New member looking for some opinions.

shawn_248

I've lived in sc my entire life. I took my cwp class last week and passed with a 100 and sent my application in yesterday. My only problem is I have a simple assault charge from when I was 16. ( I'm 24 now ) I called sled and she said it was expunged but was unable to tell me if if would affect me getting a cwp. I also called my county sheriff's dept and was told they don't release juvenile records. I know sled can probably see expunged records so I was wondering if anyone thinks I'll have any problems. Thank you.

I've lived in sc my entire life. I took my cwp class last week and passed with a 100 and sent my application in yesterday. My only problem is I have a simple assault charge from when I was 16. ( I'm 24 now ) I called sled and she said it was expunged but was unable to tell me if if would affect me getting a cwp. I also called my county sheriff's dept and was told they don't release juvenile records. I know sled can probably see expunged records so I was wondering if anyone thinks I'll have any problems. Thank you.
Yes, you do have a problem. It started when you called SLED and alerted them to the fact that you had an assault charge on your juvenile record. Until you did that they had no way of knowing. Now, they can't hold that against you because it is a juvenile charge but they will almost certainly give everything they can look at greater scrutiny. With your help your CWP has just gone from shall issue to hopefully it'll issue.

Sometimes the best thing you can say is nothing at all...

Well she told me it was expunged when she pulled up my record so I'm positive they could've seen it anyway... After reading the laws last night on sleds website 100 times I'm sure I'll be fine. Simple assault technically isn't a crime of violence in sc. Plus I never actually hit anyone or anything. Just what I was charged with for some reason. And I really a misdemeanor is only a disqualifier if the max sentence is over 1 year and simple assault has a max of 30 days.

Well she told me it was expunged when she pulled up my record so I'm positive they could've seen it anyway... After reading the laws last night on sleds website 100 times I'm sure I'll be fine. Simple assault technically isn't a crime of violence in sc. Plus I never actually hit anyone or anything. Just what I was charged with for some reason. And I really a misdemeanor is only a disqualifier if the max sentence is over 1 year and simple assault has a max of 30 days.

If you want opinions you came to the right place. Frankly I ran out of opinions last week so all I can say is good luck. Your asking a question meant for a soothsayer with a new crystal ball. Its kind a like you asking us if you will contract rabies because a dog bit you. We cannot divine what may be in the minds of folks that have control over you. Being you are only 24 I can understand your need to have someone tell you what you want to hear. "Don't worry about a thing, you will get your permit in the mail tomorrow"...see what I mean. We do not know. These feelings you are having are what is commonly referred to as growing pains. Don't worry about what hasn't happened.

If you can purchase a weapon from a gun shop (Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer) then you can get you permit.

If you can purchase a weapon from a gun shop (Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer) then you can get you permit.

Not entirely true. Take Virginia for instance...if you get a DUI you can still buy a firearm but you won't get a permit for 5 years. If you get charged with any misdemeanor it will take 2 years before you get a permit...buy all the firearms you want just don't carry concealed.

This is a South Carolina sub-forum and he has applied for a South Carolina CWP.

Simple assault in South Carolina is 3rd degree assault a misdemeanor.
Conviction was as a juvenile, records sealed now that he is an adult.
HP-HOBO is right, you could have created a problem.
Your record was a juvenile misdemeanor, leave it alone.
But it appeared SLED and Sheriff did the right thing, left it as a juvenile record.

Only exception I could see if it is related to domestic violence.

Let us know

It wasn't domestic violence or anything. I think I'll be fine. Just have to wait and see. I turned in my application nov. 18 so I've probably got a couple more months to wait.

With an assault conviction in the mix, i would be surprised if you get a CCP. It is a pretty clean bunch that gets accepted and they use any excuse to reject people.

Well I'm hoping that since it's an expunged juvenile record it won't have any effect. Plus I never actually put my hands on anybody in a violent way. I think worst case scenario I'll have to sit down and talk with the sheriff one on one. That was my one and only run in with the law.

Well I'm hoping that since it's an expunged juvenile record it won't have any effect. Plus I never actually put my hands on anybody in a violent way. I think worst case scenario I'll have to sit down and talk with the sheriff one on one. That was my one and only run in with the law.
What county are you in?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back