New Jersey Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

New Jersey sucks. The bad guys know we can't carry, which is why the crime rate is so high. We will never be allowed to carry in NJ.

I really hate it here and want to move to PA. I ride my motorcycle in PA and can carry in PA, and almost every other state.

New Hampshire was the best, it only took 14 days from door to door.

You don't think the bill proposed in Nov or the current lawsuit will do anything to lessen the ccw restrictions?

if you read the brief submitted by the AG you'll see the mindset in place and if the judge thinks like her nothing will change....one statement she wrote;
if we allow citizens to carry violent gun crimes will increase, while some may carry for protection others will use them to committ crime...
to me that says even if you pass a background check you cant be trusted
imo...even if the justifiable part was removed nj is still a "may issue"state, they will continue to deny on public safety reasons,which by itself is constitutional if you apply that argument to the 1st amendment ..but a cleo can deny the FID for public safety even though scotus said we have a right to firearms ..to what level do you determine public safety?..the only way to get true shall issue in nj is through legislation..if this went to the scotus; the court would have to say every state is to be shall issue..does anyone see that happening?? i dont....if it did I could see decades of arguments over the regulation and restrictions or a federal law regulating the carry of handguns and that would be a cold day in .......it has to come from the state level not the court....until nj rids itself of liberal dems nothing will change......

if you read the brief submitted by the AG you'll see the mindset in place and if the judge thinks like her nothing will change....one statement she wrote;
if we allow citizens to carry violent gun crimes will increase, while some may carry for protection others will use them to committ crime...
to me that says even if you pass a background check you cant be trusted
imo...even if the justifiable part was removed nj is still a "may issue"state, they will continue to deny on public safety reasons,which by itself is constitutional if you apply that argument to the 1st amendment ..but a cleo can deny the FID for public safety even though scotus said we have a right to firearms ..to what level do you determine public safety?..the only way to get true shall issue in nj is through legislation..if this went to the scotus; the court would have to say every state is to be shall issue..does anyone see that happening?? i dont....if it did I could see decades of arguments over the regulation and restrictions or a federal law regulating the carry of handguns and that would be a cold day in .......it has to come from the state level not the court....until nj rids itself of liberal dems nothing will change......

I think, that by word of law, NJ is Shall Issue...just with a justifiable need restriction.

2C:58-4. Permits to carry handguns
a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by section 2C:39-5e. One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit.

All permits to carry handguns shall expire 2 years from the date of issuance or, in the case of an employee of an armored car company, upon termination of his employment by the company occurring prior thereto whichever is earlier in time, and they may thereafter be renewed every 2 years in the same manner and subject to the same conditions as in the case of original applications.

b. Application forms. All applications for permits to carry handguns, and all applications for renewal of such permits, shall be made on the forms prescribed by the superintendent. Each application shall set forth the full name, date of birth, sex, residence, occupation, place of business or employment, and physical description of the applicant, and such other information as the superintendent may prescribe for the determination of the applicant's eligibility for a permit and for the proper enforcement of this chapter. The application shall be signed by the applicant under oath, and shall be indorsed by three reputable persons who have known the applicant for at least 3 years preceding the date of application, and who shall certify thereon that the applicant is a person of good moral character and behavior.

c. Investigation and approval. Each application shall in the first instance be submitted to the chief police officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides, or to the superintendent, (1) if the applicant is an employee of an armored car company, or (2) if there is no chief police officer in the municipality where the applicant resides, or (3) if the applicant does not reside in this State. The chief police officer, or the superintendent, as the case may be, shall cause the fingerprints of the applicant to be taken and compared with any and all records maintained by the municipality, the county in which it is located, the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification. He shall also determine and record a complete description of each handgun the applicant intends to carry.

No application shall be approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent unless the applicant demonstrates that he is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in 2C:58-3c., that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun. If the application is not approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent within 60 days of filing, it shall be deemed to have been approved, unless the applicant agrees to an extension of time in writing.

d. Issuance by Superior Court; fee. If the application has been approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent, as the case may be, the applicant shall forthwith present it to the Superior Court of the county in which the applicant resides, or to the Superior Court in any county where he intends to carry a handgun, in the case of a nonresident or employee of an armored car company. The court shall issue the permit to the applicant if, but only if, it is satisfied that the applicant is a person of good character who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in section 2C:58-3c., that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun. The court may at its discretion issue a limited-type permit which would restrict the applicant as to the types of handguns he may carry and where and for what purposes such handguns may be carried. At the time of issuance, the applicant shall pay to the county clerk of the county where the permit was issued a permit fee of $20.00.

That's what makes New Jersey different than places like Washington DC. Instead of having an outright ban which usually gets overturned by a higher court, they have vague and ambiguous laws on the books, but those laws are up to the interpretation of law enforcement as well as the legal system, NOT you! In New Jersey, you are (supposedly) allowed to transport a handgun, unloaded and separated (ammo), but you must be travelling directly to a place where the gun is legal/lawful to use. How do you prove you were directly going to the range? Even if you are pulled over in the range parking lot, in New Jersey, it is basically comes down to your word against the word of law enforcement, and guess who wins that one. Luck should not have to come into play here.

Brian Aitken was abused by the New Jersey legal system, and so was the individual who had his luggage/gun accidentially flown to Newark International Airport, after which he was charged with unlawful use of a handgun when he tried to retrieve it!

It's practically a fool-proof system, and it's wrong.

It'll be a cold day in Hell...

It's bad enough that I have to disarm myself of my rights when I visit that state, but it will surely be a cold day in Hell before I'd ever even CONSIDER living in New Jersey!

Well if senator Barbara Boxer has her way, we will ALL be in a NJ.
I received this from VCDL.

From YubaNet.com: Link Removed

By Sen. Barbara Boxer's office
January 22, 2011

Washington, D.C. ˚ U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) today announced that next week she will introduce the Common-Sense Concealed Firearms Act of 2011, which would require all states that allow residents to carry concealed weapons in public to have minimum standards for granting permits.

Senator Boxer said, "The tragic events in Tucson earlier this month are a reminder of why we need common-sense gun laws. This measure will establish reasonable permitting standards for Americans who wish to carry concealed firearms. According to a recent poll, more than 60 percent of respondents believe there should be a reasonable permitting process for those who wish to carry concealed firearms."

Senator Boxer's legislation would require all states that allow residents to carry concealed weapons to establish permitting processes that would include meaningful consultation with local law enforcement authorities to determine whether the permit applicant is worthy of the public trust and has shown good cause to carry a concealed firearm.

Currently, two states do not permit residents to carry concealed firearms, while three states, including Arizona, allow residents to carry concealed firearms in public without a permit. The other 45 states require residents to obtain permits to carry concealed firearms, but the majority of these states would not meet the standard set in this bill.

Senator Boxer plans to introduce the legislation when the Senate reconvenes next week.

its lawmakers like Boxer that want a comunist rule type of country..by removing individuality from the citizens and have us think and walk as one....her bill is crapola
many states recognize self defense as "good cause" and how does she propose to determine who or how you are worthy of public trust?.... if you pass a background check
thats should be enough to indicate trust..she just wants to disarm everybody without losing her job.....

its lawmakers like Boxer that want a communist rule type of country..by removing individuality from the citizens and have us think and walk as one....her bill is crapola
many states recognize self defense as "good cause" and how does she propose to determine who or how you are worthy of public trust?.... if you pass a background check
thats should be enough to indicate trust..she just wants to disarm everybody without losing her job.....

But I'm sure she would think that being a senator is "good cause" or else she has a paid contingent of armed security personnel for herself.
I would have more respect for her bill if is wanted uniform standards of qualification, like a drivers license, ...a background check, a written test, and a range/accuracy test.

Figures she's from California!

If the law-abiding citizens cannot carry, the only one that are carrying are the criminals making everyone of us fair game. It's BS and I cannot wait to leave this state, I guess that's why they call NJ the armpit of America.

Regarding the NJ gun laws - not true that the bad guys have open season on law abiding citizens, but LEO's have open season also on law abiding citizens. Time to get out of jersey and other eastern states with the exception of N.H. and VT.

Samlee,
Once the fire arm is in your house there is nothing they can do :biggrin:. Go to the local police department and request the paperwork for your firearms ID card and pistol permit (i think you can purchase/register up to 3 handguns per permit). Get printed, pay way too much money and wait a while and when you get the F.A. ID card and the pistol permits you can then register the handgun. You might have to go to a licensed dealer to have them verify the state transfer of the gun. I could be a little off on the pistol permit part but i know you have to get the stupid fire arms id card to have a handgun or long gun in NJ.:mad:

Samlee,
Once the fire arm is in your house there is nothing they can do :biggrin:. Go to the local police department and request the paperwork for your firearms ID card and pistol permit (i think you can purchase/register up to 3 handguns per permit). Get printed, pay way too much money and wait a while and when you get the F.A. ID card and the pistol permits you can then register the handgun. You might have to go to a licensed dealer to have them verify the state transfer of the gun. I could be a little off on the pistol permit part but i know you have to get the stupid fire arms id card to have a handgun or long gun in NJ.:mad:

yeah...a little off... :pleasantry:

In NJ, the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is needed to purchase a long gun or ammo. IIRC, it is NOT needed to own anything. The pistol permits...you can request up to 3 at a time...are needed to purchase pistols IN THE STATE OF NJ...not for registering pistols you move into the state with. There is no mandatory pistol registration...there is voluntary, but can't imagine why anybody would voluntarily register their guns with the state.

I've done most of my instructor level training in NJ. I routinely bring my gun from NYS to NJ. I lock the gun action, then lock the gun in its case, then lock the case to a hook in my trunk. Ammo (God forbid you have a hollowpoint) is locked in another container, also locked to a hook in my trunk. I always ensure I have my NYS CCW permit and documentation to prove I'm going to a class.

Sweatin' all the way. It's like a deoderant commercial... "BC1 used Ban Roll-on under his right arm and the leading deoderant under his left before entering the state of NJ with a handgun. Now that he's returned, let's see which worked best! And let's check to see if how well those 'depends' underwear work!"

:fie::biggrin:

I used to live in NJ but moved to NC and bought a handgun. But its illegal for me to even bring my gun over the state border of NJ because i'm from out of state. Especially since i'm going to NJ and not just passing through. Can't even lock it up in the trunk (guy got arrested and sent to jail (although released) for just that. If I can't prove I need it, its illegal.

No it is not illegal to bring a handgun into the state of N.J. if you don't live there altho you must follow the rules of n.j.2 c code about locking them in the trunk. Yes I know a guy got arrested for doing the same but but he went about it the wrong way and the Police Officer was wrong in makeing the arrest. No it is not illegal to have Hollow Point or soft Point ammo in your possesion as long as you are going to a shooting range or are returning from a store where you have just purchased same. N.J. has a volantary register of handguns that you can do with a weapon from out of state if you wish to I do not know why anyone would but you can. I would suggest that you write down the Make Model and calibre along with the serial number and take same to the local Police department and request a volantary registration form which is the same as a regular registration form fill out same and go home. There is no repeat no need for the Police Department to see the weapon.
Bill

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back