New reloader

ijon

How hard is it to reload. And how expensive is it to get into reloading?

Reloading your own ammo can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. Lee makes servicable equipment,you can get everything you need for less than 100$,or it can be as expensive as you want. I started off with a Lee hand loading set. The money you save will pay for the equipement over tiime. Get a good manual,a good scale and read both of them. Pay attention to what you're doing and you wont blow yourself up. As you grow into it you will become more knowledgeable. But always refer to a manual. Good luck. But then if you get into reloading that means there will be one more person out there using primers and powder that is hard to come by at the moment. On second thought,reloading is like alchemy,black magic and Chinese checkers all rolled into one. LOL,,,good luck!!:sarcastic:

Hey guys... I’m looking for the same info for myself. I'm looking at the Dillon Precision Square Deal B. Set up for 45auto. I know it's a little on the expensive side, but I've been told the customer service is great and the units are setup from the factory and ready to make ammo. That will help a "new to reloading" guy like me get up and running quickly. Then I can get good reference material and make my own adjustments.
So that leads me to my question. What are some good reference resources? In book format or web sites?
I have noted that brass and supplies are back ordered on most sites. I was told that late fall into winter that's the case as most reloading folks stock up for the winter months and spend the cold nights and weekends at the bench.

Thanks in advance..

6shootercarry check the sticky at the top of this forum for data sites. I joined AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"! and they have a wealth of data for only $19.00 a year.
Thanks.
Will have to look into that. Any other good books to help get me going? I really want to get some reading material and learn enough to get going in the right direction. Any good information would be a start.
I've got a few eBay auctions running now and the money will be going toward the Dillon as soon as it clears.
Call it Merry Christmas to me.:laugh:

My son in law has jumped into the world of firearms and reloading with both feet. He had a rather large tax return this year and bought a couple of handguns and ALL of his reloading equipment. He has done a lot of research about reloading online and through books. He is already casting his own bullets, etc... .380 and .40 S&W to be specific. He tested his first batch of both recently and here is how it went;

Out of 50rnds. of .380, he had two FTF's and three duds. He did say he loaded a couple grains lighter on the powder which is why he probably experienced the FTF's. He did this because the bullets he cast for the .380 were a tad heavier than what they were supposed to be. To compensate he loaded a little lighter to be on the safe side. I don't know what caused the duds... the primer had been tapped by the firing pin, they just never went off.

On the 50rnds. of .40, he had better results... only two rounds that gave him a problem and it was a seating or a crimping issue.. the bullets seated too deaply into the casings once the cartridges were chambered. He fired his lead cast bullets through his Glock 22 RTF2. Of course he had done his homework so he knew not to use the OEM barrel. He got a barrel from Lone Wolf Dist. for shooting his homemade bullets.

Anyway, I thought I would ask for him... What would have caused the duds in the batch of .380? I don't reload yet and I only know from what I have read and heard. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reloading is much cheaper compare to purchasing factory ammo. Beside you can load to your own specification thus increase the accuracy of the gun that you are using. I recommend Dillon Precision , I bought a dillon Square Deal for almost 8 years now. Their NO BS warranty is extremely oustanding. I requested several worn out parts , they delivered it quickly no shipping cost and no single cents to pay. Superb and Oustanding Customer Service and Technical Support.

Thanks.
Will have to look into that. Any other good books to help get me going? I really want to get some reading material and learn enough to get going in the right direction. Any good information would be a start.
I've got a few eBay auctions running now and the money will be going toward the Dillon as soon as it clears.
Call it Merry Christmas to me.:laugh:

6 shooter,

Come over my house. I just set up with a complete dylan system.

Is Reloading target ammo effective anymore?

Don't know about everyone else but I'm finding the cost of reloading to get rather expensive between the primers and powders, not to mention availiabity.
Haz Mat fees really prohibit Internet orders unless you do volume but my vendors are having problems stocking my primers and powders.

ijon, check out Texas Health Resources that is a nother excellent forum especially getting information with avid reloaders.

Be safe and alert when reloading. Very important to follow the manuals. I use the Hornady LNL but would suggest the Lee 4 hole turret for around 100.00 set up. The latter on if you really get into it the LNL is around 400.00 You can always have two presses set up. Have fun :biggrin:

The cost depends on how much you shoot and how much time you have.

If you shoot a lot and don't have much time the Progressive press is going to set you back a bunch of cash.

If you shoot once in awhile and you have time between outings to reload a bunch of ammo, a single stage press will work and won't cost as much.

No matter which press you get you'll still have other fixed costs that aren't machine dependent.

Manuals, tumbler and media, separator, scale,bullet puller, primer flipper, lube.

Caution on buying a Dillion Square Deal B. The dies are only for that press and not upgradable.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back