this person or that person and are quick to gloss over details, but Id kind of like those details as it seems the process is a bit different from the NC process.

Also, as I am a resident here now (tho i still have my NC identification, just paper doc so far for new address and like, been busy so havent gotten new drivers licence yet) and it wouldnt be crossing state lines, can I use my NC CCL to purchase a new Handgun from one of the local shops, or is that something that im not going to be able to do until I get my new one?

Many Thanks!

Hello all,

I just moved to Dallas / Ft. Worth area for a new job position after growing up / living in North Carolina for the last 30 years. ( Irony is I was born in San Antonio!)

Anyhow, I have a North Carolina CCL which I see that Texas is reciprocal with, though its own expiration date comes due in March / '14. One of my main questions I guess is where is a good start for getting the ball rolling on my Tx CCL? Ive been to a few different local shops and stores and they all say call this person or that person and are quick to gloss over details, but Id kind of like those details as it seems the process is a bit different from the NC process.

Also, as I am a resident here now (tho i still have my NC identification, just paper doc so far for new address and like, been busy so havent gotten new drivers licence yet) and it wouldnt be crossing state lines, can I use my NC CCL to purchase a new Handgun from one of the local shops, or is that something that im not going to be able to do until I get my new one?

Many Thanks!

The Texas Department of Public Safety administers the Concealed Handgun Licensing (CHL) Program under the authority of the Texas Government Code Chapter 411, Subchapter H. DPS licenses individuals to carry concealed handguns within Texas, evaluates the eligibility of applicants through criminal history background checks and monitors those currently licensed to ensure their continued eligibility. DPS also trains and certifies instructors who teach the required course to applicants.

See http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/index.htm for the straight information.

Hello all,

Many Thanks!

Every state will have variations in requirements and procedures. Kansas changed its law in 2012 to allow new residents to continue to carry on a non-expired reciprical license while their Kansas application is being processed provided the application included a copy of tye valid out of state license. Concealed Carry - Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt

A Google search for "state name" concealed carry will find the state attorney general, state police or department of public safety with complete instructions.

Link Removed is the official state page to start. Link Removed is a private org with less legalize perhaps. https://www.tsra.com/ is the state association, which you should join [don't forget to update your NRA address or join too.

You must be a resident for 6 months before applying for a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL). To prove residency for that time period you will need a state issued photo ID, IE; a drivers license. You can carry under your NC license until it expires or until you receive your Texas CHL.

Once you get a Tx DL you can purchase handguns from FFLs, but you will have to go through the NICS background check which takes about 5 minutes. After obtaining your CHL you won't have to go through that. If NC has non-resident CCLs then you can renew it as such. But your TX CHL will be honored by NC. Here is the Texas DPS CHL Website. Link Removed

There is no permit required to purchase a handgun in Texas.
True, but the last time I got a handgun in TX, I had to have it sent to Ark to a FFL in order to have my NICS check done and then take possession. Since I live in AR and my ID is here they could not sell it to me and receive it there. This was 3.5 years ago.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back