New pistol break in

GGB

How do you break in a new pistol before it’s your edc? This forum has become mostly political over the past year. Just trying to bring it back to gun and carry related topics I tear down a new pistol, clean and lube, then the range for 2 to 3 hundred rounds. Clean and lube again then a second go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I consider a new gun good to go for carry if it can fire a couple of hundred rounds of FMJ without any failure of any kind even with some intentional limp wristing the gun followed by a couple of mags of carry ammo.

Same here. I’ll run a couple hundred target rounds through it to break it in, and maybe a box of the defensive ammo through it that I intend to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just got home from the range breaking in a new pistol. I like to put 1000 rounds FMJ through it without issue before I consider it broken in. Before I will consider it EDC ready I like to send 100 rounds of my defense ammo of choice through it with no malfunctions.

I learned today that this pistol is not ready for EDC or it just doesn’t like the ammo I chose. First 2 rounds stove piped followed by 96 rounds that had no issue but the last two failed to fully cycle the weapon. I will need to change ammo brand and put another 100 down range before I can say this weapon will be EDC ready.

BTW I was using Federal Hydrashock Deep 135grain 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I just got home from the range breaking in a new pistol. I like to put 1000 rounds FMJ through it without issue before I consider it broken in. Before I will consider it EDC ready I like to send 100 rounds of my defense ammo of choice through it with no malfunctions.

I learned today that this pistol is not ready for EDC or it just doesn’t like the ammo I chose. First 2 rounds stove piped followed by 96 rounds that had no issue but the last two failed to fully cycle the weapon. I will need to change ammo brand and put another 100 down range before I can say this weapon will be EDC ready.

BTW I was using Federal Hydrashock Deep 135grain 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

What gun were you using?

Also, what range ammo where you using and what weight?

Glock 43 and range ammo was brass case federal 115 grain.

That’s weird, I’ve always heard of glock’s taking whatever you put through them without issue.

May have to drop down to 115 grain or 124 grain.

However, you might consider those 150 grain federal premium hst compacts that are made for compact-sized pistols with barrels shorter than three inches.

I have a little single-stack ruger lc9s 9 mill that’s pretty much the same thing that never jammed on those 150’s. Matter of fact, it’s never jammed on me on anything as of yet and I’ve shot plenty of 124’s and 115’s. Never tried anything 135, tho.

That’s weird, I’ve always heard of glock’s taking whatever you put through them without issue.

May have to drop down to 115 grain or 124 grain.

However, you might consider those 150 grain federal premium hst compacts that are made for compact-sized pistols with barrels shorter than three inches.

I have a little single-stack ruger lc9s 9 mill that’s pretty much the same thing that never jammed on those 150’s. Matter of fact, it’s never jammed on me on anything as of yet and I’ve shot plenty of 124’s and 115’s. Never tried anything 135, tho.

I’m going to give these another shot as I’ve got another 100 rounds in the safe. If it puts them out without issue I’ll just blame it on the gun being filthy and dry. I will definitely consider the 150s you mentioned. Appreciate the advice.

FWIW we have 2 G43s (his and hers) and the first one (mine) seems to like anything I throw at it but this one is just as finicky as the woman who will carry it [emoji23]

I’m going to give these another shot as I’ve got another 100 rounds in the safe. If it puts them out without issue I’ll just blame it on the gun being filthy and dry. I will definitely consider the 150s you mentioned. Appreciate the advice.
That could very well be it.

Yeah, you’ll have to read up on those 150 compacts. Supposedly the heavier bullet in conjunction with the (I believe) the quicker burning powder, is supposed to be ideal for shorter barrels, and to help reduce muzzle flash...

FWIW we have 2 G43s (his and hers) and the first one (mine) seems to like anything I throw at it but this one is just as finicky as the woman who will carry it [emoji23]

That may be....[emoji41]

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back