New employee hand book! Not good

KimberPB

Well, the company that I work for was recently bought. I made it through the "cutting the fat" layoffs but just received a link to the new employer's employee handbook. Previous handbook just said no illegal weapons were allowed. This is what the new handbook says. :( ..........

No form of weapon (e.g.,
knives, guns, explosives or
toxic substances) will be
allowed on Company
premises or at Company sponsored
functions. This
includes concealed weapons
for which a person may have
a permit.
Employees who
bring weapons on Company
premises or to functions,
imply they have such weapons
on Company premises or at
functions or make statements
that appear to threaten the
safety of others may be
subject to disciplinary action,
including termination. This
provision applies to any
person who is on Company
premises, with the exception
of law enforcement or
designated security guards.

What I don't understand is how they think they can enforce this at functions offsite (company Christmas party, ect). They can make stupid policies when on there private property but not on property they don't own!!!

I will not tell you what I think of this policy but by Florida state law my work place is not an off limits place sooooo........

Sorry I had to vent.......

Look at the wording closely and think of the NRA definition of "weapon". All of my pistols fall under the category of "firearms". As far as I'm concerned they're not "weapons" because they aren't specifically for use against another human being. They are "sporting tools" that I use for legal activity. Yes, I do have a permit to carry one or more of them on my person. No, I don't threaten anyone. I'm a law abiding citizen who would like to exercise his 2A rights whenever possible.

I've pretty much changed my way of speaking to folks. Don't use the word "weapon" when talking about my "firearms". Puts a different picture in people's minds and it's funny how many folks are more at ease by changing one word in our conversations.

gf

On the other hand remember

if they discover and terminate you are not going to collect unemployment unless your state law specifically prohibits employers from having policies such as this. Be VERY careful. And yes, they can terminate you for carrying at the company picnic at some off-premises location too.

You can always polish up the resume and float it out to see whether you have any other options.

Roger that on the "don't ask, don't tell". Of course, the decision is yours as to what you are willing to risk. My company policy states that "Possession of dangerous or unauthorized materials, such as explosives or firearms is prohibited", and may result in disciplinary action, so it's up to me. But I also carry two Spyderco knives, one in each pocket, which could technically be prohibited as well. I still carry those, too.

there are a lot of us in that same boat. the fire dept which i work for has a policy of no firearms allowed in the building by employees or volunteers. not really a city policy but just a departmental policy brought up after one of the many gun totin volunteers was showin off his new toy and shot a hole in the floor. They are not so stringent as they will terminate anyone but leave that option open in case someone makes a threat. the one good thing about it is they recognize our personal vehicles as our mobile realestate and anything contained within off limits to their scrutiny.

love your signature

+1. I can't carry at work either. So I don't ;)

i love your signature. i have 4 daughters from 6 to 19. your, my fram of mind. my boss lets me carry and i got him and his wife to get their ccw's. i would hate to think of changing jobs.:D

That does suck but, we're in FL so your legally protected I guess. We're also in a right to work state and there's not much you can do to get your paycheck back if you can't pay a lawyer.

I'd hire you if I could use the help and I encourage my employees to carry and they all do. Well, both of us do. ;)

there are a lot of us in that same boat. the fire dept which i work for has a policy of no firearms allowed in the building by employees or volunteers. not really a city policy but just a departmental policy brought up after one of the many gun totin volunteers was showin off his new toy and shot a hole in the floor. They are not so stringent as they will terminate anyone but leave that option open in case someone makes a threat. the one good thing about it is they recognize our personal vehicles as our mobile realestate and anything contained within off limits to their scrutiny.

it's a shame that one guy has to be so excited to show off his stuff that he becomes irresponsable and shoots a hole in the floor and screws it up for everyone else... that kind of stuff just pisses me off.

Post a link

to that restriction on employers. I would like to look at it.

Been searching and can only find that KY has a law that does what you want it to.

So basically, your "employer" now has it in writting that they will be RESPONSIBLE for your safety :cool:

Last edited:
I work at a hospital. It is a "no carry" zone. That is not going to stop me. Sure I MAY be safe on the inside, but what about when I'm walking through the parking lot before sunrise in the am and after the sun sets in the pm (12 hr shifts)?? My "weapon" will be loaded and in my holster until I get inside. Then I'll unload, put it in my purse and lock it in my locker. I would rather get caught with my firearm and get fired than be mugged, raped, or shot. And THAT is my $0.02.:D

Well, I went in and talked to the head of development and QA today. All I said was "I guess no more lunch time range visits!" He looked kinda puzzled so I asked him if he had looked over the new companies hand book yet. After pointing out the weapons section to him he laughed alittle saying "We still going to the range for lunch tomorrow?"

Like most of you said.... I'll just leave it at home ;) ;) :D

You can try to really keep it concealed -- or change jobs or not carry. The truth is they can have a policy like that and can easily enforce it. Florida is an employment at will state. They can terminate you for any reason.

That does suck but, we're in FL so your legally protected I guess. We're also in a right to work state and there's not much you can do to get your paycheck back if you can't pay a lawyer.

I'd hire you if I could use the help and I encourage my employees to carry and they all do. Well, both of us do. ;)

Thanks for offer Memphis!

Sure thing man. I'll let you know when I'm hiring and I have a shoot straight less than 5 minutes from the shop. ;^)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back