New Group Forming in Montana

40s&wfan

Hey y’all, I’m new to the site but not new to the cause! I wanted to let everyone here know about something starting in the Flathead Valley Area of Montana. Myself and a few other friends are in the process of starting a ‘club’ in our area here for Open Carriers and Concealed Carriers. The point of this organization is to promote the lawful and legal carry of firearms for self defense with focus on Open Carry. All carriers will be gladly welcomed! We also have a dual purpose of educating the General Public on the legality and hopefully the acceptability of carrying a firearm for defensive purposes.

This is a Non-Profit organization. We will be meeting occasionally at a local restaurant, probably once or twice a month and welcome anyone to attend these informal meetings. Any input from anyone, whether in or out of Montana, is greatly appreciated. If you’re travelling through this area feel free to drop me a line and some of us would be more than happy to meet you for coffee or eats. Any information and/or pointers from other such organizations are welcome as well as we’re a young and budding group!

Thanks for giving this a read! Stay safe and y’all keep up the great work!

We'll be meeting this next Monday, the 2nd of March at Perkin's in Kalispell if anyone wants to join! We'll start filing in at about 4:00 and will probably call it quits at about six or so! If anyone would like to attend, we would love to have you! OC or CC are welcome. Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
Here's a geewhiz question, what's the law say about carrying on the Flathead or Blackfoot reservations?

Here's a geewhiz question, what's the law say about carrying on the Flathead or Blackfoot reservations?

To my knowledge (and don't quote me on this) you're allowed to carry openly anywhere in the state. Montana Codes Annotated doesn't say anything to the contrary about open carry. Concealed carry is also legal as far as state law allows for. I was told by Sheriff Jim Dupont, Ret. that even though it's considered 'Federal' property, it falls under the category of reciprocity meaning they allow it because it's in Montana but I also wonder at the same time, if they could restrict it. Could Federal Law override it if they wanted to? No city can make a law that overrides state law, but could that be different on a reservation?? Makes you wonder!

To answer your question, Yes it's legal to OC and CC on a reservation. My best answer though would be to call the Sheriff of those counties, Glacier and Lake, and ask them specifically! They could direct you better than I ever could!!

Indian Reservations are soveriegn. You need to contact the tribal representatives and verify that they accept state law in this matter.

Indian Reservations are soveriegn. You need to contact the tribal representatives and verify that they accept state law in this matter.

Fortunately not in the state of Montana!! It is allowed under state laws of reciprocity!!

JUST got off the phone with Bureau of Indian Affairs in the state here and they told me that a Montana CCW Permit is allowed on a reservation because the county has jurisdiction and therefore since the CCW Permit is issued by the county it is authorized! Tribal police cannot restrict it!!!!

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone that might stumble across this know that we'll be having another 'Cuss & Discuss' at Perkin's in Kalispell Thursday April 2nd at 3:00 in the PM. Anyone who wishes to attend is more than welcome to do so. OC or CC if you'd like as that's what we're trying to promote and ultimately raise awareness of!
Hope to see people there!!

Just wanted to let everyone that might stumble across this know that we'll be having another 'Cuss & Discuss' at Perkin's in Kalispell Thursday April 2nd at 3:00 in the PM. Anyone who wishes to attend is more than welcome to do so. OC or CC if you'd like as that's what we're trying to promote and ultimately raise awareness of!
Hope to see people there!!

I'll be interested in hearing how your meeting went. I'm down by the University so it'd be a bit of a drive.... altho I did hit the gunshow up there today.

As an update to anyone wanting to attend, we'll be in the 'Party Room' on the east end of the restaurant. I hope to see any and all wishing to attend! Again, feel free to either OC or CC.

I'll be interested in hearing how your meeting went. I'm down by the University so it'd be a bit of a drive.... altho I did hit the gunshow up there today.

I was at the gun show as well and I can honestly say I've never seen so many people at a gun show in my life!! I was rather surprised! I spent more time ducking and weaving through the people there than I did looking at the merchandise on the tables! I even had merchandise there myself, but I was grossly disappointed when I found that none of it sold! Guess I'll have to save my money for a reloading press another way!!

:frown::angry:

Well, y'all. It's getting to be about that time again. I'm hoping to schedule another get-together, and with the passing of HB-228 we should have a fair amount to talk about!! If anyone here wants to attend, let me know when's good for you. It's best to keep it Monday through Thursday in about the early or mid-afternoon. Let me know, PM me or email me.

Okay y'all. Those of you interested in attending this next 'cuss & discuss' read this: I'm looking at doing it this next week, some time Monday through Thursday at about 1500 at the usual place. If there are no objections, I'll set up a time and reserve the same room at Perkin's. Let me know if anyone here has a preference as to what day of the week they'd rather have it on!!

Okay y'all, this upcoming Tuesday at 1530 at Perkin's. I'm gonna put a few spots on the radio about it if I can but plan on that if you can come. Hope to see any and all who want to come!! As always, remember, OC or CC welcome!!

Okay y'all, just a reminder. It'll be this Tuesday the 12th at Perkin's. I know I put 1530 earlier, but myself and another one or two people will be there at around 1500 just cause we like to be there early!!

Well, I still haven't gotten the Doctor's note from CaptainCrunch excusing him from this past meeting, but all joking aside: the meeting went well for the most part. We had a few newcomers at this one and a few 'Old Salts' there too. Lots of good questions and great discussion. Hopefully some people who weren't there this past time will be able to attend the next time.
Have fun y'all. I promise I'll keep you posted on the next time we have a get-together!

Dang, I feel like a lone supporter in this thread! LOL.
Our next meeting will be Wednesday the 17th between 3:00 and 3:30 at Perkin's restaurant. I'm going to start putting it on the radio this next Monday to let everyone else know that doesn't frequent these forums, in case there's anyone else out there that'd like to come!! Hope to see any and all there!!

Just thought I'd post an AAR about our little 'Cuss & Discuss' yesterday afternoon.

It went quite well. We had a total of 11 or 12 people there altogether and had some great conversation and good company. The icing on the cake was our 'surprise visitor' that came. Former Constitutional Party Presidential Candidate Chuck Baldwin and his two sons showed up with a gentleman that has graced our presence before. Chuck and his sons were visiting the area from Pensacola, Florida and came to see what we were about. What a treat that was!! All I can say is that I hope he runs again in 2012. If so, he's sure got my vote!!
I looked him up on Google and read so much about him, much more than I already knew in the first place! I wish he could have stayed longer for more conversation and questions!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back