New-ish to this forum, short intro and question

BlueSquid

Hey all, have been reading threads here for a while. Registered today because I've been having a hard time figuring out a situation through traditional google-fu, wondering if someone here might have some insight.

I'm in the Navy, have been for a little over 4 years and am stationed out of state. I'm married and we have a beautiful baby girl. I love the 2A, the Red Wings, Michigan State and masochistically enjoy sitting through every Lions season. My daughter was born in MI, my wife and I were both born in and grew up in Michigan, it is still my home of record and where my family longs to be. So that's the intro, feel free to ask if you think I missed anything.

From everything I've read, Michigan being my home of record qualifies me for the resident CPL in Michigan as long as I fit into the rest of the guidelines, which I do. I prefer to open carry, and do so on a regular basis, which is why I haven't gotten a CPL yet. However, I do return to Michigan on leave from time to time, and if I can't pull orders there when it's time, at the very least I plan to move back with my wife and daughter when I get out. It is my understanding, however, that although open carry is legal in Michigan, there is no such thing as open carry in a car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means without a CPL I would need to disarm and lock up my gun whenever I hop in to run to the store for some milk, etc.

So I have been considering getting a MI CPL, both for the above reason and because sometimes it's just easier to tuck under a jacket than try to wedge a winter coat between my hip and a grip. My question is this: As active duty military, who is considered a resident of MI for licensing purposes, but lives out of state, how would I go about getting the permit? Am I able to do it all from out of state? Can I take a safety course here that meets the requirements, mail the application/passport photo/safety cert in, and have a local LEO shop print me and forward it to MI? Then have the license itself mailed back to me here? Or will I have to wait until I am back in the state for more than a couple weeks at a time? Also, now that I'm thinking about it, is there any chance Michigan waives the safety course for active duty with proof of pistol proficiency? I know some other states do, but it seems Michigan doesn't, am I correct on this? Any current or former military have experience with this type of thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Look forward to spending more time on the boards with you folks!

Can't help you with your question, but welcome to the board. I say that even though you are a Red Wing Fan..... :)

I appreciate the reply either way, and thank you for the welcome :) I take it from your location that you're a Hawks fan?

"It is my understanding, however, that although open carry is legal in Michigan, there is no such thing as open carry in a car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means without a CPL I would need to disarm and lock up my gun whenever I hop in to run to the store for some milk, etc."

Sorry I missed this question. Yes this is a correct statement. Michigan law states that any weapon in, or on a vehicle is concealed, even if it is in full view, sitting on the dashboard or elsewhere. Dumb? Yes, but that's the way the law is written.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back