New Mexico Drops Virginia and Florida Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreements

BIGJOHN621:

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. No need to be insulting. Don't be a moron!

(how does it feel?)

30tjgna_th.jpg
Good thing I have no desire to go to New Mexico.
nlq3dh_th.jpg

Funny thing. Florida (Floriduh) still lists New Mexico on its reciprocity list. Also couldn't find if NM is liberal controlled or conservative controlled. Didn't see any political party affiliations on the governors web site. Strange.

strange

like i wrote yesturday i contacted the fla dept of licencing & they informed me that this news to them & furthermore on there webpage no changes have been made & what im hearing as well as my gut tells me this so called requirments dont meet new mexico's is b.s this has become political since that unfortunate situation that occured in orlando,fla So that means everyone has to pay the price that has a fla ccw i cant speak for Va maybe N.M didnt want to single out fla ccw holders but ladies & gents explain to me y is it that VA reconizes NM??? & Also y is it that only certain ccw websites are informing this new law.. i apologize if anyone is offended with my theory with that shooting incedent in fla but then someone please enlighten me on this issue...

dirty: If you want to carry in NM, get an AZ permit. I got one a few months ago just to add to my collection, and the process was straightforward and efficient.

My philosophy is to obtain every permit available, even if it simply duplicates states you already have. In fact, my VA, NH, FL, and PA permits are technically superfluous, but they're insurance against states' whimsical changes in policy.

Of course, you don't apply to states that will turn you down certainly (NJ, NY, MD) or even probably (MA, RI).

New Mexico's governor is Republican, but the legislature is very, very liberal and Democrat. The shooting in Orlando has nothing to do with the decisions on reciprocity. NM has a 15 hour course with the only requirement is to shoot 25 rounds at distances of 3 yards and 7 yards. Each shot is worth 4 points and you must score 72 or better to qualify. There is no written test. NM feels that other states training doesn't "measure" up to the standards of New Mexico. For better or worse, that's the way it is!

It's just frustraing, my friend that sent in for his Florida CCW with me had gotten a Utah CCW a few years ago, and low and behold a couple weeks later NM didn't recognize that either. Must be his fault, HAHA. Well, Florida does require proof of training, they do allow us military folks to prove that we are actually military and that satisfies the requirement, and I think all CCW's should be that way, maybe I'm just selfish, but servign 16 years I think that should qualify as training. It also sucks because what good does shooting 25 rounds at 3 and 7 yards do? There's no requirement to train on shooting from concealment or anything else useful, I would hope that gun owners and CCWers would practice with they carry weapon of choice, seems that would be a part of the lifestyle for a CCWer...Looks like I'll just be getting a NM permit, not sure what my future holds,probably stay in NM after I'm done with the military, might as well get a NM CCW and be done with it and hope they do away with the 2 year recert...:(

well folks fl dept of licencing has updated there list NM made the move to drop fla & VA but i still stand my ground on the reason y it happenned.......

I am very sorry we don't honor those states. I would prefer you be able to carry as you wish here. AT LEAST though, you can open carry fully loaded and carry concealed in your vehicle without a permit so you can go about here protected.

@brcombs: What's the target at 3 yards?

When you say the NM legislature is liberal, are you talking about New York/San Francisco liberal, or just liberal for the Southwest?

Here in Alabama, there are people who call themselves "liberal" who would be right of center in New Jersey.

@brcombs: What's the target at 3 yards?

When you say the NM legislature is liberal, are you talking about New York/San Francisco liberal, or just liberal for the Southwest?

Here in Alabama, there are people who call themselves "liberal" who would be right of center in New Jersey.

They are what we call "Santa Fe" liberals...big on entitlements, government needs to take care of you because you don't know how to!!!
The target size for qualifying is 18" x 12". I personally feel that if you can't score over 90% you don't need to be carrying a gun yet!!

NM has ALWAYS had a "same or substantially similar" requirement in the CHL statute.

I do not know why Fla. and some other states were originally recognized by NM.

I do know that the "Powers that be" are re-examining the list of states that NM recognizes and removing those that were erroniously recognized in the first place. It has absolutely nothing to do with the current state of affairs in Fla. In fact the process to drop Fla. started well before that unfortunate occurance.

Fla. law requires a written agreement with other states. Since NM has determined that Fla. is not the"same or similar they got the axe.

The same for Va. and Utah. Since Az. has all but eliminated a requirement (It used to be 16 hours) Az. may be next. As much as many of us do not like it, NM is simply self-correcting a violation of law that has existed for a number of years.

Well, as earlier posters predicted, NM has tossed more states from its list of permits it honors: MT, SC, KY, AK, and WY.

Too bad, since the general trend is for states to expand their list of honored permits.

And as several posters on this thread said would happen, NM has now dropped AZ.

Too bad. My dad loved to vacation at Ghost Ranch, and I have friends in Albuquerque.

As an old VA boy in NC, I have inquired about the non-resident permit out of curiosity. Fingerprints are required, but no qualification, if the home state permit did require range Q. Florida extended their permits from 5 to 7 years, prompting several states to drop reciprocity, since their permits were valid for 5 years. I think 5 years is the mean average and by extending theirs, FL has been dropped. Is it true Utah does not require qualification?
Stay safe.

Found this on the NM dps web site:
Texas: Link Removed Concealed carry requirements are not substantially similar to New Mexico or at least as stringent, so Texas is not recognized by NM. Contact Texas officials to determine if your NM CC license is recognized there.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back