New Member seeks Advice on CCW Application Process

race2c

Hello,

I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place, but am seeking some advice in a CCW application.

A little background....my home is in cental IL, where no type of CCW license is allowed, but I go to college in OK, frequent the state of IN and travel through the state of MO.

What would be my best bet in applying for Non-Resident CCWs that would allow me to carry in the greatest number of states (most importantly IN, OK and MO)? I understand that would have to follow the given states statutes and such, but would be my best overall approach in the situation at hand.

Thanks in advance,

Cam

First let me say welcome to USA Carry! As for non-resident permits Florida, Utah, or Arizona would all be good choices for your needs. I would probably go with Florida or Utah since Arizona requires the training to be taken in the state. Good luck.

It just so happens that the three states you mentioned being in frequently are all states that honor CCW permits from every state. That being said, you probably want to get a permit from either Florida or Utah; I would recommend FL, since Utah requires training from a Utah certified instructor, while Florida does not.

One little prerequisite....

Most states that issue non-resident CCW permits require that an individual has a permit from their own state, which has been a problem in the past for residents of NH and AK, both of which require no permit to carry concealed in the state. In fact, I think that is the very reason that NH established a CC permit even though it is not required to carry in their own state.

If I were you, I would establish an address off campus in OK and simply move my residency. Though the school is not likely to give you a break considering you applied as an out of state student, you would probably have a smaller tax liability in OK, not to mention lower car insurance, CCW, etc.

Good luck!

FL is probably your best bet. The license is good for 7 years, and it's "Concealed Weapons License" meaning that you're not limited to firearms. You can submit the application through the mail, so you don't need to travel to FL to get the license. Contrary to a previous post, many states issue permits/licenses to citizens who don't have a permit from their home state. Here in PRHI, the policy is "won't issue", yet I have permits from 4 different states.

PM me if you need further info.

gf

Here's what I preach as a CCW holder and instructor;

• 21 or over; get your (declared) State of residency if possible, UT, NH, FL (if needed) then any additional States you may need.
  • 18 to under 21; your (declared) State of residency, if possible (if they issue at 18), ND first then NH.
    When you turn 21, apply for UT and FL and let your ND lapse as you will no longer need it. Your ND training should suffice for FL. You will need a training affidavit or certificate from the ND instructor. The ND instructor should be certified on some national level or POST certified.
IN, MO and OK are we honor all States with no age restriction extended to recognized or reciprocal States; you're good on any valid CCW.

The FL license is only valid for weapons other than firearms in FL and other States where you can carry weapons other than firearms such as MO. In States such as NV, UT and VA, it's for concealable firearms only carrying anything else will range from a misdemeanor to a felony so do your due diligence.

I may be in Ft Wayne IN next month, PM me if you might be interested in a combined FL/UT or a ND class in that area while I am there.

Last edited:
Here's what I preach as a CCW holder and instructor; get your (declared) State of residency if possible, UT, NH, FL (if needed) then any additional States you may need.

IN, MO and OK are we honor all States, you're good on any valid CCW there.

The FL license is only valid for weapons other than firearms in FL and other States where you can carry weapons such as MO. In States such as NV, UT and VA, it's for concealable handguns only.
I may be in Ft Wayne IN next month, PM me if you might be interested in a combined FL/UT class in that area while I am there.

Thanks for clarifying. Forgot to clarify in my previous post.

gf

Most states that issue non-resident CCW permits require that an individual has a permit from their own state, which has been a problem in the past for residents of NH and AK, both of which require no permit to carry concealed in the state. In fact, I think that is the very reason that NH established a CC permit even though it is not required to carry in their own state.
Now it's a requirement to have a NH license whether you're a resident or not. Whether or not NH was like VT at one time I don't know. There are only two States that require you to have your declared State of residency MA and PA. It use to be a requirement of NH but that was removed over 4 years ago now it's like CT where you can apply if you possess any CCW. All other States except for CT and MA do not have any prerequisite that a non-resident applicant possess any CCW.

For CT, you need to have any State first. There is a ruling on that issue from the CT BFPE after a CT SP denial was appealed by a NJ resident. The hearing lasted maybe three minutes; CT SP was blatantly applying their own interpretation to CT law in that denial.
If I were you, I would establish an address off campus in OK and simply move my residency. Though the school is not likely to give you a break considering you applied as an out of state student, you would probably have a smaller tax liability in OK, not to mention lower car insurance, CCW, etc.
That I do agree with. However it may not be feasible considering his financial aide, scholarship(s), housing, his and his parents' tax situation.

Last edited:
I had an old age blonde moment. I forgot about our good friend Sheriff Denny Nau in Centre County PA. You can apply for a PA LTC over the mail, there is no training or fingerprinting requirement. Here's the link to the application.

PA will not give you the broadest coverage nationwide but it will pretty quickly solve your immediate issue of being able to carry in IN, MO and OK until you can get UT, FL and NH. It's also an economical solution since you're in college and money probably being tight. You can use PA to apply for NH; both States have no training or fingerprinting requirement. PA only requires a resident CCW if your State has a CCW endorsement, license or permit law; IL does not so you can get a PA LTC by just applying.

I do encourage you if you cannot afford formal instruction that you at least read as many training resources as you can on justifiable use of force. Fortunately castle doctrine and stand your ground laws are similar in IN, MO and OK. Also brush up on the prohibited areas, they do vary between those States fortunately not greatly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone.

A bit of clarification.....I am 21 years of age. I also would like to get the formal training done, rather than just being an "average" citizen with the ability to carry.

The information that has been given to me from above has lead me to conduct the following actions:

• Apply for PA LTC, being they do not require formal training or a residency of the state. Also because IL does not allow carrying of any type.
  • Use the PA LTC, to apply for NH
  • Eventually get formal training to acquire the FL CCW.

Does this sound about right?

netentity--You have a PM

Cam

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone.

A bit of clarification.....I am 21 years of age. I also would like to get the formal training done, rather than just being an "average" citizen with the ability to carry.

The information that has been given to me from above has lead me to conduct the following actions:

• Apply for PA LTC, being they do not require formal training or a residency of the state. Also because IL does not allow carrying of any type.
  • Use the PA LTC, to apply for NH
  • Eventually get formal training to acquire the FL CCW.
Does this sound about right?
I would opt for an NRA certified instructor that is also UT certified so you can do both FL and UT for the same class. The instruction being given an NRA certified instructor will get your FL. Make sure the instructor gives you a certificate or affidavit of training with their NRA instructor number or FL may kick it back. If you've taken a hunter safety course, FL will also accept that. If you are military, FL will also accept your DD-214 as proof of training. The UT certified instruction will get you obviously UT.
netentity--You have a PM
You have a PM back.

I would opt for an NRA certified instructor that is also UT certified so you can do both FL and UT for the same class. The instruction being given an NRA certified instructor will get your FL. Make sure the instructor gives you a certificate or affidavit of training with their NRA instructor number or FL may kick it back. If you've taken a hunter safety course, FL will also accept that. If you are military, FL will also accept your DD-214 as proof of training. The UT certified instruction will get you obviously UT.

You have a PM back.

I understand.

When it comes to the formal training for UT/FL, I would need to find an instructor that is NRA certified, as well as, being UT certified. When it comes to a hunter safety class, is that considered ANY state/DNR/etc hunter safety class?

In reference to the PM, thats unfortunate the times you will be in the area are during the week. If they were during the weekend, I would be there.

Another quick question, I found this on the PA website:
Special Note: Missouri is now considered an issuing State, therefore it is mandatory that Missouri residents obtain a license to carry from Missouri and include a photo copy with the application.

Does this mean to CCW in MO, I would need to acquire a MO CCW or would they still honor PA CCW license?

I understand.

When it comes to the formal training for UT/FL, I would need to find an instructor that is NRA certified, as well as, being UT certified. When it comes to a hunter safety class, is that considered ANY state/DNR/etc hunter safety class?
Yes. The relevant Florida statute is Link Removed which is;

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
In reference to the PM, thats unfortunate the times you will be in the area are during the week. If they were during the weekend, I would be there.
Next time perhaps. I take traveling instructor requests. If there's enough interest to justify my expenses then I schedule a block of mobile classes.
Another quick question, I found this on the PA website:

Does this mean to CCW in MO, I would need to acquire a MO CCW or would they still honor PA CCW license?
They would honor your PA LTC. It means if you are a MO resident you must have a MO CCW endorsement to apply for a non-resident PA LTC. MO only issues to residents but they are a we honor all State for everyone including residents. You don't need a MO CCW to CCW in MO. The only caveat is you need a MO CCW to be exempt from the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act for schools in MO.

Be safe.

Last edited:
Thank you very much with all of your help.

If you do have any other interests in another possible CCW classes, I would be willing to do it within a given distance and dates. As long as you keep my name as an interested individual.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back