New gun: 115 grain vs 124 grain?

firefighterguy

I recently purchased a new xd-s 9mm. I've owned other handguns previously but this is my first brand new one. After researching I've found there are many different opinions out there on what type of ammo to use in the gun straight out of the box. Some say only 124 grain for x rounds and others say it doesn't matter while others say only use 115 grain for x rounds. I've been reading these forums for awhile and finally decided to post to get some quality input.

What are the actual reasons to use one size versus the other? Everyone has their own opinions, I'm just trying to do what's best for the longevity of my investment and the gun I'll be carrying daily. Thanks in advance for the input!

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Your post pretty much shows that you have been thoroughly confused by the Internet. As a remedy, I prescribe weekly range shooting sessions with the cheapest 9mm target ammo you can find. Preferably steel case ammo (unless your firearm user manual explicitly tells you not to use steel case ammo). Here are some pointers:

• Just because you have a new 9mm handgun doesn't mean that you should only shoot a specific bullet weight with it. Anyone suggesting this has probably never owned a handgun, is one of those keyboard ninjas in mom's basement, or, is getting his firearms knowledge from the street. What would be even the reason for this?
  • For new handguns, one typically runs a few hundred rounds of cheap target ammo through it to see if there are any mechanical issues that cause malfunctions, such as failure to feed, misfires, or failure to eject. If there are any of these or other issues, the handgun is under warranty and the manufacturer can help.
  • Once one feels comfortable that the handgun is operating reliably, one chooses his/her self-defense ammo and fires at least 50 rounds of it through the gun to make sure that the handgun can reliably cycle the chosen self-defense ammo.
  • 115 vs. 124 vs. 147 grain means that the bullet weight is different. This is only of concern for self-defense ammo, as different-weight bullets perform differently. This plays into self-defense ammo selection, which is an entirely different topic.
  • Do not be concerned about the longevity of your investment. Generally speaking, quality handguns tend to outlive their owners with proper maintenance. Such proper maintenance typically includes replacing some parts (mainly the springs) after shooting 5,000-10,000 rounds.

Find a round that shoots well in your handgun and learn to shoot it. Most modern controlled-expansion 9mm Parabellum rounds will do the job if you put it where it needs to go, especially double taps. To my knowledge, no one has proved conclusively that 124 gr. bullets perform better or worst than 115 grain bullets in actual shooting situations. Personally, I prefer 115 and 124 gr. hollowpoints over subsonic 147 grain bullets, but that's just my preference. Rule #1 in a gunfight is have a gun. Rule #2 is have the most powerful gun you can handle. If you are unable at anytime to obey Rule #2, always obey Rule #1: HAVE A GUN, on account no one likes to be shot at, whether it's with a .454 or a .22...

Thanks for the great advice. I admit I was confused. You never know what to believe on the Internet. Y'all have really helped to clear it up. I'm very eager to get to the range and start practicing and look forward to learning more about cc as well as handguns in general. I previously owned an xd 40 so I want to become proficient with this new caliber and handgun. Thanks for the advice I look forward to participating more in these forums.

For carry ammo use what your local PD use. Most use Speer or Federal. I use the HST 124 in my 9mm and call it good

I have the hst 124 and gave heard great things about it. I plan to try out a few before making a decision but I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Great videos thanks! I've heard the xds tends to have failures with the Hornady Rounds from more than one person. I'll have to get in the range and find out for myself.

Kimber will only guarantee their SOLO to function with 124gr. or heavier.
I've used 115's for practice but get a few failure to extract with them.

Interesting. I haven't found anything specific from Springfield that states what to use other than "quality" ammunition

The SOLO has a really stiff recoil spring. I don't notice much difference in the recoil between the 115's and 124's but the 147's have quite a bit more.
My guess is the lighter bullets won't compress the spring enough.

Once broken in a semi auto should fire any common weight round, if it don't and you want to use a specific round trade the gun,

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back