New Kimber Ultra Carry owner. Initial Experiences.

CDW4ME

I recently purchased a new Kimber Ultra Carry II with night sights.
I installed some Pachymar grips to cover the slick front strap.

The first 75 rounds were uneventful, 50 rounds of S&B 230 gr. ball and 25 rounds of Ranger T. I used two different factory Kimber magazines.

Last Saturday was session #2.
After about 25 rounds of 230 gr. S&B ball the last round in the magazine went nose up against the barrel hood. I failed to notice which magazine I was using when the malfunction happened.
After about 25 more rounds same thing with the last round in the magazine and the nose of the bullet going into the barrel hood. However, this time I culled the offending magazine and got my two magazines that have Wislon spring & follower kits. Then, I proceeded to shoot more S&B until I had a failure to completely go into battery, again it was the last round in magazine but with the other factory mag. Now I culled the other factory magazine and proceed with the two Wilson upgraded magazines. The pistol was at the 200 round count at this point.

The only malfunctions were with the factory magazines and S&B 230 ball.

Next, I shot 100 rounds of Winchester 230 FMJ, 100 rounds of my 230 gr. FMJ reloads, 25 Gold Dots, 20 Remington 230 JHP, and 50 Ranger T without malfunction. So, using the Wilson upgraded magazines I had zero malfunctions for 250+ rounds.

At this point of my experience, I've shot nearly 400 rounds in one day; which is something I don't think I've done before, at least not in the last 16 years.

Yes, I am impaitent, I wanted to get the "break in" over with and determine if this pistol was reliable. After 250+ rounds without a problem I'm satisfied. The initial problems were magazine related (or S&B ball related) and those components are not going to be utilized for SD.

I did clean the pistol after the first 75 rounds, after shooting each subsequent 100 rounds and again when I was finished.

Here are some chronograph results, all 230 gr. ammo:
(average for 5 shots)
S&B @ 746 fps
Winchester Ranger T @ 814 fps
Gold Dot @ 764 fps
Winchester FMJ @ 745 fps
Remington JHP @ 741 fps
My FMJ reloads @ 770 fps

I used a timer to obatin an average 2nd shot time. My "test" is a target with a 6'' circle plastered on it 6 yards away (18 feet). I count the time if both shots land on the 6'' circle. After 15 "qualifying" events my average 2nd shot time with the Ultra using 230 gr. ammunition was .27 sec, which I consider an excellent performance. I've gotten faster with those "double taps", after some practice, compared to when I first got the timer. :wink:

The difference in the factory Kimber magazine follower and the Wilson is easily seen in the photo.

P.S. I like it. :biggrin:

Great range report,

Regarding the Kimber mags, are you going to give them the Wilson mag upgrade? I am just wondering if the same failures continue. I would also wonder if after a few hunderd round more if the failures continue with the mags in the origianal configuration.

Good on ya for taking the time to work through the mag problems instead of ranting about Kimber. All to often we see people blame the gun instead of mags or ammo and taking the time to work though the problem.

The Kimber is a great pistol. Enjoy!

Steve

You can't go wrong with a Kimber Ultra Carry. I've had mine for several years and it's my primary carry weapon. Reliable and accurate, it's a great gun.

You can't go wrong with a Kimber Ultra Carry. I've had mine for several years and it's my primary carry weapon. Reliable and accurate, it's a great gun.

My Ultra Carry has been an excellent pistol , since getting the Wilson mags for it.

Great range report,

Regarding the Kimber mags, are you going to give them the Wilson mag upgrade? I am just wondering if the same failures continue. I would also wonder if after a few hunderd round more if the failures continue with the mags in the origianal configuration.

Good on ya for taking the time to work through the mag problems instead of ranting about Kimber. All to often we see people blame the gun instead of mags or ammo and taking the time to work though the problem.

The Kimber is a great pistol. Enjoy!

Steve

Yes, I'm going to "upgrade" the Kimber mags with a Wilson spring & follower kit since that seems to be what works.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back