new law changes on nfa

apguns

Everybody I have been reading on here about a month now I have seen a lot of talk about changing laws or bring it up about nfa weapons but recently my grandfather passed away and left me a smg I called atf to see what I had to do to legally register it the man on the phone said well nobody has asked me that so as I paused on the phone I asked him after that comment how my weapons are on the street that know body knows about he said let me call you back with a answer a month went by nobody called me that's when I got in touch with the nfa. And they explained to me what to do so I am not sure they not what to do on the laws now.

I thought if a direct relative (parents etc.) willed you an NFA item that already had the NFA Tax Stamp paid, it the tax stamp didn't need to be repaid upon inheritance.

If the item was unregistered, i.e. tax stamp not paid, then you might be SOL.

"The firearms may be transferred on a tax-exempt basis to a lawful heir. The executor would apply on ATF Form 5, Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of a Firearm, for a tax-exempt transfer to a lawful heir. A lawful heir is anyone named in the decedent’s will or, in the absence of a will, anyone entitled to inherit under the laws of the State in which the decedent last resided. NFA firearms may be transferred directly interstate to a beneficiary of the estate. When a firearm is being transferred to an individual heir, his or her fingerprints on FBI Forms FD-258 must accompany the transfer application. However, if any Federal, State or local law prohibits the heir from receiving or possessing the firearm, ATF will not approve the application."

taken from Transfers of National Firearms Act Firearms in Decedents’ Estates

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back