new or renew?

billsliv

I had my NV Concealed Firearms Permit from 04/1999-01/2004. Unfortunately, I had let it lapse. Do I have to take another class? I have two different firearms I'd like to put on the permit, but they are the same style as the first two (1911's, full size and officer's size). If I don't have to take another class, do I have to qualify with the new firearms?

The way I read the NRS is that if I apply for a new permit, I just have to qualify with the new firearms. But it is not real clear to me.

Thanks,
Bill S.

I believe you must start over to get another permit.

The officer who processed the paperwork on my permit told me pistols are make and model. I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II on my permit. I cannot carry a Kimber of a different model, or another pistol with the same characteristics (Colt Defender, for example).

Thanks for the reply. And that's what I had planned on doing till I decided to read the law. Now to make the time for another class.

I believe you must start over to get another permit.

The officer who processed the paperwork on my permit told me pistols are make and model. I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II on my permit. I cannot carry a Kimber of a different model, or another pistol with the same characteristics (Colt Defender, for example).

Serial number I can sorta understand. It just seems kinda dumb on the models. I've had 1911's for 20 years. I had 2 Colts, a full size and an officers on my old permit. Now I have a full size Kimber and an officers clone. They all function identically! Sorta like taking a driving test in a Ford but then decide to drive a Chevy.

Your statement is along the lines of 'preaching to the choir' where I'm concerned. I bought the Kimber as a lighter weight replacement for a Combat Commander I've carried for years. Why I can't carry any 1911 type pistol just doesn't make sense to me. At least NV now recognizes 'revolver' instead of make and model for that too.

Serial number I can sorta understand. It just seems kinda dumb on the models. I've had 1911's for 20 years. I had 2 Colts, a full size and an officers on my old permit. Now I have a full size Kimber and an officers clone. They all function identically! Sorta like taking a driving test in a Ford but then decide to drive a Chevy.

Just read the new law as enacted. It states if you fail to apply for renewal on or before the expiration, you must pay an additional fee of 15.00. The renewal fee is 25.00. However, they do not define any length of time for late, so I imagine it will be interpreted differently by each sheriff. Also, you must take a approved renewal course.
Semi-autos are listed by make, model and caliber, revolvers-a simple yes or no.

Renewal process and my two cents...

Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Association has an administrative ruling that all instruction and qualification must take place within calendar year of applying for your initial or renewal CFP. The NSCA has also adopted the administrative procedures on when you have to take the full class again (renewal over 120 days after expiration).

Bottom line is that if it's not outlined specifically by the NRS, the NSCA decides how to do it. Until the Nevada legislature puts tighter reins and addresses these ambiguities in the NRS, NSCA has carte blanche on issuance and training requirements of NV CFPs. They can also veto a State being put on the recognition list.

The renewal class consists of four hours which consists primarily of law updates. The initial eight hours which includes firearm safety plus the four hour renewal class. You must qualify with every specific semi-auto pistol you want on your NV CFP and any revolver if you want to be authorized for revolvers. Frank Adams, NSCA Executive Director, has stated in the NSCA CCW meeting that if you have a pre SB237 CFP and have a revolver in it, you may carry any revolver, a reverse grandfathering. Frank Adams has also stated in this meeting that qualification is specified to make, model and caliber. His exact words were if you qualify with a Beretta 92F, you can carry any Beretta 92F on a NV CFP.

One thing that does not sit well with me are firearms that are substantially similar (i.e. S&W 908, 908S, 3913, 3914, 3913NL and 3913LS). If you know your S&W firearms, it's the same basic firearm; single stack magazine with a native 8 + 1 capacity, 3.5" barrel, 9mm, alloy frame, blued or stainless finish depending on the model number, slide mounted safety/decocking lever with minor variations in the how the slide and frame are machined. Under the letter of the NRS, I can get charged with a felony if I'm not carrying the exact model number.

One issue that has not been addressed is carrying of derringers. Some CCW holders like carrying derringers or having them on their NV CFP. Persons legally carrying on an out of State CCW can legally carry a derringer or other handgun that's outside of the class of a revolver or semi-auto pistol. Nevada residents under the letter of the CCW statute cannot qualify for them.

Since we have recognition of two popular States that issue to non-residents in NV. I don't recommend getting a NV CFP unless you follow under one of the following criteria;

• You maintain a part time residence in NV and intend to buy firearms in NV during that time frame.
  • You're moving to NV.

If you don't fall under one of those two, CCW here on a FL or a UT. It's not worth the hassle to get a NV CFP.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back