New legislation filed today in SC - No CWP Required :)

Danno

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- A South Carolina House member is filing a bill to allow residents to carry weapons without a permit.

Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dan Cooper of Piedmont said Tuesday he has filed legislation to allow any law-abiding citizen to carry a weapon.

The Republican says concealed weapons permit laws and other restrictions make it less likely people who obey the law will be armed and does nothing to disarm people willing to break the law.

Tuesday is the first day House members can file new bills for the legislative session that starts Jan. 13.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Link Removed

I personally sent a note to Dan Cooper on his Link Removed, telling him how happy I was for this, and that I was supporting him 100%.

I like it. I hope it gets support. Now if they would get rid of not being able to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol!

Last edited:
For sure! I don't drink personally, but I do eat at restaurants that serve it... not that often, but still, it's a pain.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- A South Carolina House member is filing a bill to allow residents to carry weapons without a permit.

Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dan Cooper of Piedmont said Tuesday he has filed legislation to allow any law-abiding citizen to carry a weapon.

The Republican says concealed weapons permit laws and other restrictions make it less likely people who obey the law will be armed and does nothing to disarm people willing to break the law.

Tuesday is the first day House members can file new bills for the legislative session that starts Jan. 13.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Link Removed

I personally sent a note to Dan Cooper on his Link Removed, telling him how happy I was for this, and that I was supporting him 100%.

You would have to have a permit to conceal carry per this bill, but not to open carry

that's great! We need open carry in this state... I would not do it often but think it would be a good thing... almost as good as the carry in restaurants.... the simple solution to the alcohol problem is to make it illegal to carry while intoxicated.

I'm pretty sure open carry won't float this time...but at least it will be entertaining to read / hear some of the idiotic statements some of our reps will make.

Open carry should be tolerated in very rural areas. Personally, I feel that carrying openly in populated areas without a badge (as a LEO) is intimidating to the public, and in some ways violates their inalienable rights to feeling safe and secure in a public, social environment. Open carry is a sensitive issue when comes populated areas; bystanders get intimidated or suspicious, this in turn makes for a very unhappy law enforcement. Plus, with the current political climate, its best not to fly in the face of those Utopian Liberals. And last but not least, there cannot be enough said about the value of a concealed firearm. I have never seen a successful tactical situation that wasn't heavily dependent the element of surprise.

Last edited:
Personally, I feel that carrying openly in populated areas without a badge (as a LEO) is intimidating to the public, and in some ways violates their inalienable rights to feeling safe and secure in a public, social environment

Where does it say anyone has an "inalienable right to feel safe and secure"? That's a personal decision and problem. Some people wouldn't feel safe and secure with squad of police and special forces.

Where does it say anyone has an "inalienable right to feel safe and secure"? That's a personal decision and problem. Some people wouldn't feel safe and secure with squad of police and special forces.
Good question, I've never heard that before. I think that is a Brady bunch creed!:wink:

I have to kind of agree with that post to a point... I was thinking about this open carry issue this weekend while checking out at Publix and realized that open carry could back fire on us. What might happen is sheeple might take offense at folks open carrying and then a lot of businesses that don't right now might start posting signs.... what I would really wish for over open carry is the ability to carry concealed everywhere including public property and buildings both state and federal. I think it is an insult that 'they' are allowed to ban us from most of these places.

I have to kind of agree with that post to a point... I was thinking about this open carry issue this weekend while checking out at Publix and realized that open carry could back fire on us. What might happen is sheeple might take offense at folks open carrying and then a lot of businesses that don't right now might start posting signs.... what I would really wish for over open carry is the ability to carry concealed everywhere including public property and buildings both state and federal. I think it is an insult that 'they' are allowed to ban us from most of these places.

The right to keep and bear arms is just that; what works best for some might not be what works best for others. I have been in plenty of disagreements with the guys over on opencarry.org who'll blow these arguments against open carry right out of the water.

On the face of it I would agree... folks should be allowed to open carry. And as I've stated, I'm in favor of it. I'm just looking at it from the practical standpoint of how it will effect us all if it is actually passed one day here in in S.C.

the funny thing is I grew up here in rural S.C. open carrying from about the age of 10 to 18... now figure out how politically uncorrect that was by todays standards?

If it passes, IlL open carry some. Not always though so as to not scare the sheeple. Not that I care about what they think though. Ill just switch it up now and then. Im actually more concerned with changes made to the law so I can eat at at Applebees or whatever without having to unarm. Id also like to pick up my kid at school and not be made a criminal.

Thanks to 340 for turning me on to this place.

Last edited:
I'm all for Open Carry. The main benefit is you wouldn't have to worry about printing or accidentally showing your firearm. You couldn't be charged for brandishing a weapon unless actually drew the firearm. It would take some time but the public would get use to it. States that have Open Carry actually have very few problems and if it's a problem in an area or business then Conceal Carry there. It would be a lesser infringement on our 2A rights.

As I just read the bill I didnt see where the "No Concealed Weapons" sign related to the size and nature of the sign. Ill have to ask about that. I hope its not reading that ANY sign saying that would be acceptable.

I think in regards to the restaurants, in the CWP class I just took at Allen, there is talk that the legislature is trying to define "restaurant" by the percentage of alcohol they serve vs. food. So say a restaurant derives 70% of its profit from food, then you can carry concealed in there. If they derive 70% of their profit from alcohol, then that would be defined as a bar or whatever & you could not carry there. Those percentage's are not exact numbers, I just used them for illustrative purposes. I think this could be a good way to allow us to carry in a "restaurant".

Most States that have restaurant carry use the 51% rule. 51% food ok to carry, 51% alcohol not ok to carry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back