New Gift (barrel issue?)

joesmo

Just received a Browning 9mm. Did some searching, made in Belgium in 1969. It looks like it has never been fired, if it has, not too many rounds. Absolutely zero wear, all bluing looks new. The case definately protected it. Was concerned because it looked like the barrel had a stress crack, but after searching, found out this is a result of the two piece barrel and is common. I need to research that a bit more (if anyone knows about this, all help appreciated).

This is my first 9mm, all my others are 45s.. but it is looking like this gun has some history, so I guess I'll keep it.

I would take it to a gunsmith, or at least a gun shop that you trust to take a look at it. Congrats on the gun though, a '69 hi-power is awesome.

took it to a range, and fed it 100 rounds. My first 9mm, but the price was right. I do not think many, if any rounds were ever fired with this. It is really nice.

I still like my 45s better....

Was concerned because it looked like the barrel had a stress crack, but after searching, found out this is a result of the two piece barrel and is common. I need to research that a bit more (if anyone knows about this, all help appreciated).

FN (they actually make the pistol, it is just marked with the Browning name) has been using the 2 piece barrel system for a VERY long time on the Hi Power, so don't worry over it. I've seen it used on Hi Powers from 4 different countries (Belgian, Canadian, Argentine and South African) and it hasn't given out yet. The Hi Power was THE military sidearm of most of the free world for several decades during the Cold War with it being used by 93 nations in one manner or another and is still in use today. your 1911 leather will work with it except for the mag carriers, so you don't have to run out and get all new leather unless you want to.

Your '69 vintage Browning is kinda special in the eyes of Hi Power aficionados because it is 'all Belgian' - meaning that it was made and assembled in the Belgian FN plant rather than like later Browning Hi Powers that were made in Belgium and then assembled in a plant in Portugal. The all Belgian guns are considered to be superior by many to the Belgian made, Portuguese assembled guns.

IF you just have to change it, I'd suggest that you get a hold of Bar-Sto Precision Machine over in California and they can get you a replacement match grade barrel for about $205 plus shipping. The wait is up to 16 to 20 weeks (the last barrel I ordered from them was years ago and it only took about 8 weeks) but Bar-Sto makes a fantastic barrel and they were the ones that made the barrels for the first custom .40S&W conversion of the Hi Power. (When FN started making the Hi Power in .40, they added a 3rd barrel lug to improve lockup, so converting your 2 lugged 9mm to .40 isn't an option.)

Wayne Novak and Cylinder and Slide are the two best known Hi Power smiths that I can think of right off the top of my head. Either one can clean up the trigger (the one weakness that is common in all Hi Powers) with or without doing away with the mag disconnect safety that's part of the design. Cylinder and Slide makes a line of after market parts for it like extended slide locks and safeties, too.

Just received a Browning 9mm. Did some searching, made in Belgium in 1969. It looks like it has never been fired, if it has, not too many rounds. Absolutely zero wear, all bluing looks new. The case definately protected it. Was concerned because it looked like the barrel had a stress crack, but after searching, found out this is a result of the two piece barrel and is common. I need to research that a bit more (if anyone knows about this, all help appreciated).

This is my first 9mm, all my others are 45s.. but it is looking like this gun has some history, so I guess I'll keep it.

Keep it. Visit a gunsmith and see if they can get you a new barrel. It's definitely one to appreciate.

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate it. I think I over reacted on the barrel. I did some homework, and saw many pictures posted showing the same line. Now knowing it is a 2-piece barrel, it is not bothering me at all. Everything is very tite, like I said, don't think it was shot much, if at all. I actually felt guilty taking it to the range.

The holster info, great! thats what I suspected. I have a Kramer for my combat commander that is just too stiff for the 1911 - but seems to be better with the HiPower. I guess it has a nice Kramer now. I will definately keep it - after reading up on the history, decided that it is a keeper for sure.

Thanks again for your help sorting this out.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back